What's new

Sword Edge "Cheadle" slant

I bought one recently for £15 or so and tried it a couple of days ago. Made entirely of stainless steel, it's quite heavy.
20220412_112137.jpg

It's also quite badly cast. You can see the top cap in the above image and below is not very even at the corner.
20220412_111522.jpg

The base plate has what looks like cracking and a dent, although I believe this is due to a problem with the mould and not cracking in the base plate itself.
20220412_112041.jpg

20220412_112036.jpg

Because of the extremely clumsy manufacturing, it's difficult to judge how well a blade is aligned in terms of even exposure on both sides. It's fair to say, it's not possible to align a blade perfectly.

I found it quite difficult to shave with: sometimes, it would plough through hair and I wouldn't even feel it working; at other times, there would be significant blade feel. No doubt this is at least in part due to lack of familiarity with how it handles. However, I didn't finish my shave with it in the end as I didn't have much confidence in the razor and felt that it was far too heavy and more aggressive than I would ever need a slant to be.

I planned to return it based on the manufacturing defects but the vendor (Sword Edge themselves) offered me a £5 refund if I keep the razor. I decided to keep it as a stainless steel handle for £10 is worth it (the handle has no defects but, as I noted in another thread, making a handle from stainless steel is much easier than precision manufacturing a head and base plate).

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I bought one recently for £15 or so and tried it a couple of days ago. Made entirely of stainless steel, it's quite heavy.

Interesting. Looks like a Globusmann copy. The old RazoRock Stealth slants are also stainless remakes of the Globusmann but with good machining and fit. I have a V4 (if I am correct) and it's a lovely, fairly mild slant. One of my favourites! The RR version is also rather massive; gravity-powered shaving. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom