What's new

Surprise, surprise... I'm indecisive

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Last week I picked up some .45 ACP in preparation for purchasing a 1911 in the next few weeks. I have been doing lots of research for the past six to nine months and thought that I had my decision down to two or three solid choices. I was thinking about a Colt Competition Series 70 Government model, a Dan Wesson Pointman, or a Dan Wesson A2. I like the refined look of the DW Valor more than the Pointman, but since they don't make the Valor anymore, the Pointman might be a suitable option.

This pistol would be a purely a recreational gun. I have my 9mm's, my Taurus Judge, some rifles, and some shotguns to deal with a defensive threat situation.

Where my indecision comes into play, is since I have no intention of needing it for anything other than the enjoyment of shooting, holding (dry firing), and looking at it, would I be just as happy with a $700-$900 gun, opposed to a $1100-$1500 1911? I don't mind spending the money on a nicer gun, but if I'm not going to notice much of a difference in performance and feel, then I don't have much of a need to spend an extra $200-$500 for a DW instead of a Colt or Springfield.

Any thoughts on the matter?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Would you ever wear the Dan Wesson open carry to say, a barbecue?

If no, then no, not much different then a Springfield. If yes, then yes! It’s a Dan Wesson! :)

I plan on showing off my Springfield Champion at a few barbecue’s when I get it. Just being able to get up every day and open the safe to look at it makes it worth it. :)

There are a few things in life I’d have buyers guilt with after purchase. A Dan Wesson 1911 wouldn’t be one of them.

Hope this enabling helps you in your decision Erik. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sold my Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot. Just never seemed to carry it or meld with it but it certainly was the most accurate 1911 style pistol I have ever shot.

Change gears completely and get a revolver I say.

But if not, then yes, I think you’ll notice the difference.

If you have a dealer that carries them the Sig 1911s are also worth a look.

That said I'd be leaning toward the Dan Wesson. The couple I've handled were very, very nice. I think they represent value somewhat in excess of their price, at least that's their reputation.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Last week I picked up some .45 ACP in preparation for purchasing a 1911 in the next few weeks. I have been doing lots of research for the past six to nine months and thought that I had my decision down to two or three solid choices. I was thinking about a Colt Competition Series 70 Government model, a Dan Wesson Pointman, or a Dan Wesson A2. I like the refined look of the DW Valor more than the Pointman, but since they don't make the Valor anymore, the Pointman might be a suitable option.

This pistol would be a purely a recreational gun. I have my 9mm's, my Taurus Judge, some rifles, and some shotguns to deal with a defensive threat situation.

Where my indecision comes into play, is since I have no intention of needing it for anything other than the enjoyment of shooting, holding (dry firing), and looking at it, would I be just as happy with a $700-$900 gun, opposed to a $1100-$1500 1911? I don't mind spending the money on a nicer gun, but if I'm not going to notice much of a difference in performance and feel, then I don't have much of a need to spend an extra $200-$500 for a DW instead of a Colt or Springfield.

Any thoughts on the matter?

I'm also considering the A2. It certainly seems to be very well made. Great value for the price.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My thoughts are that if you settle for the less expensive one you will always wonder “what if” and wind up buying it later.
So you may as well drop the extra money!

Thank goodness I fell in love with my LCP.
It goes with me everywhere.
It will be enjoying an Astros game with me here soon.

Get the Colt.

If 1911-guns prove to be one's bag then he can sample additional brands in future. There's a certain something about owing and shooting a real Colt that can't be denied. Sometimes even the best clone can't satisfy that gratification and that nod to firearms history declared by the "Rampant Colt" on the pistol's slide. I'm loyal to Colt. I'll depend on Colts for personal defense. I love them "prancin' ponies." I expect much from the guns owned and Colt 1911-guns have delivered in spades whether it was made a century ago or within the last year or two. Every one has unfailingly been well-mannered, unfussy, and just as dependable as that brand of pistol that uses the term "perfection" in its advertising slogan. I'd buy the Colt and be happy.

Oh wait. That's what I've done through the years and I'm happy.

Nothing wrong with them. The Remingtons seem ok too. Ithaca started making them again a few years ago. Lot of nice ones out there.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Would you ever wear the Dan Wesson open carry to say, a barbecue?

If no, then no, not much different then a Springfield. If yes, then yes! It’s a Dan Wesson! :)

I plan on showing off my Springfield Champion at a few barbecue’s when I get it. Just being able to get up every day and open the safe to look at it makes it worth it. :)

There are a few things in life I’d have buyers guilt with after purchase. A Dan Wesson 1911 wouldn’t be one of them.

Hope this enabling helps you in your decision Erik. :)

I can't imagine that I'd carry it at all. I have my HKs and my P365 for that.

Sold my Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot. Just never seemed to carry it or meld with it but it certainly was the most accurate 1911 style pistol I have ever shot.

Good to know. Thanks. I don't plan on carrying it, but if it didn't excite you either way, then that's something to consider.

Change gears completely and get a revolver I say.

But if not, then yes, I think you’ll notice the difference.

Revolvers will more than likely be my next two handguns after this. A .357 Mag and a .45lc.

If you have a dealer that carries them the Sig 1911s are also worth a look.

That said I'd be leaning toward the Dan Wesson. The couple I've handled were very, very nice. I think they represent value somewhat in excess of their price, at least that's their reputation.

