What's new

Surprise, surprise... I'm indecisive

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Academy Sports has a Mil-Spec I have been eyeing for not too much money.

Springfield Armory 1911 MIL-SPEC .45 ACP Pistol | Academy

:)

That is essentially the gun I bought years ago, except blue steel and even more rudimentary sights (no dots), cromo barrel, no SS., but I bought it as a base gun upon which to build my competition gun incrementally. I was just getting into IPSC competition and couldn't afford a "race gun". Although my 1911 pales in comparison to todays race guns, it did what I needed it to do, to include going to Gunsite. If one wants a GI spec gun just to have a piece of history, go for it. If I had it to do over, I would buy a gun that had all the features I wanted from the get go. That original Springfield did teach me that I'm no gunsmith!! LOL!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Series 80 is more difficult to get the best trigger pull on, tends to be a bit mushy at best, compared to a nice crisp trigger 1911s are known for, which to me is the whole reason to get a 1911. I doubt that my Series 80 Colt will ever equal the trigger on my Springfield Armory, which is essentially a Series 70.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Heh!

Just to help things along ...

Nice!

I have a Sig RCS Compact, commander length slide on officer model frame, basically. It was intended as a carry weapon and all the edges are rounded or at least broken. I've handled a Tacops and I get what you're saying. None of mine have a rail, they definitely introduce some rough edges and a different feel.

I was the first person to ever ask for a Sig 1911 when I ordered the RCS at my local store. EVERYBODY in the store had handled it by the time I picked it up. The owner liked it enough to start stocking a few Sigs along with his usual Kimber selection.

If I were looking at a Sig 1911, I'd probably go for the Emperor Scorpion or the STX.

Just to muddy the waters. The Dan Wesson that I did meld with and did not sell.

proxy.php

As mentioned previously, a .357 Mag will probably be my next pistol. This thread's about .45 ACP.

Any quality 1911 will probably do. My first was a Springfield Armory that started as a plain jane govt. model, except it was blued steel, not parkerized. It has been modified incrementally over the years till it looks like one with all the bells and whistles (of 20 years ago), and is quite accurate. My second is a Colt series 80, that has had less done to it. I bought the Colt just so I could say I had a Colt, but I wish it had been a series 70. The Colt is obviously a quality weapon, but of the two, I prefer the Springfield (largely because of the modifications I've done or had done). My suggestion is to buy a 1911 which doesn't need anything done to it in order to suite you. Things like a good trigger, does it have a beavertail safety, adjustable sights if you want them, extended controls if you want them, extended magazine release button if you need it, checkering, etc. The aftermarket parts for the 1911 are as varied as those for the AR 15 or an Rem 870 shotgun. A lot of reliability complaints for 1911s stem from people swapping parts to modify their guns to suit them. Even the "drop-in" parts may need some fitting. Handle several in the store, shoot some if you can and determine which modifications are important to you and then buy whatever quality gun already has the mods you want. Even if you pay more up front, you will save in the long run over having aftermarket modification done later, with a whole lot of frustration and aggravation avoided.

Great post, John. Very insightful. The only changes that I might consider is new/different grips.

"Nice post. Does this go for newer Colt 1911's or just the older ones? I found a Colt 1991 gov't series for just under $900 bones. I definitely hear more people make a fuss over a series 80?"

OOOooo... can't say "fer definite certain."

Was a long dry spell for me between the Gold Cup purchased new in 1981 and the 2014 purchase of a new Government Model. I know that I was prejudiced against the Series 80's firing pin block and had long written it off after handling a few in the 1980s. At that time the Series 80 triggers were comparatively creepy to the nice triggers of the Series 70 or earlier Colt variants. Also, I was most reluctant to try something newfangled that could add an additional layer of potential malfunction.

I now realize that I was confusing the Swartz firing pin safety of the late 1930s with the Series 80 firing pin block design and they are totally different. Supposedly the Swartz arrangement could result in guns that didn't fire when the hammer dropped. The Swartz safety was actuated by the grip safety while the Series 80 firing pin block is actuated by the trigger. Apparently the Series 80 hammer block is more positive in function as it doesn't have the sort of reputation that befell the Swartz design, which was discarded even before the dictates of World War II military contract requirements.

I was coached to "mend the error of my ways" with regards to Series 80 prejudice by an astute yet unsung guru of 1911-dom who remains a personal friend from out in Forum-land. Though we speak over the phone we've yet to meet. He suggested that the Colt Series 80 triggers were much improved since the early 1980s when the design variant was introduced. He was right as well. I'm cozy in my old fogy-ism, but took a chance to order out a new Colt Government Model in late 2013, receiving it in June of 2014. It was part of a "special commemorative deal" offered to my son who was then serving in Afghanistan in the 3rd Battalion 7th Marine Regiment. The "commemorative" part of the deal amounted to a special serial number block and an extra pair of commemorative stock panels. Price was attractive. Our son Skyped me one evening describing the deal and asking if it was a good one. I said "yes" and inquired if he could order an additional one for ol' Dad while he was at it.

Here it is with the commemorative stocks installed.

Here it is with the additional stocks provided, side-by-side with our son's during one of our father-and-son ".45 fests." We like ".45 fest-ing."

