What's new

Sun Screen!

I agree with using a product that has zinc and titanium to block sunlight. I'm an environmental geologist, deal with hundreds of organic chemicals at contaminated sites, and spend a fair amount of time outside in the sun for my work. That said, I'm obsessed about my chemical exposure in the home and my personal life, not just my exposure at work. It's important to know what chemicals are in sun block you're using. It's no good to get great UV protection from sunscreen that's packed with chemicals that can lead to skin cancer in their own right. It's also important to note which products use micro vs. nano size particles (zinc and titanium). Micro is fine but there are concerns about nano-sized particles, which can get into every system in your body. They cross the blood brain barrier and no one knows yet what the long term effects are for exposure to such tiny particles. Micro-sized particles stay on your skin and do their job of blocking UV.

Terra Sport is the best sun protection I have found. You can get it here (also sell some shaving products like Kiss My Face). No nano-particles and safe chemicals only. I'm not talking about products that will give you daily protection walking from your car into the office. I use this stuff for 12+ hours of sun exposure, typically applying it 2 times a day.

I also wear a wide-brimmed hat when I know I'll be outside for extended periods of time as an extra layer of protection beyond sunscreen. This is the best sun hat I've found. Wide brim, mesh around the top for ventilation, chin strap, and although not pictured, it has an elastic cord around the brow so you can customize the fit so it's snug around your head.

Wear a hat.

-Andy

Last edited:
Oxybenzone is not the same as avobenzone.

3% avobenzone is pretty typical, and should suffice.

The best sunscreens on the planet contain mexoryl, which is a UVA blocking agent that is photostable. Anthelios is one of the brands. Ombrelle also makes a nice sunscreen that contains mexoryl.

I agree with the wide-brimmed hat idea. I love my Tilley hat. They have a lifetime guarantee, are washable, etc., etc. Google Tilley hats if you want to see what is available.

Is any of the stuff with Mexoryl sweatproof/waterproof? Looks like most of the sunscreen containing it is lower SPF and for daily use.

Anyone know about Blue Lizard sunscreen?

(Of course, while we're all worried about skin cancer and age spots, there's a new story every other week about how good vitamin D is for you. I guess the answer is to slather on the sunscreen and take a vitamin D supplement.)

Is any of the stuff with Mexoryl sweatproof/waterproof? Looks like most of the sunscreen containing it is lower SPF and for daily use.

i believe most of the anthelios products are sweat and water resistant. regardless, i think you should apply a little more anyway (especially if its not a sunblock) if you sweat a lot or go swimming. This link will tell you more about the anthelios products that contain mexoryl.

you can also get anthelios at CVS if youre in the eastern US

Ah, just to throw in something, don't forget to have sun glasses or transitions to protect your eyes.

Also, I've heard even if its cloudy out, make sure you you have protection or don't stay in the sun for too long. Seeing how cloudy and overcast days boast record high UV ray numbers.

Oxybenzone is not the same as avobenzone.

3% avobenzone is pretty typical, and should suffice.

The best sunscreens on the planet contain mexoryl, which is a UVA blocking agent that is photostable. Anthelios is one of the brands. Ombrelle also makes a nice sunscreen that contains mexoryl.

I agree with the wide-brimmed hat idea. I love my Tilley hat. They have a lifetime guarantee, are washable, etc., etc. Google Tilley hats if you want to see what is available.[/QUOTE]

+1 Tilleys are excellent hats. A little pricey, but well worth it, IMO. The Bay has a Tilley-direct store and they have the best prices I've seen for any Tilley hats. I'm not sure if they have all the different styles, however.

I see that there are a bunch of garments that are UPF rated (like the Tilley Hats). Does this mean that the regular non-UPF-rated tightly-woven cotton bucket hats that I've been putting on my kids to shade them from the sun are no good? I mean, the thick cotton and wide brims are certainly shielding them. They don't get burned, but is there still a lot of harmful UV that gets through that fabric?

i believe most of the anthelios products are sweat and water resistant. regardless, i think you should apply a little more anyway (especially if its not a sunblock) if you sweat a lot or go swimming. This link will tell you more about the anthelios products that contain mexoryl.

you can also get anthelios at CVS if youre in the eastern US

It appears to me that the Anthelios products that claim to be sweat/waterproof do NOT contain mexoryl. Am I wrong? Not all of their products contain mexoryl.

I have fair skin and am looking for something to use when cycling. I want the most/best protection I can possibly get for my face that will stand up to sweating and not run into my eyes. What would you guys recommend?

It appears to me that the Anthelios products that claim to be sweat/waterproof do NOT contain mexoryl. Am I wrong? Not all of their products contain mexoryl.

I have fair skin and am looking for something to use when cycling. I want the most/best protection I can possibly get for my face that will stand up to sweating and not run into my eyes. What would you guys recommend?

