What's new

Syngents Straight Shave Journal

He is going to shave tonight. .. and finally get back to the regular schedule, plus I have a shiny new stone to play with

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... and I now have a 30x/60x loupe with an LED so you can look at stuff up close!

Hey! Wait a minute!
Didn't you say that stone was for Christmas? Oh boy, oh boy! Someone's gonna be in trubble!

No for birthday from mum... but she couldn't find it so I had to buy it myself lol I'm not a supposed to touch it till the 20th though... almost as bad as the secret santa box torturing me at the moment lol

No for birthday from mum... but she couldn't find it so I had to buy it myself lol I'm not a supposed to touch it till the 20th though... almost as bad as the secret santa box torturing me at the moment lol

Really enjoying your thread. I'm heading in the same direction as you in reguards to straight shaving. What do you think is in the santa box? Have you cheated and shook it or peeled a corner?

Will have to call tonights shave the JMallen special,.. using my JMallen original made brush, the Omega cream he sent me,.. i honed up a wee bit on my brand new Naniwa s12000 stropped up this pipe straight that is just passing through but needs a few shaves to make sure its ready... unfortunately my time off with Bruces Red ring has made me not ready again.

Although it was okay for the most part i did catch myself once with a minor nick nothing major mind you but still,.. the shave was a very good DFS but not where it should be,.. but only a few shaves more i should be okay again, I think i need to take time off from the DEs and having some great razors on loan from some cool Birds on the forum

unless a 1905 double ring is on its way its all straights all the time for the near future while i get my hand back to where it should be and then keep it there so i dont keep going backwards everytime i take a few shaves off

the stone was impressive tonight though,... but dont tell anyone, as im not supposed to use it till after the 20th !! (my bday)

$2012-12-10 23.38.51.jpg

Alright This threads been quiet for a while as my shave stuff has calmed down a bit, but i also tried a tour on my DE's and SE's as of late and my first shave back to my straights after a few weeks off again set me back. Really didnt think that was going to be a problem, but this time i believe it was just lack of focus as the DEs dont really require much, think I was just going to fast and not paying enough attention.

I had no cuts or anything a little burn, but it was not as close a shave as I would have liked so tonight I'm going to slow down and make each stroke count, and also turn to the "Friday" blade as it seems To be my go to guy

Also seems like ill have an incoming friend to add to the mix soon too, but more on that story as it develops

Ill update tonights shave after I have it done

That was much better, Took my time and got a great shave from my first razor
The Friday Blade never fails me

$2013-02-25 23.22.21.jpg

Haha wow its been a while since I've visited this section, never knew you were going to do straights. I had a spare practice strop I offered you a while ago. But glad you are loving straight razors. I am restoring a few right now and prefer em over my DE. But the EJ89 is just so easy to get a BBS compared to my straight.

Haha wow its been a while since I've visited this section, never knew you were going to do straights. I had a spare practice strop I offered you a while ago. But glad you are loving straight razors. I am restoring a few right now and prefer em over my DE. But the EJ89 is just so easy to get a BBS compared to my straight.

well after almost a year of swinging both ways, I thought it was time to go straight, and i do prefer it that way

So.....straight shaving is not like riding a bicycle, it's more like a golf swing, take time off and regress. I've spent so much time in the Nib, I forgot about trying a straight. I'm not sure I have the patience to stick with it.....Maybe i'll try, who knows........

So.....straight shaving is not like riding a bicycle, it's more like a golf swing, take time off and regress. I've spent so much time in the Nib, I forgot about trying a straight. I'm not sure I have the patience to stick with it.....Maybe i'll try, who knows........

i don't think it has to be a regression. at least not in my experience.. I had to take off almost half a year (just a bit less) from wet shaving. Once I had the straight back in my hand, the moment I put the blade to my face, the feeling and muscle memory came flooding back ...

Last edited:
i don't think it has to be a regression. at least not in my experience.. I had to take off almost half a year (just a bit less) from wet shaving. Once I had the straight back in my hand, the moment I put the blade to my face, the feeling and muscle memory came flooding back ...

That's encouraging. Maybe it's just a matter of concentration. DE's seem to be easier to think less with, straights seem to get you more when you don't give them respect.

Not to get off topic but I hope you are closer to being back to normal with your leg. That was a pretty bad looking break.

It was me taking time off during learning, that hurt... once you have it down its all good, or I hope so anyway lol

So Sam loaned me a Sanguine Shavette to play with, man the first few strokes were really smooth and surprising, specially since my curiosity got the better of me and i wasnt lathered or anything just wanted to feel it. it was so smooth and felt great with an astra i chucked in it I washed my face lathered up and hit my first pass almost instantly. Ill never look down on shavettes again that was a great shave. Lots of hair removal felt very comfortable and the feedback they give is very fulfilling

then came the second pass south-north lol well as great as these shave, they are not very forgiving either i had three good hits around my jaw where i lost concentration and my angle went way to shallow and i caught myself pretty good. I was a bit rough after the shave but it showed some flaws in my technique I must have been let slipping with the straights. Im going to keep using this for a while see if i can have the same eureka moment Sam had and if it improves my straight shaves any further as well

Wasn't the best shave ive given myself, but it was not all that bad either. They are fun cheap and easy to maintain so i could see keeping one around the den, as it certainly has a purpose here

Top Bottom