Informal inaugural firing of the pistols together. Our son mustered out in fall of 2014, but we didn't get to shoot the new pistols for the first time until a few days after Christmas that year, standing in an old dried up stock tank on my parents' place and shooting at targets on a dirt bank.

The 2014 Government Model hasn't as good a trigger as this 1967 Government Model that I tote most often these days, but it ain't bad and has improved markedly with shooting use. The 10mm Delta Elite which features the same trigger design is also improving with every range trip out. I love a good trigger and find the Series 80 to be at least live-able.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice post @noelekal, very educational. That is a beautiful Springfield you have for sure. I think coming from years shooting Glocks, a crappy 1911 trigger to you, would probably feel awesome to me? :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dunno. I never shoot my Franken-1911 ... poly framed .45s just are easier to carry and control. In fact, my cousin's beauty two-tone Commander is plain mean.

Heresy in The Church of the 1911, I know.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What Springfield?

Shhh, he's a Block guy. Doesn't know any better...yet.

My series 80 still has the original firing pin safety in it. I may look in to getting an aftermarket one since I saw your post about the Swartz one compared to the old series 80 stock one and the newer factory ones.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Once again, thanks for the suggestions, Gents. I almost bought a Colt Series 70 MK IV from my local shop today. I also almost bought an H&K HK45. That thing felt better in my hand than my VP9. If I get another pistol in .45 ACP, I have a feeling it'll be the HK45.

Anyway, there's about a 95% chance that I'll order a 1911 tomorrow. :001_smile

OkieStubble

Once again, thanks for the suggestions, Gents. I almost bought a Colt Series 70 MK IV from my local shop today. I also almost bought an H&K HK45. That thing felt better in my hand than my VP9. If I get another pistol in .45 ACP, I have a feeling it'll be the HK45.

Lol'd. I tried to tell ya. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Meh, the 1911 is so last week. :lol:

I'm seriously looking at getting a loosey goosey Gubmint model Colt. HK is quality though.

OkieStubble

I'm seriously looking at getting a loosey goosey Gubmint model Colt. HK is quality though.

I might have to go pick one up instead of waiting on the retirement gift. It's killing me, everyone has a 1911 but me. :)

I've been admiring the HK45 myself, the grip and texture of the full sized one feels wonderful.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I would love to get a Colt because of the history, but I see a lot of guys complain about their QC now. Dan Wesson seems to have a great reputation.

My first and only 1911 is a Springfield and I really like it. The back of the slide stop needed to be recut but their CS was great. Whenever I called it felt more like dealing with a small business that wanted to take care of me.
When I worked at an FFL I called Kimber and couple times and it was hard getting help.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I might have to go pick one up instead of waiting on the retirement gift. It's killing me, everyone has a 1911 but me. :)
Yes, you should get a 1911 before you retire. I mean, you could get hit by a bus a year from now, and you don't want to stand before your maker and have to admit that you didn't own a 1911!!!:angel:

OkieStubble

Yes, you should get a 1911 before you retire. I mean, you could get hit by a bus a year from now, and you don't want to stand before your maker and have to admit that you didn't own a 1911!!!:angel:

Agreed. It's like being in the late 50's and still the only one without a color television set. Embarrassing! :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
View attachment 987901 View attachment 987902 View attachment 987903
BBQ rigs? Got to have a few...depending on the menu

I'm toying with the idea of getting some leather for the 1911 I ordered. My big dilemma is that I intend on this to be strictly a range gun. There's slight chance that it might be a competition pistol (if I ever decide to do competitive shooting), but that would be the only place that I can imagine carrying it. I have my HKs and P365 to use as defense pistols, and when out in public, I'd prefer not to advertise that I'm carrying anyway.

Lol'd. I tried to tell ya. :)

I still might end up getting one eventually. If I wasn't so drawn into the cool/fun factor of a 1911, then I would have an HK45 over a 1911 in a heartbeat. Plus, I don't intend on running through .45 ACP like I do with 9mm. I want a deeper connection to the pistol rather than seeing it as a tool and throwing tons of lead downrange.

Maybe I should just hold off until they make a 2021, where the gun aims for you.

I've been working some long hours for the past few weeks, so the OT and not being tempted to mindlessly go shopping after work helped me save up some extra pennies. Also, I saw a great deal on some Speer Gold Dot 230gr .45 ACP about a month ago and decided to strike while the iron was hot. On top of that, I set some money away thinking that I was going to need to put it into my vehicle. It turns out that the issue was a quick and simple fix. So, I thought what the hell and decided to put my money toward a 1911.

I've been admiring the HK45 myself, the grip and texture of the full sized one feels wonderful.

I agree. One of the things that kept me from really contemplating whether to get the HK45 opposed to a 1911 is that the HK45 felt too much like my VP9. If I were purchasing a .45 for defense or combat, then I'd choose the HK45 all day long. I just want something that gives me a different shooting experience than my HKs.

I would love to get a Colt because of the history, but I see a lot of guys complain about their QC now. Dan Wesson seems to have a great reputation.

My first and only 1911 is a Springfield and I really like it. The back of the slide stop needed to be recut but their CS was great. Whenever I called it felt more like dealing with a small business that wanted to take care of me.
When I worked at an FFL I called Kimber and couple times and it was hard getting help.

That's good information to keep in mind. Did the slide stop need to be recut because of wear, or was it just a bad cut in the first place?

Top Bottom