What's new

Summer imbibing(yes Ron, I need your input)

Ken said:
Todd,

You should get yourself a good book on mixing drinks. The two best that I am familiar with are The Craft of the Cocktail by Dale DeGroff and The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan. The classic is David Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, but it has been out of print for a number of years (and is out-of-date with respect to newer concoctions).

Bombay Sapphire gin is colorless just like other gins. There used to be some yellow gins that were aged briefly in wood. Booth's House of Lords was one and so was Seagrams. House of Lords is gone as far as I know and although I haven't looked recently, I believe Seagrams is no longer a yellow gin, but it may still be. Even the Bombay bottle is not blue. I bought a bottle a number of years ago thinking that I could take off the label and have a pretty blue bottle. Alas, the bottle is wrapped in a blue cellophane or similar film and that gives it the color. My favorite gins are Plymouth, Boodles (which has more juniper than most), Tanqueray, and even Beefeater, which seems to have gone out of fashion. I recall Seagrams as being very nice but with more citrus and less juniper than most. I don't care for a number of newer gins that seem to have sweetner added. Tanqueray's "10" is an example of that, or so it seemed to me when I tasted it, but many people do like it.

Ken

Not sure where your Bombay came from... all of mine were beautiful blue bottles... no plastic or cellaphane.

moses said:
I will NOT have iced tea sniffed at with some snobbish raised nose. It is a truely delightful and wonderfully cooling beverage, when made well. (As Todd says, none of that syrup crap). And it is meant to be SWEET.
Oh, good lordy! It's hard to beat a good sweet tea (properly pronounced either swee T or swaytay).

Aaron,

It's been a number of years since I had a bottle of Sapphire so they may have changed to a blue bottle. You might look at the very top of the bottle. If it's clear, then they are still using the cellophane. The cellophane (or whatever it was) was on very tightly, so that one could not tell. I'll check in a liquor store tomorrow.

Ken

mrob said:
You're reading my mind!

In my hand right now is a lovely G&T made with Seagrams Gin, diet tonic water, a squirt of bottled key lime juice and as much crushed ice as I can fit in this nice, tall sweating glass.

Ahhhhhhh. . .:tongue:

Great minds think alike. For me it's Seagrams, diet tonic water, a FRESH CUT wedge of lime and crushed ice. It's 117 in my backyard and the pool is calling my name.
Cheers,
Jeff

Well heck Ken. Even if it is only a blue jacket on the bottle, it looks smart as anything. The Bombay Sapphire is about the same price here in the States as that link in the UK. It was 14 pounds there which is about 25 U.S. dollars here. I shall have to try it sometime. I quite like gin and tonic even though my only experience was the Tangueray and whatever brand of tonic was being used at the bar.

Say fellas, tell me about "branch water". I've seen much mention of this for julep mixing and wondered what it was other than...water. Another mixer I've liked is cranberry juice. It makes a nice, dry cocktail. I really think I'd like Cosmopolitans, lady's drink or no.

Regards, Todd

Kyle said:
Oh, good lordy! It's hard to beat a good sweet tea (properly pronounced either swee T or swaytay).

Yes! It is true that on the 8th day the Lord made sweat tea.

Here's a quick Sweet Tea recipe. Take 2 large family tea bags (4 regular) and put them in the coffee-maker. Then fill the coffee maker with pint of water and brew. In a 2 quart container add 1/3 cup of sugar, brewed tea concentrate, and fill up to 2 qts or ltrs. You can add ice to the container if you don't have the time to let your Iced Tea cool.

If you want the best Tea possible. I know and respect the folks there. They're hometown heros and very ECO friendly no pesticides, fungicides or staples. It just so happens that Bigelow swooped into help them out.

Shaker with six fresh (clear!) ice cubes
1 oz Bombay Sapphire
1 oz Stolychnia
1/8 oz Noilly Proat Dry vermouth
six sharp shakes
Pour/strain into chilled Martini Stem
1 Green Olive stuffed with Pimento
1 Black Pitted Olive
Relax....

Mojitos are definitely the quintessential summertime drink.

Gin/Vodka Tonics are great. Another good 'twist' is instead of Vodka, Lime Juice and Tonic, try Vodka, Lemon Juice and 7Up.

-Nick

Well, technically, I believe "branch" would refer to water from a branch, aka crick, as opposed to say tap water. Main difference... no chlorine. I grew up with effectively this coming out of our tap - never been totally happy will municipal tap water since.

moses said:
Well, technically, I believe "branch" would refer to water from a branch, aka crick, as opposed to say tap water. Main difference... no chlorine. I grew up with effectively this coming out of our tap - never been totally happy will municipal tap water since.

Generally referred to as CREEK!

Randy

Depends on where you're from, among other things. Crick can be pretty standard in some parts of the country. "Branch" I don't know about... sounds like something someone who wanted to sound country would use.

moses said:
Depends on where you're from, among other things. Crick can be pretty standard in some parts of the country. "Branch" I don't know about... sounds like something someone who wanted to sound country would use.

I'm just picking at ya! Crick is something you get in your neck! However, now that I am living in Utah, I'm having to learn a new language! Fork is Fark! Orem is Oram! Of course, here in Utah, you buy inSURance, whereas in Texas, you buy INsurance.

Randy

guenron said:
1 oz Bombay Sapphire
1 oz Stolychnia
six sharp shakes
1 Black Pitted Olive
Relax....

Ah, I knew you had some nice Martini formulas because I'd seen them some time ago but just didn't want to search that hard for them. :blushing: Sounds like a nice cocktail. Even though I don't normally eat olives, I take it they are NOT in the martini for eating. Do they really add flavour or are they just there for looking at?

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
Ah, I knew you had some nice Martini formulas because I'd seen them some time ago but just didn't want to search that hard for them. :blushing: Sounds like a nice cocktail. Even though I don't normally eat olives, I take it they are NOT in the martini for eating. Do they really add flavour or are they just there for looking at?

Regards, Todd
Originally for the slightest of flavoring... After one or two Martinis, well, it's best to eat when you drink.:blushing:

guenron said:
Originally for the slightest of flavoring... After one or two Martinis, well, it's best to eat when you drink.:blushing:

If you love olives as much as I do, you always eat them. An olive is always improved by a good soaking in gin.... And then there is the Dirty Martini

1 oz Bombay Sapphire
1 oz Stolychnia
six sharp shakes
1 Black Pitted Olive

Thanks Ron !!
Just got off work and had to try this one out.
Bombay Sapphire and Skye Vodka....Martini and Rossi Vermouth. No Olives in the house however.

Just found my new favorite "grown-up" cocktail
"YOUDAMAN"!!!!

Top Bottom