What's new

Synthetic Summer

Simpson Trafalgar T2 tonight. Nice enough brush but I much prefer the Simpson Platinum bristles over the T2’s Sovereign (except for the Simpson Classic synth which sucks). Of course the Platinum upgrade comes at a high cost. The Trafalgar series are of similar quality as my Yaqis. Nice but not top tier IMO.

C8903D9E-BD3E-4116-9E2A-962344FAEACF.jpeg

and a T3 that I’m rather uncertain about

@Multum in parvo , if you don’t mind my asking, what are you uncertain about the T3? The reason I’m asking is that I have both the T2 and the T3 and am also uncertain about it. In my case, I think it may be over-exfoliating because of its density.

Used it this morning after using the T2 some days in a row, but... don’t know.

PS. I apologize if I’m starting to sound like a broken record over this T2 x T3 thing.

@Multum in parvo , if you don’t mind my asking, what are you uncertain about the T3? The reason I’m asking is that I have both the T2 and the T3 and am also uncertain about it. In my case, I think it may be over-exfoliating because of its density.

Used it this morning after using the T2 some days in a row, but... don’t know.

PS. I apologize if I’m starting to sound like a broken record over this T2 x T3 thing.
It has been a while since I have used it so maybe it is time to revisit it and post my current experiences here.

Contrary to you I was missing some scrub and due to the size and density had some issues with flow through.

It has been a while since I have used it so maybe it is time to revisit it and post my current experiences here.

Contrary to you I was missing some scrub and due to the size and density had some issues with flow through.

Thank you!

Interesting how different perspectives might get to similar evaluations. I can see the point you make about flow.

RR SLOC + WCS 84s handle (George Jetson Edition)
Perma-Sharp Super (5)
Yaqi Purple Haze/Mew Brown synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 pre-shave soap as stick
Haslinger Schafmilch as stick + Omega Eucalyptus soap
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya

Operation: "Odds & Ends" continues...

Simpsons Chubby 3 LE Sovereign Fibre brush whipped up the Wickham Shamrock Tweed while face lathering. This brush is pretty impressive. It has some scrubby/scritchy qualities that a lot of synthetic brushes lack. It seems like the Sovereign Fibre had other performance design considerations besides just being the softest brush. It is a great lather generator and I enjoy the face presence.
92F2C9F4-F7FA-4058-B98C-235F95CA3C7F.jpeg
E5729D6C-C627-4AD3-972B-ACA5CC45ADD1.jpeg
A5283FE2-52CB-45D5-BAD3-D95A7A8BC111.jpeg

1958 Super Speed (D2)
Gillette Nacet Stainless (7)
Yaqi 30mm Boss Synthetic
B&M Latha Lavanda

20210608.jpg

I did not intended to use a synthetic brush on two consecutive days this month, but the Yaqi Purple Haze had been selected for the 7th as part of my tribute shave and now I'm back to the regularly scheduled program. I usually use the Boss for head shaves, but it came up in the rotation so it got the nod this morning. I had expected this brush to be much too large for face-lathering, but that's why we test and verify. It worked great for me and held enough lather for four full passes and still had some left over. I guess the relatively short loft helped to keep it under control. Another fine shave for the books. Be well and stay safe...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Synthetic Summer
Razor: Ikon TEK (TiBam Ti Antique)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive (26mm Tuxedo)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
shave 20210608_113539_2.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed! The BC Silvertip is a great brush. It was my first "real" synthetic and still one of my favorites.

Right? And sub-$20 too. It blows away any Simpson synthetic I’ve tried. The thing I like best about this brush is that it controls lather application better than other synthetics. And I don’t get wet lather running down my arms or lather getting flung all over the creation.

Thank you!

Interesting how different perspectives might get to similar evaluations. I can see the point you make about flow.
1st SS shave
IMG_0480.jpg

Pre:-
Razor: Yuma
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: T3
Cream: Musgo Real
Result: DFS

Building lather in the Pereira was much easier for me than previous attempts in the Captain's Choice or Fine.

It worked well painting lather on but is still hard to splay and also for whatever reasons I find the grip not optimal for my hands as the overall brush is top heavy.

Never the less I have put it back into rotation and will use it some more before I give my final verdict - so thanks @Cesare

092D12CB-3A18-4BB8-B4FF-D2307C4A9A6D.jpeg

My PAA Phantom Aerolite finally arrived yesterday. I usually face lather, but used a bowl today, and it made loads of excellent lather. It’s a very large brush, more so than I was expecting. Ordinarily I’d say too big for my taste, but it worked very well and I love the look, so I’m pleased.

Top Bottom