What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

I'm one who loves everything about Tabac but I'm posting to give a shout out to M&W's other shave soap/scent that's no longer in production, Sir Irisch Moos. I've got a few of the sticks ( only way it came ) that I grated and " bowled" , aftershave and EdT. Love it too.
Not true!
It was at one time available as a shaving cream, in a tube. In fact, the line used to be much more expansive, including bath soap, shampoo, hair tonic, gift sets, a sensitive line...
Here's a brief history of Irisch Moos:
It was originally created as just one of several scents under the house brand SIR International, a subsidiary men's line of the 4711 brand, headquartered in Köln, West Germany, one of the oldest cologne brands in the world, and where the English term "cologne" comes from. Cologne is the English translation for the German city of Köln.
"SIR" was 4711's original scent specifically for men. This was expanded into a "line" designated SIR International, with scents such as Canada Cedar, Champaca, Irisch Moos, Ice (and later Ice Blue), as well as the original SIR scent. There was even an electric pre-shave called SIR Elect.
4711 and SIR International, were owned by Ferd. Mühlens company of Köln, which created an elaborate Coat of Arms logotype to distinguish the expanded "SIR" line. Eventually, the word "International" was dropped but "SIR" continued to be featured prominently on the product, with the individual scents being printed on a small band at the bottom of the label. During this era, the name of the manufacturing subsidiary changed to "SIR Cosmetics."
The Irisch Moos scent's enormous popularity led to the maufacturer changing the label, reducing the SIR designation and crest, and emblazoning the name "Irisch Moos" in large type on the bottle, thus making it, in a sense, a brand of its own.
The brand passed into the hands of the current owners, Mäuer & Wirtz, who changed the packaging yet again, minimizing the SIR logo on the box, and eliminating it altogether from the bottle. I believe the other scents in the line were long gone by this time.
As the brand lost relevance and market-share in Germany, it has been reduced, to the few products we see to-day.
Irisch Moos was never anything more than a common drug-store brand in Germany, no offence intended. In fact, the name irisch moos ("Irish Moss" in English), was a generic term, immune from copyright protection on its own. There was, at one time, a competitor brand of Irisch Moos, originally as a sub-scent of the Robroy fragrence and later a scent in its own right, by manufacturer Eichen & Co., also of Köln, Germany.

It smells like Chanel Number 5. Very floral. Not sure why they call it "Tabac" as if it had any hint of tobacco? I actually like the smell, and have used it as a shave soap, but for a cologne it's WAY too girly for me. I think the REAL "best kept secret" is why they call it TABAC? :001_rolle
The name "Tabac" itself is no secret. It's French for tobacco. And although it's still a foreign word in Germany, the German word for tobacco is tabak, so to Germans the derivation of the word is clear.
Whether you get a sense of tobacco when you smell it is a subjective thing, but the scent profile is intended to convey that perception, of the tobacco flower, at least.
By the way, the various species of flowering tobacco plants are part of the nightshade family, meaning they're poisonous, so perhaps "Jerry" is having the last laugh, after all!

Based largely on this thread, I recently picked up a bowl of Tabac (man, that porcelain bowl is beautiful!). I’ve only had two shaves with it so far, but I have not been disappointed. Here are my thoughts thus far:

- it lathers as easily as a soft soap (even though it is triple milled)

- the lather is rich and slick in no time, like really rich and slick!

- it lathers like a champ in hard water! This is very important to me, as I usually have to use citric acid in my shave water, but not with Tabac!

- it is very forgiving. I over-hydrated it on my first shave, but it still worked very well

- the scent is nice once you get used to it - I’ve been pairing it with Old Spice cologne, and it seems like a great combo

All in all, I’m very pleased with Tabac. I look forward to many, many “Tabac Tuesdays” (and Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and...)

Based largely on this thread, I recently picked up a bowl of Tabac (man, that porcelain bowl is beautiful!). I’ve only had two shaves with it so far, but I have not been disappointed. Here are my thoughts thus far:

- it lathers as easily as a soft soap (even though it is triple milled)

- the lather is rich and slick in no time, like really rich and slick!

- it lathers like a champ in hard water! This is very important to me, as I usually have to use citric acid in my shave water, but not with Tabac!

- it is very forgiving. I over-hydrated it on my first shave, but it still worked very well

- the scent is nice once you get used to it - I’ve been pairing it with Old Spice cologne, and it seems like a great combo

All in all, I’m very pleased with Tabac. I look forward to many, many “Tabac Tuesdays” (and Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and...)

It's better than most commercial and artisan soaps in every aspect, especially its slick low structured lather and superb magical manly scent.

I’m also a big fan—and a recent convert. The scent has grown on me (it’s a pleasant floral to my nose), and its performance is simply outstanding.

I have to say no. I will say that Tabac produces a very creamy and luxurious lather, and it smells nice, but it lacks the protection of some of the very best soaps out there. I think that Feather blades are some of the sharpest produced and are very demanding of good technique. Unless you are careful, you will end up with blood. Yesterday I used a feather and Grooming Department soap. I ended up with a very close and blood free shave. Today I used Tabac and the Feather and I had a few nicks. I do feel like there is a difference in the protection provided between these two products. Tabac is good but it is a little shy of some of the best products out there.

I love my Tabac. It’s one of the easiest soaps with which to create a great lather, and I’ve come to love the smell, too. It’s now a smell I associate with a great shave.

After 308 posts, the secret of Tabac might - just might - have got out beyond the tiny clique of users. As we now know, this is produced in small numbers on a goose farm in Azerbaijan by Slobodan, his wife Laima and his rather lazy son Yadigar who is more interested in video games. It's a mystery to me how so many people seem to have got hold of it. I will be reporting this to the Azerbaijani authorities, of course....... there may be a reward.....

After 308 posts, the secret of Tabac might - just might - have got out beyond the tiny clique of users. As we now know, this is produced in small numbers on a goose farm in Azerbaijan by Slobodan, his wife Laima and his rather lazy son Yadigar who is more interested in video games. It's a mystery to me how so many people seem to have got hold of it. I will be reporting this to the Azerbaijani authorities, of course....... there may be a reward.....

Slobodan makes Tabac?, his brother Abubakan told me he makes it!.

Slobodan makes Tabac?, his brother Abubakan told me he makes it!.

I think this explains why supplies of Tabac are getting out to the West. Abubakan seems to have a sweat-shop in the nearby village making knock-off versions of Tabac, and then shipping them out at night in ox carts. He hasn't quite got the scent right but apparently he's working on it.....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think this explains why supplies of Tabac are getting out to the West. Abubakan seems to have a sweat-shop in the nearby village making knock-off versions of Tabac, and then shipping them out at night in ox carts. He hasn't quite got the scent right but apparently he's working on it.....
Now I just gotta try Tabac!

I don't know where you get your information, but everybody knows Tabac is produced in West Germany...
by elves in the Black Forest.

I loved the smell of the good old sexy Tabac, however, I’ve only got two more weeks to go before spring season starts. Damn!

I need to move there for 6 months. That's how long a Michigan winter is.
You poor baby, play some music

proxy.php

Top Bottom