What's new

Super Speed fan: Which Parat, Rocket, Aristocrat Jr to get next?

Thank you very much for your insight, these razors are difficult to identify, I don't know how everyone does it!

I've reported my post and I see it's removed now.
There is also the lesser known Canadian Rocket to consider as well. If you are interested in seeing one I can dig it out and post a picture or two.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you can help me ID this:
It's described as "an early gold plated British Gillette Aristocrat junior (Rocket in Canada).
Markings: Gillette and Made in England on the bottom of the base plate, Patent Pending inside the base plate."

I'm guessing it's a Rocket? I had a look on mr-razor and while I see some Aristocrat Jrs have patent pending, none of them are gold plated, unless this specimen was plated later.

According to the thread on Shave Den, telling signs are: "Does it have a flat baseplate? Does it have a crimped band above the TTO knob?"

Unfortunately I can't tell from the pictures if the baseplate is flat, maybe someone with a keener eye?

R

romsitsa

These were sold as Aristocrat jr. in England and Rocket in Canada.
Someone started calling almost all British razors rockets, while maybe two sets were called that way.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Thank you!

Anytime, just to further confuse you (or clear things up a bit):

The A. junior above is a stamped base plate, patent pending (3rd gen).

Adam

Hello everyone. I thought I'd share these pictures of my pick-up, this should be a Rocket HD 500.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lovely build, love the heft as everyone mentioned. I had my first shave with it. The shave feel is smooth but feels milder than my 1947 Aristocrat Jr. With the Aristocrat Jr., I can still feel the blade while the HD500 glides. I find myself having to look closer at the mirror to check if a spot's been shaved clean. (Head shaver, tend to miss spots due to the head curvature against the straight edge of the blade.) I'll need a few more shaves to figure out the right angle etc for the HD500 I think.

I think I might to look for a British Aristocrat to try next—any recommendation to look for? I've read the #66 shaves like a Rocket HD/#58 so I'll probably avoid that.

My modest collection:

proxy.php

I JUST realized the third razor—my oldest and my daily—isn't a Super Speed but a 1947 Aristocrat Jr. So that's what I was comparing the HD 500 with.

Rocket HD is great, one of my favs. If you like light as a feather watch for a Rocket Gold in aluminum, only 26 grams.

Hello everyone. I thought I'd share these pictures of my pick-up, this should be a Rocket HD 500.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lovely build, love the heft as everyone mentioned. I had my first shave with it. The shave feel is smooth but feels milder than my 1947 Aristocrat Jr. With the Aristocrat Jr., I can still feel the blade while the HD500 glides. I find myself having to look closer at the mirror to check if a spot's been shaved clean. (Head shaver, tend to miss spots due to the head curvature against the straight edge of the blade.) I'll need a few more shaves to figure out the right angle etc for the HD500 I think.

I think I might to look for a British Aristocrat to try next—any recommendation to look for? I've read the #66 shaves like a Rocket HD/#58 so I'll probably avoid that.

My modest collection:

proxy.php

I JUST realized the third razor—my oldest and my daily—isn't a Super Speed but a 1947 Aristocrat Jr. So that's what I was comparing the HD 500 with.

The model name of Rocket HD500 comes from the sell price in France - 500 French francs.
Here is an ad from 1956:
page-de-publicité-RASOIR-GILLETTE-en-1956.jpg

Ah, good to know, I was always confused when some refer to them as the Rocket HD and some the Rocket HD500. I thought maybe their cases were the differentiators.

Hello everyone! I'm not well-versed with razors nor explored a lot of them, I tend to find one I like and stick with it.

My dad was a Super Speed user and I have his Super Speed with the black plastic handle and flare tip (plus another of the same for backup). I also have a '47 Super Speed with the wings and notchless center bar that I'm currently using—which I discovered when I came on here to research the Super Speed!

I recently decided I better get a backup for the '47 but that lead me down the rabbit hole everyone here is familiar with!

I've been doing tons of research the past few days and the three razors in the subject are similar to each other but within each model, there are variations of them.

I became aware of the Rocket as a "better" British-made Super Speed which led me to the HD and HD 500. I'd messaged a forumer on here who gave me some good comparison and insight into the Rocket HD 500 vs Super Speed, and he also suggested I check out an early gold Aristocrat. Around these parts, Aristocrat Jr seems to be the more commonly mentioned or recommended version. Then while searching the Rocket, I came across the Parat, and then, I stumbled across a Parat HD which I don't think exist?

I was wondering if the forum has recommendations within each model to help focus my search.
I am unaware of any plastic handled SuperSpeeds. The black handle with the flare tip has an aluminum handle. The only plastic black handle Gillette I am aware of is a Knack.

I am unaware of any plastic handled SuperSpeeds. The black handle with the flare tip has an aluminum handle. The only plastic black handle Gillette I am aware of is a Knack.
WW2 Tech if we are only counting ones with metal heads. There are various other full plastic Gillettes.

Just shaved tonight with a Monobloc that I got as a sidenote with a case I wanted. Blown away yet again by the quality of the shave, truly amazing!!

Thank you for sharing that! I'm quite enjoying my Rocket, the heavier handle took a bit of getting used to. I think the Super Speeds are heavier at the head, I usually let the weight do the work.

Had my fourth shave (same blade, Israeli Personas / Crystal) with it today; I think I'm getting the shave angle, at least I feel the blade better. It's pretty forgiving, more than the Super Speeds I think, I haven't been nicked at all while experimenting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom