What's new

Suggestions for next razor

wow thank you all for the suggestions! If I was a richer man I think I'd give the Blackbird a try, because man they look amazing, but ugh that price tag.

Well if you not rich., you can still get a good production razor. Boutique or small run companies can demand high prices because of supply, demand, and hype.

Like car a Hugo junker will transport you, but a Ferarri will transport you in style.

wow thank you all for the suggestions! If I was a richer man I think I'd give the Blackbird a try, because man they look amazing, but ugh that price tag.
The Blackbird often comes up in Buy/Sell/Trade. It is definitely worth the price. It is great on both face and dome.

As you are looking for a lower priced razor, as recommended by many others, the Lupo .95 is an excellent performer at any price. I also highly recommend the Merkur Progress. Shaving both face and dome, I really appreciate the flexibility of an adjustable. You will not be sacrificing anything in performance with those razors, and the price is great.

My current favorite razor for less than $100 USD is the Parker Variant. It is a copy of the Merkur Progress design but with handle knurling and a metal adjustment knob. Really a great razor for the price IMO and performs well above the relatively modest price.

You can get quite a collection of aggressive vintage Gillette razors for under $100. From the original Old Type to the New Improved, NEW, the pre-war Tech, and finally the Red Tip Super Speed. I think you could get all 5 of these in reasonable user-grade condition, for $15-30 each on eBay.

Not sure about head shaving as I've never done it before, but I can tell you these four razors are my favorites for their smoothness and efficiency while maintaining middle-of-the-road blade feel/aggressiveness:

RazoRock Game Changer 0.84
Yates 921-H
Karve CB with the D plate
Muhle ROCCA

💯

Agreed.

IMHO, this is precisely why it's useful to steer newer folks toward what seems like the most suitable starting point and let them go from there. