What's new

Super Speed fan: Which Parat, Rocket, Aristocrat Jr to get next?

Hello everyone! I'm not well-versed with razors nor explored a lot of them, I tend to find one I like and stick with it.

My dad was a Super Speed user and I have his Super Speed with the black plastic handle and flare tip (plus another of the same for backup). I also have a '47 Super Speed with the wings and notchless center bar that I'm currently using—which I discovered when I came on here to research the Super Speed!

I recently decided I better get a backup for the '47 but that lead me down the rabbit hole everyone here is familiar with!

I've been doing tons of research the past few days and the three razors in the subject are similar to each other but within each model, there are variations of them.

I became aware of the Rocket as a "better" British-made Super Speed which led me to the HD and HD 500. I'd messaged a forumer on here who gave me some good comparison and insight into the Rocket HD 500 vs Super Speed, and he also suggested I check out an early gold Aristocrat. Around these parts, Aristocrat Jr seems to be the more commonly mentioned or recommended version. Then while searching the Rocket, I came across the Parat, and then, I stumbled across a Parat HD which I don't think exist?

I was wondering if the forum has recommendations within each model to help focus my search.

Get the "Rocket HD" smooth. I have all of the above except the last (which I think doesn't exist). All are good. Made in England Gillette razors are somewhat better finished. Or get a rhodium aristo made in England....big league item.

Yeah, a good English aristocrat is the highest finish vintage razor money cam buy. It oozes quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Rocket, an early aristocrat jr. (Flat baseplate), and a Aristocrat #58. It is hard to tell you what to get because ymmv, and so far I have enjoyed each one. If your a fan of the superspeed I recommend the Rocket, and Aristocrat Jr.

I simply love all Rockets, built like tanks, awesome TTO mechanism and very very nice shavers. My personal preferences after owning them all is the original 1949 Rocket and the Flare Tip. But the HD is very nice too.

If you find your Super-Speeds just spot on in aggressiveness I would suggest finding a great condition Flare Tip as they are the easiest accessible and cheapest. But if you sometimes find yourself wondering if you should try something even more efficient then get an HD.

Again, you cannot go wrong with any of then as long as you get a great condition one.

Enjoy the ride but also herewith be informed that soon after trying your first Rocket you will start dreaming about that Aristocrat :LMS:laugh:

Yeah, a good English aristocrat is the highest finish vintage razor money cam buy. It oozes quality.

A solid truth right there!! And not to mention the finest looks of all, too :001_tt1:

Still, Rockets are the perfect place to start the journey!

FD562CA3-A5FF-496E-AF90-718877C2FE8D.jpeg

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

While looking for a Rocket HD, I came across this Parat Rocket HD.

I'm quite perplexed, I looked up mr-razor and I don't think there's a Parat HD?

The description is completely wrong, just forget it.
As for models, Parat, 3rd gen Aristocrat Jr. (called Rocket), HD type razors, 4th gen Aristocrat, razor in the No 58, standard Flare tips, all share the same head, the only difference is the handle.

Adam

There are various Rocket - "500 razors. From what I recall when I went down that rabbit hole, the most common is the "HD" but there is also a lighter version with an aluminum handle I guess it would be a Rocket 500"MD" I have both and they are both really great, if you like a lighter razor, the "MD" is a fine choice and there is also a very light weight version, I believe going by the nickname "Paperclip" that's rather rare.

The Aristocrat Jr. is one of my favourites of the Rocket line.

The British Rockets are all really great razors.

There are various Rocket - "500 razors. From what I recall when I went down that rabbit hole, the most common is the "HD" but there is also a lighter version with an aluminum handle I guess it would be a Rocket 500"MD" I have both and they are both really great, if you like a lighter razor, the "MD" is a fine choice and there is also a very light weight version, I believe going by the nickname "Paperclip" that's rather rare.

The Aristocrat Jr. is one of my favourites of the Rocket line.

The British Rockets are all really great razors.

Oh yes, forgot the aluminum one. I had the Paperclip also but that was actually the only one I did not like to shave with - way too light for this fella, as I recall is weighs in at a mere 39 grams!

To start on your journey of British Gillette razors, you're on the right path. Of the 3 you mention, I haven't tried a Parat, but have owned a Rocket HD & Aristocrat Jr. Both are very nice razors, slightly different in the feel & shave, but totally a personal preference of which is better. I suggest trying to get both & trying them for yourself. I sold my Rocket HD & still have the Aristocrat Jr. You should be able to get either for a decent price, they aren't expensive vintage razors. Just be patient & keep checking the BST here on B & B. Good luck, enjoy your journey!

R

romsitsa

It’s the same set. II indicates standard head, it appeared with the flare tip trio.
In chronological order the British diamond stamped heads:
Patent pending
Patent number
Patent number and II
Patent number, sometimes A or S or a date code

Posting live auctions is against forum rules, as far as I know.

Adam

It’s the same set. II indicates standard head, it appeared with the flare tip trio.
In chronological order the British diamond stamped heads:
Patent pending
Patent number
Patent number and II
Patent number, sometimes A or S or a date code

Posting live auctions is against forum rules, as far as I know.

Adam

Thank you very much for your insight, these razors are difficult to identify, I don't know how everyone does it!

I've reported my post and I see it's removed now.

R

romsitsa

It’s team work, someone usually will have an answer or a clue :) B&B threads contain vast information, so most likely what you look for is somewhere here, but locating it is sometimes challenging.

Adam

Top Bottom