What's new

Tabac vs Fine

I read here recently that Fine accoutrements use the same base as Tabac in their soaps

Can any users of both testify that the performance is comparable? Identical....?

I don’t know if they are identical but the performance sure seems similar to me. I am a fan of Tabac and also own Fine Green Vetiver soap. Excellent performance from both!

It's been a while since I used Tabac, but I would say they perform the same. I quit Tabac because it burned me. None of the Fine soaps have burned me, plus I've used 3 Fine pucks all the way through, so that says something. I normally hold onto a hard soap for years, and never get through it. L'Orange Noir is my favorite.

Ingredients listed are the same & in the same order, except for the fragrance components.

I find them to be identical as far as shaving performance goes, and slickness and post-shave. Both of them are excellent!

I have never tried Fine. However, if it’s even remotely similar to Tabac in performance it’s an outstanding soap. I’m going to give it a try myself.

Ingredients listed are the same & in the same order, except for the fragrance components.

I find them to be identical as far as shaving performance goes, and slickness and post-shave. Both of them are excellent!

+1! The difference is scent IMO! My understanding is that Fine ‘reverse’ engineered Tabac.

Fine soaps are the best soaps I don't use often enough, then I use one, and ask myself why I don't use them more often.

Personally, I'd think more of Fine if I wasn't comparing it to Tabac. It's not quite as good - not as rich, somehow.

I'd say comparable but not identical.

Not as good as Tabac. Not even close. Fine is a decent soap if you like their scents. I’ll stick with Tabac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1! The difference is scent IMO! My understanding is that Fine ‘reverse’ engineered Tabac.
From what read somewhere the owner tried to reverse engineer the soap and spend some serious money but kind of failed in the endeavour. Finally he started cold calling the soap makers in Europe and 'probably' stumbled upon the same manufacturer who make soap for Tabac. You can read between the lines for what it is worth.

Fine is a fine soap! Based on my limited experience it is not quite on Tabac's level In the hierarchy of soaps it's an upper tier performer though. To me it ranks below Haslingers, Tabac and Cella in the non-artisan soaps. But, is it considered artisan?

Fine is a fine soap! Based on my limited experience it is not quite on Tabac's level In the hierarchy of soaps it's an upper tier performer though. To me it ranks below Haslingers, Tabac and Cella in the non-artisan soaps. But, is it considered artisan?

And the definition of ‘artisan’ is?? (Very like the definition of ‘craft beer’ IMHO!) :a29:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... he started cold calling the soap makers in Europe and 'probably' stumbled upon the same manufacturer who make soap for Tabac. You can read between the lines for what it is worth.

Sounds like a lot of speculation. I've been to Stolberg, went inside at Dalli-Werke Mäurer und Wirtz. They're huge. Nobody makes Tabac for them!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I find Fine pucks a bit more firm, but it definitely has the advantage with the variety of scents available.

Scent aside, Tabac will always remain the gold standard of performance with its famous slickness.

Hey guys!

You’re comparing FINE & TABAC soaps, understanding that you have already used both.

Considering that FINE products belong to the solid varieties of soaps, please tell me how difficult is it to make lather from FINE soaps in comparison to soft cream/artisan soaps like from the puck like “Razorock” or “WSP” for example.

I've never used FINE soaps before.

Would be glad to hear your comments.

Hey guys!

You’re comparing FINE & TABAC soaps, understanding that you have already used both.

Considering that FINE products belong to the solid varieties of soaps, please tell me how difficult is it to make lather from FINE soaps in comparison to soft cream/artisan soaps like from the puck like “Razorock” or “WSP” for example.

I've never used FINE soaps before.

Would be glad to hear your comments.

Good question.

Fine/Tabac/Triple Milled hard soaps in general = soak the puck + 20 seconds of brush loading.

Soft soaps/P160/RR/WK/Etc. = I still throw some water on the puck. + about 10 seconds of brush loading.

NOTE: Hard soaps that stay in rotation stay slightly hydrated. Therefore, they are more likely to produce a great lather at 20 seconds. Soft soaps only care about staying hydrated if you leave them sitting unused for a year or 2. (in my experience.)

Top Bottom