What's new

Suggestions for next razor

Hey folks, short time lurker, first time poster. Looking for suggestions on a more efficient and/or aggressive DE razor.

I'm currently using a Rockwell 6c for shaving my head, always plate 5/6, and overall it's a good razor. I shave every other day. Other than some very mild irritation on the top of my head if I get too reckless, I don't really have razor burn. I've tried multiple blades, and the yellow Gillette and Astra SP seem to be the best. GSB a close third. I feel like I've really nailed down my technique and lather is on point, but I find that I still need multiple passes to get close to BBS, and the shave just ends up taking forever. Recently tried a merkur 37c, but found that it was way too mild and required even more passes.

Unsure of where to go next, so any input you all would have would be great. Thanks.

I'd like to humbly suggest giving the RazoRock Lupo .95 SB a try.

This is a razor with a significant gap but more importantly a blade-forward geoemtry that should allow you to get where you need in fewer strokes/passes.

I've had mine for several months now and am quite pleased with it. The only thing I'd caution about is that due to it's increased blade feel you may find that some of your favorites in the Rockwell might not work as well in the Lupo.

Good luck!

Finding the PERFECT Razor is tough question.

As each of us are like our finger prints, we are unique.

My beard is tough, back when I tried electrics. They never worked well. Did great job of giving me INGROWN HAIRS.

Buddy was in Barber College, he needed someone to be his Guinea pig for state board.

I agreed one day and showed up with two days of beard. He looked, his instructor look.

Told Earn find another Model, your friend beard grows wind in too many directions. Use this guy you will fail board.

Wild frowning beard, and sensitive skin is my problem.

Never get great shave, it’s my DNA.

I'm a big RazoRock fan. I have the GC 68-P SB, GC 84-P SB and a new Lupo .95 SB. I have no experience with your current razor. So, I can't Council you on which would be a more comfortable, 'aggressive' and 'efficient' razor. And, as was pointed out, everybody's face is like a 'fingerprint'. BTW, I like that analogy and will use it again.

I'm on my 5th, 3-pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) shave on a month-long Lupo .95 SB trial and so far, I'm really impressed. The overall comfort, aggression and efficieny of the razor is outstanding. And, this is from someone who avoided 'aggressive' razors like the plague. I also have to give the nod to Astra SP blades as part of the 'system'.

I was doing a GC 84-P month 'trial', but cut it short by 4 days because I couldn't contain myself when the 'Lupo' showed up at my door. I have to say, the GC 84-P was giving me excellent shaves, as well.

I've said this numerous times, but, I could live with any of these razors as 'my one and only'.

Sorry, if I've confused and/or muddied the water for you further.

b/r

ON_1

Hard to say we are all so different. I can tell you for me and my beard (I don’t shave my head) that my best performing favorite razors are:

Blackbird
Yates 921-H
Athena
Aristocrat
Lupo 95
Rocca
Greencult 2.0
Henson Ti22 med
Vector
ATT X1

I’m a daily shaver and all these razors provide excellent shaves with no irritation. Maybe one of these could be right up your alley.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hard to say we are all so different. I can tell you for me and my beard (I don’t shave my head) that my best performing favorite razors are:

Blackbird
Yates 921-H
Athena
Aristocrat
Lupo 95
Rocca
Greencult 2.0
Henson Ti22 med
Vector
ATT X1

I’m a daily shaver and all these razors provide excellent shaves with no irritation. Maybe one of these could be right up your alley.
@gdawg55 , I have three of those razors... and they all made it to my top 6 list easily... the Athena, the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 and the ATT X1 AC Slant.. lovely.. all three of them.

Edit. I don't shave my head either.. but I do shave all of my face.

I have a pretty thick beard and shave every three days and the Henson medium is a dream razor for me. The RK Indian made blades are as good as anything I have used. I go one pass and then some minor clean up. My skin care is vitamin c serum, retinol at night and chemical exfoliation twice a week so my skin is pretty smooth. Shaving has never been an issue for me.

Try the Henson, the medium is a fantastic razor.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It helped me, realizing I wanted a few top razors... not one "perfect, Goldilocks" razor. I relaxed a bit.... found a few great people here who shave the same needs as mine....It did take me about a year to assemble a small group of razors I just love. Now, they are mostly on the upper middle price range. I was fortunate. I had a pretty decent shaving slush fund... but that ran out and I ended up selling off some stuff. That was a good feeling as well... being able to fund something I wanted when the funds ran out by providing some great razors and brushes to others in the community.

How about the Fatip Grande. It's a great razor and the price in nice also.

Fatip_99.JPG

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Go slant, young man. :) You can trust me; I shave my head.

You tried the Merkur 37 and it was too mild. Hmmm. Keep that on the back burner for now.

That lets out the RazoRock German 37, for sure.

@Phoenixkh has already suggested the Above the Tie X1 (an AC-blade, single edge, tilted slant) and that's a good one. I like mine, and also like ATT's S2 (double edge, open comb, helical slant).

The Fatip Open Comb Slant or "FOCS" is relatively inexpensive and delivers a pretty good shave.

I also suggest taking a look at RazoRock's Superslant razors. At present they're making them in L1, L2 and L3 with additional "levels" between L1 and L2, and L2 and L3. Those levels are "+" and "++." They eventually plan to have additional levels in L3. All of the baseplates are solid bar at the moment; we hear they are working on open comb plates as well and I for one am awaiting that anxiously.

RazoRock's ad copy says the Superslant falls about midway between the Stealth and the Wunderbar. I also own those, and I can report that the L3SB Superslant does, in fact, feel that way. The L3 falls a bit closer to the Wunderbar than the Stealth in my opinion.

Very smooth, very nice razor. It shaves all areas well for me, but excels on those areas with both hard hair and a tendency toward irritation.

O.H.

I would recommend starting with one of the RazoRock stainless steel models. I used to use the Rockwell 6C and found it required too many passes to get a close shave (face not head). I liked the GameChanger .84 (both safety bar and open comb), but I eventually sold it, and replaced it with the Lupo .95 open comb and the SuperSlant. The RazoRock razors are a bargain in quality stainless steel razors (except, perhaps for the SuperSlant which is a bit pricy), and all of the razors I've mentioned offer multiple base plates so you can move up or down in the level of aggressiveness without having to buy an entire new razor.

As someone else suggested, you could look at the Fatip razors. I've owned all of their variations, but could never use them daily without winding up with an irritation on my neck. But if they work for you, they are an even bigger bargain than the RazoRock options.

Of course, there are lots of other choices to consider, many of which I have not tried, and some of which have already been suggested in this thread.

Budget? Blackbird comes to mind. That said, I’ve heard lots of people praise the AC format for head Shaving specifically. If that’s the case, I can say the Vector is an absolute treat.

Have you tried an adjustable razor? I use my Merkur Progress a lot, in preference to a bunch of vintage Gillettes and a RR Lupo aluminum. You have to load the blade carefully in the Progress, maintaining even exposure on both edges. (This issue may have been fixed in the "new" Progress with altered molds).

The Pearl Flexi (I haven't tried it) is priced similarly to the Progress, fully-machined, and made of plated brass (rather than Zamak). It gets good reviews.

. Charles

I agree about the Rockwell, I have a 6s and it takes too many passes to get anything done. I also have all 4 RR Gamechanger plates. In my view nicer than the 6s but still with every combination possible I still felt something missing in my search for the efficiency/smoothness I wanted.
Because of the cult following here, I took a chance on the FOCS, certainly cheap enough to give a shot.
I haven’t looked back, bought 3 more so I would have a spare and gave two away as gifts.
The recipients are always thanking me.

Top Bottom