What's new

Suit for black tie optional wedding

First off, I am new to this section of B&B so hello! I have some questions on formal wear so I thought I'd drop in and ask.

I'm at that age (mid 20s) when all of my friends have started to get engaged/married (not to far off myself either, actually) and I find myself in need of a suit for a bunch of wedding coming up in the next year. That said, the first wedding coming up is "black tie optional" and I have a few questions.

1) what does this mean exactly? I assume it means tux optional but the minimum would be a black suit and tie.

2) I don't own a black suit but would like to get one of decent quality without spending a ton of money. Any recommendations on brands/places to shop? I am all for spending some money to get quality, but being recently out of grad school I can spend a few hundred but don't have a huge budget.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Brooks brothers solid navy. My 2 cents (its optional) get a solid well tailored suit you can wear to many occasions. I wore my polo tux a few times in ten years. (Waste of money) just dumped it at salvation army last week.

Last edited:
I would assume a tux as well. I would love to own one, but just don't have enough of a need. A rental can be a good solution. However, I completely understand how funds are tight. I'm not only a grad student but I also have kids in college. You could certainly ask if you can wear a suit instead.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If tux is "optional" and funds are short right now I would go with a tux rental. When you can, keep your eye out for sales on better brands and get a well fitted black or charcoal grey suit.

If tux is "optional" and funds are short right now I would go with a tux rental. When you can, keep your eye out for sales on better brands and get a well fitted black or charcoal grey suit.

Any recommendations on brands to look out for? I have a few months before I really need anything.

Brooks brothers solid navy. My 2 cents (its optional) get a solid well tailored suit you can wear to many occasions. I wore my polo tux a few times in ten years. (Waste of money) just dumped it at salvation army last week.
How much should I expect to spend on a suit like this?

Any recommendations on brands to look out for? I have a few months before I really need anything.

As mentioned before, Brooks Brothers, as well as Hart Schaffner Marx and Hickey Freeman are all solid American companies that have been around forever. One option if you know your size is to look on eBay for a used suit and then pay to have it tailored to fit you.

I think the price range you look at will depend on how often you expect to wear the suit. If you plan to wear it only a few times a year, with limited funds I would consider Jos A Banks or Mens Warehouse. If you will wear it more frequently, while costing more initially, a better quality suit may be a better investment.

strop

Now half as wise
I bought my first tux at a tux rental place. It was used, but nobody else knew the difference. Paid less than $100, though it was 1986! But I wore it for almost 15 years until I, ummm, outgrew it! If you anticipate wearing it more than once it might pay for itself as opposed to rental. That said, if it says "optional" and dark navy suit, white shirt and dark tie should be OK.

Another consideration. How well do you know the bride and groom? Will you be one of only a handful not in a tux? Will that bother you? On the other hand, if half the men there are in dark suits, probably doesn't make as much difference.

Check around to see if there are "experienced" men's clothing stores in your area. I once bought a beautiful camel hair overcoat in San Antonio (<$100) and a white tux jacket in Houston (<$60). Both needed the sleeves to be shortened ($20 each) but both purchases were excellent values. I always prefer to try things on before I buy.

It basically means a tux is optional. If you are really close to the bride and groom then I would rent a tux. Don't buy one unless you plan to wear it frequently enough to make it worth your investment. A good tux can be costly. If you are not particularly close to the bride and groom then a nice suit will be a better investment, you can wear it more frequently and your cost per wear is lower.

Yes, black tie means a dinner jacket (UK) or tuxedo (US) worn with a black bow tie. Strictly speaking, it is evening wear and should not be worn during the day.

Any sober coloured suit with a dark tie is an acceptable alternative, although the tie itself should not be black as this indicates mourning.

Yes, black tie means a dinner jacket (UK) or tuxedo (US) worn with a black bow tie. Strictly speaking, it is evening wear and should not be worn during the day.

Any sober coloured suit with a dark tie is an acceptable alternative, although the tie itself should not be black as this indicates mourning.

Yup.

I would be more inclined to buy a charcoal grey suit as I feel that it is more practical than navy blue but unless you are very close to the couple, I wouldn't rent a dinner suit. As others have mentioned, keep your eyes open at suit hire stores; they often sell off clothing at terrific prices and as semi-formal gear tends to be very conservative, you can own and wear a suit for many years.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would check the price of hiring a suit.
Black tie is formal evening wear. Dinner jacket, bow tie etc. Keep it simple, it's the grooms day to stand out.

You can get a decent quality tux or suit at Jos. A Bank. Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, are definitely better quality, but cost 2-3 x more. Decision is up to your budget.

If you get a suit, don't get black. Get dark navy or dark charcoal as others have said. Much more versatile.

Also, look on eBay. I bought a $1,000 used suit there for $39 not long ago.

Enjoy.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
In my limited experience almost nobody outside the bridal party shows up in a tux for black tie optional weddings. I generally put it off to the bride going a little crazy, but it might be different in your neck of the woods.

If you are going to invest in a tux then you really need to invest in patent leather shoes. Regular leather, sneakers, boat shoes, etc. just don't seem to work as well with a tux.

If it's tux optional, I'd go without a tux, even though I own one.

Dark suit. Navy or charcoal is fine. No need for black.
White shirt. French cuffs if you have the gear already.
Conservative necktie.
Shine your shoes.

You'll be among the best dressed there without being over-dressed.

But do make sure your shoes are immaculately shined. Otherwise you've wasted everything else.

In my limited experience almost nobody outside the bridal party shows up in a tux for black tie optional weddings. I generally put it off to the bride going a little crazy, but it might be different in your neck of the woods.

If it's tux optional, I'd go without a tux, even though I own one.

Dark suit. Navy or charcoal is fine. No need for black.
White shirt. French cuffs if you have the gear already.
Conservative necktie.
Shine your shoes.

You'll be among the best dressed there without being over-dressed.

This is kind of what I was hoping/assuming. The bride is a close friend of my girlfriend from law school so we're reasonably close. Though her much more than me. I suppose I could always ask for clarification? Because it seems like this dress code can mean different things to different people.

Top Bottom