A Sig TACOPS .45 1911 was the first 1911 that I'd shot. It turned me off of 1911's until I tried a Colt. I thought the Sig felt less balanced, the frame felt sharp in the hand, and my groupings were less than expected.

I'm also considering the A2. It certainly seems to be very well made. Great value for the price.

It does seem like bare bones 1911 goodness, and potential to become a great workhorse.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My thoughts are that if you settle for the less expensive one you will always wonder “what if” and wind up buying it later.
So you may as well drop the extra money!

Thank goodness I fell in love with my LCP.
It goes with me everywhere.
It will be enjoying an Astros game with me here soon.

I've sold some of the "what if's" throughout my life. Regardless of the price, I just want a good, fun, and reliable 1911.

Get the Colt.

If 1911-guns prove to be one's bag then he can sample additional brands in future. There's a certain something about owing and shooting a real Colt that can't be denied. Sometimes even the best clone can't satisfy that gratification and that nod to firearms history declared by the "Rampant Colt" on the pistol's slide. I'm loyal to Colt. I'll depend on Colts for personal defense. I love them "prancin' ponies." I expect much from the guns owned and Colt 1911-guns have delivered in spades whether it was made a century ago or within the last year or two. Every one has unfailingly been well-mannered, unfussy, and just as dependable as that brand of pistol that uses the term "perfection" in its advertising slogan. I'd buy the Colt and be happy.

I like the legacy that Colt carries.

Right now, Dan Wesson is the best value going far a 1911.

That's what I've heard.

I'm a Colt 1911 fan.

Oh, that didn't help, did it?

It actually does help. :001_smile

I have a Sig RCS Compact, commander length slide on officer model frame, basically. It was intended as a carry weapon and all the edges are rounded or at least broken. I've handled a Tacops and I get what you're saying. None of mine have a rail, they definitely introduce some rough edges and a different feel.

I was the first person to ever ask for a Sig 1911 when I ordered the RCS at my local store. EVERYBODY in the store had handled it by the time I picked it up. The owner liked it enough to start stocking a few Sigs along with his usual Kimber selection.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just to muddy the waters. The Dan Wesson that I did meld with and did not sell.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Any quality 1911 will probably do. My first was a Springfield Armory that started as a plain jane govt. model, except it was blued steel, not parkerized. It has been modified incrementally over the years till it looks like one with all the bells and whistles (of 20 years ago), and is quite accurate. My second is a Colt series 80, that has had less done to it. I bought the Colt just so I could say I had a Colt, but I wish it had been a series 70. The Colt is obviously a quality weapon, but of the two, I prefer the Springfield (largely because of the modifications I've done or had done). My suggestion is to buy a 1911 which doesn't need anything done to it in order to suite you. Things like a good trigger, does it have a beavertail safety, adjustable sights if you want them, extended controls if you want them, extended magazine release button if you need it, checkering, etc. The aftermarket parts for the 1911 are as varied as those for the AR 15 or an Rem 870 shotgun. A lot of reliability complaints for 1911s stem from people swapping parts to modify their guns to suit them. Even the "drop-in" parts may need some fitting. Handle several in the store, shoot some if you can and determine which modifications are important to you and then buy whatever quality gun already has the mods you want. Even if you pay more up front, you will save in the long run over having aftermarket modification done later, with a whole lot of frustration and aggravation avoided.

OkieStubble

Any quality 1911 will probably do. My first was a Springfield Armory that started as a plain jane govt. model, except it was blued steel, not parkerized. It has been modified incrementally over the years till it looks like one with all the bells and whistles (of 20 years ago), and is quite accurate. My second is a Colt series 80, that has had less done to it. I bought the Colt just so I could say I had a Colt, but I wish it had been a series 70. The Colt is obviously a quality weapon, but of the two, I prefer the Springfield (largely because of the modifications I've done or had done). My suggestion is to buy a 1911 which doesn't need anything done to it in order to suite you. Things like a good trigger, does it have a beavertail safety, adjustable sights if you want them, extended controls if you want them, extended magazine release button if you need it, checkering, etc. The aftermarket parts for the 1911 are as varied as those for the AR 15 or an Rem 870 shotgun. A lot of reliability complaints for 1911s stem from people swapping parts to modify their guns to suit them. Even the "drop-in" parts may need some fitting. Handle several in the store, shoot some if you can and determine which modifications are important to you and then buy whatever quality gun already has the mods you want. Even if you pay more up front, you will save in the long run over having aftermarket modification done later, with a whole lot of frustration and aggravation avoided.

Nice post John. I have shot a few 1911's. Sig, Taurus, Ithaca, Rock Armory, a few Kimber's and Springfield's. I've shot a Colt Pony, but would love to try a Colt Gov't model just to say that I did. I will most likely have a Springfield gifted to me upon retirement. I have always wanted a 1911. I actually want two. One Mil-Spec and another with all the bells & whistles you speak of.

Academy Sports has a Mil-Spec I have been eyeing for not too much money.

Springfield Armory 1911 MIL-SPEC .45 ACP Pistol | Academy

I would get it now, If I only new exactly what the retirement pistol is going to be. I've dropped an occasional hint over the last few years, but it could be a Glock for all I know. I'm a Glock fanboy and have purchased many, but the last thing I want is one given to me. :)

OkieStubble

Get the Colt.

Nice post. Does this go for newer Colt 1911's or just the older ones? I found a Colt 1991 gov't series for just under $900 bones. I definitely hear more people make a fuss over a series 80?

Top Bottom