What's new

Summer imbibing(yes Ron, I need your input)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
Shaker with six fresh (clear!) ice cubes
1 oz Bombay Sapphire
1 oz Stolychnia
1/8 oz Noilly Proat Dry vermouth
six sharp shakes
Pour/strain into chilled Martini Stem
1 Green Olive stuffed with Pimento
1 Black Pitted Olive
Relax....

Great recipe, Ron. Noilly Pratt is a great, inexpensive, dry vermouth for martinis. I was taught to swirl the vermouth in the glass, then pour it out.

Imagine my surprise to learn that Ron takes his martini "shaken, not stirred.":lol:

ouch said:
Great recipe, Ron. Noilly Pratt is a great, inexpensive, dry vermouth for martinis. I was taught to swirl the vermouth in the glass, then pour it out.

Imagine my surprise to learn that Ron takes his martini "shaken, not stirred.":lol:
You got it Ouch, accept the swirl and shake should be done in the shaker , perfect Martini every time. ( I was a Bartender for many years )
Cheers, DJ.

ouch said:

Thats considered a Dry Martini...just how I like mine...I have never had a Gin/Vodka mix...looks like tonight will be a Saphire Goose Martini...

I dislike olives in martinis for some reason-- I prefer a little lime zest.

A recommendation, if I may, for Gin is Gordons brand. Its cheaper, but has abit stronger gin flavour (a friend says gin, to him, tastes like drinking perfume-- I avoid him).

I'll repeat this from my Hall of Fame entry...

How to make a Lime Rickey (mentioned in "The Simpson's" episode in which Rodney Dangerfield appears)

2oz Dry London Gin (keep bottle in freezer)
2oz Roses Lime Juice
pour over ice into a tall glass
fill glass to top with chilled Schweppes soda water
stir vigorously
garnish with a little lime peel if you wish

Great after a shave with Trumpers Lime. Not too sweet, a litttle tart, but light and thirst quenching.

-Scott

kd7kip said:
(a friend says gin, to him, tastes like drinking perfume-- I avoid him)Good for you

How to make a Lime Rickey

2oz Dry London Gin (keep bottle in freezer)
2oz Roses Lime Juice
pour over ice into a tall glass
fill glass to top with chilled Schweppes soda water
stir vigorously
garnish with a little lime peel if you wish

A Rickey! I knew there was another great gin drink I was overlooking. I believe that between this, Ron's martinis, the aforementioned Mojitos, and Tom Collins, I will have plenty of liquid comfort with which to assuage my heat induced stupor. In other words, I may just trade a heat stupor for a gin stupor! About that Roses lime juice. Is the primary difference between that and fresh squeezed lime juice just a sweetener? If so, could a person use fresh juice and mix in some superfine sugar?

Seriously guys, I could see gin becoming a real fave for me. I do not like the sickly sweet fufu pop drinks that seemed to pervade culture these last two decades. Hey, more power to those who like them, they're just not for me. I did see an article recenty that said the older, more classic cocktails were making a comeback and I'm all for that.

I also like cranberry juice for a mixer for that very reason. It's drier than the usual fruit juice mixer. I had some sort of concoction a few years ago that used cran juice and some sort of cranberry liquer and a clear mixer that was carbonated. It was not over dry but just at that near palate cleansing dry/fresh ratio that made it perfect. I sorely regret not asking the lady tending the bar for that formula. It's also what draws me to a Cosmopolitan. Keep 'em coming guys, this is great.

Regards, Todd

moses said:
I will NOT have iced tea sniffed at with some snobbish raised nose. It is a truely delightful and wonderfully cooling beverage, when made well. (As Todd says, none of that syrup crap). And it is meant to be SWEET.

As for mint juleps, you really can't go wrong, despite all the imagery, as long as it is made with a good bourbon. Actually Jack is fine for this, but Woodford Reserve makes any bourbon drink, or just straight up, sing. One of my all time favorite summer evening beverages is just Woodford Reserve with a couple of ice cubes. Right up there with good scotch neat in the cooler months.

Spoken like a gent from South of Mason/Dixon. I wholeheartedly agree with the reasoning but cannot tolerate the sugar in tea! I know, blasphemy! Still, I agree that iced tea is not some beastly peasant drink to be sneered at. If you've never had it made by someone who knows how to do it, you're missing out.

I will make a mint julep. I've always wanted to try one ever since I saw the old W.C. Fields movies and he was always ordering mint juleps. That started my fascination and the lore of the antebellum South drives it. Besides, it just sounds downright tasty. BTW, one of those cool looking reddish brown wooden muddlers is less than ten bucks so no worries there.

Regards, Todd

ouch

I've been accused of being a bit of a wine snob. I would disagree, even though I have a stash of Latour, Margaux, Mouton, Batard-Montrachet, Corton-Charlemagne, Chambertin, Petrus, Lafite, vintage port, Trockenbeerenauslese, Yquem, and plenty of others.

For summer fare, I still am occasionally called upon to whip up a batch of Sangria. I can hear the snickering already. But what the hey- it's refreshing, cheap, and fun, and can loosen up the stuffiest shirts. Besides, why waste the good stuff on the neighbors, none of whom would know any better.

Big *** pitcher
Lotsa ice
Bottle of red wine (I use a $4 bottle of Borgia- 88 pts by Parker!)
Bottle of seltzer (soda water for anyone west of the Hudson)
Goodly splash of brandy or cognac (the cooking/deglazing stuff- save the XO)
Goodly splash of Grand Marnier (as long as it's open, down a shot yerself)
Some sugar
Slices of apple, orange, and lemon
Repeat

Serve someone a huge, aged Bordeaux, and it only takes one sip for them to figure out that they had better approach it slowly. Sangria is more like Beaujolais Nouveau (tastes like sody pop), so folks will guzzle it. In no time flat, your most uptight guests will be spilling their guts (I love you man) and engaging in behavior befitting of an office party. Keep the camera at the ready.:eek:

Who says there ain't no cure for the summertime blues?

