What's new

Synthetic Summer

I have one on the way. It’s been on the way for over a week, sadly.
I hope you like it. It’s a really nice brush, I think PAA brush handles are really under appreciated. They are retro inspired styles that feel fantastic to hold. The synthetic fibers are really great performers. It’s a lot of brush for $20.
I know the waiting must be agonizing but I think it’ll be worth it.

I hope you like it. It’s a really nice brush, I think PAA brush handles are really under appreciated. They are retro inspired styles that feel fantastic to hold. The synthetic fibers are really great performers. It’s a lot of brush for $20.
I know the waiting must be agonizing but I think it’ll be worth it.

I’m pretty excited. I already have the Solar Flare and Starcraft. PAA has been top notch so far.

Still the Trafalgar T2

Gillette Brazilian Goodwill - unchanged
Astra SP - unchanged, but a new blade
Proraso Red - unchanged

(The Proraso Green got into the picture so it doesn’t seem I’m recycling the same photo over and over again)

B83DB5F7-C4B5-4525-B508-449F6E02C345.jpeg

Still not sold on the T2 over the T3.

If I didn’t suspect the T3 is giving me too much “exfoliation”, I’d probably use the T3 exclusively. To be continued...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, June 7th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic (MMOC)-1st gen(buttonless) 1930-32,2nd gen (Button shims) 1933-41, excellent mid range> I like to use this razor when # of shaves on a blade gets higher because it has a little more blade feel. Built to last and looks it, nice weight also. Solid brass.
1st razor made to "Twist to open" in the world, very advanced for its time period.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Italian barber Amici- mild positive citrus scent, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Red Zebra 26mm :001_wub: of all my synthetics brushes this one ticks all the boxes for my type of brush, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, just the right amount of backbone for a gentle scrub(no heavy pressure mashing will ruin any brush) + excellent lather painter which combines it to feel of high quality luxury feel when lathering.(it does not get much better for myself)
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated blade.

Brush collage June 7th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Does anybody find with their synthetic, depending in what you are doing, somtimes you have to "pop" the bristles open? Like they stay shut, and you push a little harder and it gives and the bristles splay? Its hard to describe.. is that special to a certain type of synthetic or do all sorta display that characteristic?
Yeah, most synthetics have kind of an "all or nothing' kind of action while splaying. At least the bulbs do. Not so much the fan shapes.

What has formed your view on synthetics? What don't you like?
Before coming to B&B I used almost exclusively boars and my barber used a boar as well. My only badger was a gift and rather floppy so it didn’t see much use. Then I got here and everything was brushes. And those Yaqi Synths had such nice handles didn’t cost much so what the heck. Learning the vocabulary to express what I wanted and what I missed in my badger was Backbone! Now I know I was rather after scrub AND backbone but that I haven’t found in any of them. With backbone in a Synth you get springiness, they have a tendency to fling the lather around and don’t splay easily. Scrub as stated above I haven’t found at all. So the few Synths that I kept are soft and splay rather well.
I kept:
the cheapest Omega S-Brush
00713905-8FB9-4A62-9127-F7BBC426162B.jpeg

a Yaqi Rainbow Pony
FB41F858-E834-4156-901B-729E7F723138.jpeg

and a T3 that I’m rather uncertain about
D63FEEE7-B887-4EDA-A985-E40BEEFFEA87.jpeg

Furthermore there is a F-400 that I use exclusively for headshaving
D9246E18-D20B-4172-AB5B-486221A76367.jpeg

and as I’m easily swayed I ordered a new Yaqi with G5 fibers that somehow should behave like natural ones…
0DFB3EF1-8DAA-4E87-B2DB-81FBB4425CD5.jpeg

2C7E1E49-1638-4E92-AB29-D99FEB3EEBCF.jpeg

My brush today was from AP Shave Co. and has interchangeable “ferrules”. I like it but I’ve never used a natural hair brush. I’ve never had a problem with a brush flinging lather but I’m a bowl latherer and I don’t mash/splay on my face I just paint it on. I like my synthetics but I do get the feeling a synthetic to a good badger is like a Prius to a Corvette

B842D2F6-15E9-4CD0-B839-E5D4EA077AD7.jpeg
AB4BB98A-520C-4AFE-A739-3EBEEEE198FE.jpeg
Although I like to think of this as my first shaving brush, it’s really my second. The first one was a regrettable amazon purchase that shed like a German Shepard. After that, I learned there were actual shaving retailers, quality products, and a crazy lil shaving community!! 😂

I found my way to the PAA site and picked up this lil synthetic number! I bought 2 brushes with different knots because I wasn’t sure which would work best. Between the two, I kept this one because it had more backbone and I gifted the other to a friend. I’ve been happy with this handsome little brush, and it’s never failed to easily whip up a fantastic lather!
💈🖖🏼💈

Top Bottom