I have a 60 SPF Anthelios sunscreen that contains both types of mexoryl, avobenzone, and also has titanium and zinc, in addition to B-blockers.

I put it on before I go golfing. I'm out there for a minimum of 4.5 hours, maximum of abou 6 hours and I've never even gotten the tiniest bit of sunburn, and I don't reapply. It has never run into my eyes.

It goes on really thick; makes your face almost look pink for awhile. People can really tell you are wearing some serious sunscreen. If you are serious about protecting yourself while cycling, this is the stuff.

...I see that there are a bunch of garments that are UPF rated (like the Tilley Hats). Does this mean that the regular non-UPF-rated tightly-woven cotton bucket hats that I've been putting on my kids to shade them from the sun are no good? I mean, the thick cotton and wide brims are certainly shielding them. They don't get burned, but is there still a lot of harmful UV that gets through that fabric?[/QUOTE]

Thick cotton brims block most of the rays. In some cases, manufacturers just don't bother to get the hats UVA rated.

Jack Black has an excellent facial moisturizer with a SPF of 15. Better than doing nothing. Take care of your skin now and you will see the great results much later.

...I see that there are a bunch of garments that are UPF rated (like the Tilley Hats). Does this mean that the regular non-UPF-rated tightly-woven cotton bucket hats that I've been putting on my kids to shade them from the sun are no good? I mean, the thick cotton and wide brims are certainly shielding them. They don't get burned, but is there still a lot of harmful UV that gets through that fabric?

Thick cotton brims block most of the rays. In some cases, manufacturers just don't bother to get the hats UVA rated.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the excellent info, Kingfisher.:thumbup1:

Thanks, kingfisher. Could you please link me to that particular product?

I keep looking at their website and there appear to be 3 sunscreens with an SPF of 60. They all claim to have CELL-OX SHIELD™, but don't say they have mexoryl. Is CELL-OX SHIELD™ a type of mexoryl?

http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...-60-ultra-light-sunscreen-fluid-for-face.htm?
http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...ios-60-melt-in-sunscreen-lotion-for-face.htm?
http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...melt-in-sunscreen-milk-for-face-and-body.htm?

The highest SPF I see containing Mexoryl is 40:

http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...atalog/ByType/Dry/anthelios-40-sunscreen.htm?

I'm missing something here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
ColorScience puts out a powdered sunscreen called Sunforgettable. It is an SPF 30 sunscreen containing Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Dioxide. Since it is a powder, it is completely non-greasy, virtually invisible, and is also fragrance free. It is brushed on from a self-dispensing brush. The down sides are that it is expensive (although a little goes a long way), and it can be tough to see where you applied it. It also cannot be found at your local drugstore, as it is typically carried only at spas or by dermatologists or the like, although one does not need a prescription to obtain it. The store locator option on the company site can help you find a seller near you. This is a great option for those who don't like greasy, lotion based sunscreens.

Thanks, kingfisher. Could you please link me to that particular product?

I keep looking at their website and there appear to be 3 sunscreens with an SPF of 60. They all claim to have CELL-OX SHIELD™, but don't say they have mexoryl. Is CELL-OX SHIELD™ a type of mexoryl?

http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...-60-ultra-light-sunscreen-fluid-for-face.htm?
http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...ios-60-melt-in-sunscreen-lotion-for-face.htm?
http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...melt-in-sunscreen-milk-for-face-and-body.htm?

The highest SPF I see containing Mexoryl is 40:

http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en...atalog/ByType/Dry/anthelios-40-sunscreen.htm?

I'm missing something here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
None of those three you linked is the stuff I have. I have the tube in front of me now. It's called "Antihelios XL."

Active ingredients: octocrylene 10%, titanium dioxide 4.15%, avobenzone 3.5%, mexoryl xl 3%, mexoryl sx 3%.

I bought it from amazon.com. Maybe you could search Anthelios XL and find it.

None of those three you linked is the stuff I have. I have the tube in front of me now. It's called "Antihelios XL."

Active ingredients: octocrylene 10%, titanium dioxide 4.15%, avobenzone 3.5%, mexoryl xl 3%, mexoryl sx 3%.

I bought it from amazon.com. Maybe you could search Anthelios XL and find it.

Great! Thanks. Very odd that they don't have it on their own website, but I see it at Amazon.

Solar Rx with nano zinc oxide. Everyday sunscreen but not waterproof and not sweatproof. Looks white when first applied but dries almost completely clear. Also available from Amazon.com.

http://www.keys-soap.com/xcart41/product.php?productid=31&cat=18&page=1

California Baby with titanium dioxide. Waterproof. Slightly white after application. Also available from Amazon.com

http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html

Soleo Organics with zinc oxide. Slightly white after application. May be more waterproof than California Baby but it's greasier, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Soleo-Organic...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1243520434&sr=8-1

MinnMD

Top Bottom