Hey, sounds like a refreshing drink to me and isn't that the whole point of this posting? Thanks for the formula. To be honest, it doesn't sound like the over sweet stuff I've had as "punches" before. I just may try this.

Regards, Todd

BTW, vintage port = YES!

Likewise, I have been accused of wine snobbery (although always on a limited budget - so my fun was finding the amazing buys for <$15 - you would be surprised). I bow before your cellar. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: DAMN!

Anyway, I agree that sangria is nothing to be sneezed at. Let's face it - there are few things better than a fine glass of something old and red, but the best way to enjoy it is not outdoors on a hot summer afternoon. Things like sangria, on the other hand, are just plain fun....

ouch said:
Besides, why waste the good stuff on the neighbors, none of whom would know any better.

I just can't figure out why you are considered by some to be a wine snob???:tongue:

ouch said:
For summer fare, I still am occasionally called upon to whip up a batch of Sangria. I can hear the snickering already. But what the hey- it's refreshing, cheap, and fun, and can loosen up the stuffiest shirts. Besides, why waste the good stuff on the neighbors, none of whom would know any better.

Big *** pitcher
Lotsa ice
Bottle of red wine (I use a $4 bottle of Borgia- 88 pts by Parker!)
Bottle of seltzer (soda water for anyone west of the Hudson)
Goodly splash of brandy or cognac (the cooking/deglazing stuff- save the XO)
Goodly splash of Grand Marnier (as long as it's open, down a shot yerself)
Some sugar
Slices of apple, orange, and lemon
Repeat

Sangria! OUTSTANDING-- I haven't had that in years! Boy will that get you ripped.

-Scott

Phog Allen said:
Hey, sounds like a refreshing drink to me and isn't that the whole point of this posting? Thanks for the formula. To be honest, it doesn't sound like the over sweet stuff I've had as "punches" before. I just may try this.

It shouldn't be very sweet at all - if so, it is icky rather than refreshing.

Oh, and yeah, nothing like a good port. Back in school, couple of years ago, over at a girl's apartment - she asks if I want something to drink. When I say yes, she reaches into the cabinet and pulls out a Fonseca Vintage 1985. Talk about pleasant surprises.....

Phog Allen said:
A Rickey! I knew there was another great gin drink I was overlooking. I believe that between this, Ron's martinis, the aforementioned Mojitos, and Tom Collins, I will have plenty of liquid comfort with which to assuage my heat induced stupor. In other words, I may just trade a heat stupor for a gin stupor! About that Roses lime juice. Is the primary difference between that and fresh squeezed lime juice just a sweetener? If so, could a person use fresh juice and mix in some superfine sugar?

Yes, you could use fresh lime juice. In fact, when my wife and I first looked up the recipe (after watching the afore mentioned Simpson's), the recipe called for fresh lime. I just substituted Rose's because it was easier, readily available, already sweetened and cheap. One nice thing about the drink is you don't have to be fully lucid to keep mixing them, if you know what I mean...:tongue_sm

-Scott

1985 Fonseca huh? Dang, I could have bought several bottles of this at a local store for less than thirty dollars a bottle in the late 80's. I just didn't know enough about it to be buying some "high dollar" wine I knew so little about. I don't know if it was mismarked or just not in demand at the time. The folly of youth.

Regards, Todd

You're kicking yourself?

I passed up the opportunity last year to buy the last six bottles of Taylor's 2000 vintage at the world's best wine store at $60 a bottle minus a 25% discount just because I thought I couldn't afford it in law school....

When my wife and I were first married, our nightly treat was a small glass of port, a wedge of bleu cheese and a few walnuts, topped with a drizzle of honey.

Heaven.

ouch

moses said:
Likewise, I have been accused of wine snobbery (although always on a limited budget - so my fun was finding the amazing buys for <$15 - you would be surprised). I bow before your cellar. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: DAMN!

Anyway, I agree that sangria is nothing to be sneezed at. Let's face it - there are few things better than a fine glass of something old and red, but the best way to enjoy it is not outdoors on a hot summer afternoon. Things like sangria, on the other hand, are just plain fun....

Even if I could afford to drink big buck wine every day, I wouldn't. Certainly, some great examples can be absolutely transcendental, but to me the greatest pleasure is in discovering inexpensive, delicious wines from over-acheiving producers. I've had some knockouts from Australia, but the south of France still seems to produce the finest reasonably priced wines I've tried. The Languedoc-Rousillon area produces a sea of wine, and some incredible bargains can be had.

ouch

For sheer mystique, nothing beats vintage port, but talk about a wine that is most decidedly not summer friendly. To me, it's the only good thing about winter.

Even though they've gone up quite a bit in the last few years, they're still pretty reasonable compared to first growths. The late bottled vintage ports, which can go for around $15, may be the best value in all of wine.

Now if I could only get a shaving cream that smells like '70 Taylor.:tongue_sm

mrob said:
My summer favorites are. . .

1. Gin (or vodka) & tonic--I know its heresy, but we used middle shelf gin for this drink--not sure its worth spending the $ on top shelf booze when you're mixing it with tonic water?

2. Mojitos--we've made 'em from scratch and the bottled mixers; they're all good! Lime, mint, rum--what's not to like?!?

I have to agree on the Mojitos; I had my first lastweek and it was very good.

Phog- Are you a Jayhawk???

Sam

Top Bottom