What's new

Summer imbibing(yes Ron, I need your input)

One thing on the distillation: There is a new type of still called a column still that is sometimes used that effectively does multiple distillations in the same process (as I understand it). I think SOME American whiskey might be made in one of these, and it may be the source of the idea that bourbon is distilled once (maybe it is - in a column still)...but honestly I don't know. I think most distillers that are not making GNS, use old-style single process stills like are still used in Scotland.

Without looking into it, I'm not sure however.

Just wanted to toss out that wrinkle.

Andre

NMMB said:
I've never tried Mojitos, but they just made my short list. I am a big fan of lime, mint and rum.

So, I lost my Mojito-virginity last night... Damn! Those are good. I think that I can safely say that the noble Mojito has become an instant favourite of mine. SWMBO enjoyed her Mojito too...

My absolute favourite summer drink is ice cold San Pellegrino with a big chunk of lemon. I'm not much of a drinker anymore (although I still do) and I find this brand of water THE most refreshing drink out there.

Andre said:
One thing on the distillation: There is a new type of still called a column still that is sometimes used that effectively does multiple distillations in the same process (as I understand it). I think SOME American whiskey might be made in one of these, and it may be the source of the idea that bourbon is distilled once (maybe it is - in a column still)...but honestly I don't know. I think most distillers that are not making GNS, use old-style single process stills like are still used in Scotland.

Without looking into it, I'm not sure however.

Just wanted to toss out that wrinkle.

Andre

The Coffey still is new in comparison to the age when monks first brought back the process for creating the "water of life," but I'd hardly call the 1800s "new". Also, column still distillations are typically considered inferior to the product that comes from pot stills. Column stills are used for grains like corn and wheat. Malted barley is typically only pot distilled. Many of your blended Scotches employ both column stills and pot stills. Likewise, many bourbons employ a method that combines corn and grains distilled from a Coffey still and pot still, which is why I'd assume many bourbon distillers can get away with one distillation since (as you allude to Grain Neutral Spirits) the product from the Coffey still is about 90% ABV. A lot of your vodkas and Irish Whiskies (Coffey was a Dubliner afterall) are distilled in this manner as well since it's much more efficient, and much cheaper than pot stills (albeit there's a lot less character to the alcohol). We're on the same page here, but it sounds like maybe you're under the impression that whiskies of all types are primarily just pot distilled?

By the by, if you ever get a chance to taste whiskey straight from the pot before it goes to the barrels for maturation, or 'White Dog' or 'White Lightening' for example (bourbons straight from the still), I recommend it, (but not too much :eek: ). It definitely can seem like there's 'taste' there.

And let's not knock the GNS, they have their place too!

full

From left to right: William Larue Weller (barrel proof), Jack Daniel's Tribute to Tennessee, Jefferson's Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle 20 year, Talisker, Middleton Very Rare:
full

Those are some of my favorites (save for the JD, that's a 20 year old bottle and actually taste pretty darn iffy). They're all American Whiskies save for the Talisker (Scotch), and Middleton (Irish).

On the topic of Bourbons, some (but not all) of your finer bourbons to try neat or on the rocks if you see it in a bar or at your local liquor store: Woodford Reserve, Blanton's, Booker's, Basil Hayden's (if memory serves, he's the man on the bottle of Old Grandad), and for your Manhattan (up), Knob Creek does a darned good job.

-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use Everclear all the time for cleaning pipes. I dip a pipe cleaner into it and it takes all the gunk out of my pipe stems. Then I fill the bowl with salt and saturate it with Everclear- it sucks all the gunk out of the bowl.

As for drinking it................:w00t:

Nick,

I bow to your knowledge of different stills. Like I said, I don't have the info in my head, and I don't feel like looking it up. What you've said is in line with what I remember, so there's no need for me to bother worrying about details.

I agree with your recommendations. For American stuff, I'm a WT and Van Winkle man myself, but I agree that Bookers, Knob Creek, and Blanton's are damn fine. I would also add Sazerac rye, and maybe Elijah Craig. For Scotch, my "always on hand" group is generally Aberlour, Ardbeg, Laphoaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Highland Park, Cragganmore, and Talisker.

Andre

Andre,

Excellent, I didn't even think of Sazerac or Elijah. That reminds me, another couple are Eagle Rare (Joel turned me on to them), a superb bourbon for how inexpensive it is, and Bulleit bourbon which is a darned tasty sippin' bourbon. Both of which are very attractively bottled. Lastly, if you're a rye fan, look into Templeton Rye. Supposedly it's available in limited production on the eastern side of the country. They unveiled their whisky at an expo a couple years ago, but unfortunately they've been taking their time in getting it distributed. It is absolutely great stuff.

As for Scotches, I have to admit my knowledge is limited at best.

-Nick

I think that there is still some confusion here about the distillation process for different kinds of whiskey.

All straight bourbon or straight rye is double-distilled (except Woodford Reserve which, Michael Jackson says, is triple-distilled). Most bourbon undergoes a first distillation in a column still (there are bourbons that are completely pot-distilled). It then undergoes a second distillation in either a "doubler" or a "thumper." The two are slightly different but somewhat similar to a pot still. Further, there is nothing inherently inferior about the column still if used carefully. It produces a lighter whiskey but not necessarily a bad one. Also, it does not have to produce a high alcoholic content (say 90% abv), since bourbon cannot be distilled to higher than 80% abv and is typically distilled to less than that. The lighter character of Irish whiskey is due in some part to unmalted grain whiskey from a column still. However, there are all pot still Irish whiskeys and they are still relatively light compared with bourbon and many single-malts. This is in significant part a result of the triple-distillation process used in Irish whiskey.

There seems to be some confusion also about blended scotch and the notion of grain neutral spirits (GNS). The grain whisky used in blended scotch is not GNS. It is distilled out at a proof that, while quite high, is lower than that needed for GNS (95% abv). Furthermore, unlike GNS, which should have no distinctive taste characteristics, grain whisky has a characteristic whisky taste and is aged in wood just like the malt whisky in the blend (in a 12 year old blended scotch, all the whisky, grain or malt, is at least 12 years old). Jim Murray, in his book Classic Blended Scotch, has a chapter on the output of the grain distilleries and he notes that they all produce grain whisky of distinctly different character (there are even a few all-grain scotch whiskeys produced). Blended scotch whisky can be excellent if done well. Michael Jackson writes that "the notion that taking a selection of malts and mixing them with a selection of grain wihiskeys produces a drink that is somehow inferior is an erroneous one. A top blend is every bit as complex and rewarding as a single malt." (Whisky, DK Publishing, 2005, page 178).

GNS do appear in American blended whiskey. Their labels will indicate the extent of GNS used. GNS are of course not permitted in straight bourbon or rye.

Ken

ouch said:
For sheer mystique, nothing beats vintage port, but talk about a wine that is most decidedly not summer friendly. To me, it's the only good thing about winter.

Even though they've gone up quite a bit in the last few years, they're still pretty reasonable compared to first growths. The late bottled vintage ports, which can go for around $15, may be the best value in all of wine.

Now if I could only get a shaving cream that smells like '70 Taylor.:tongue_sm

I love me some port with a nice cigar on a cool or warm (NOT hot) summer night.

Top Bottom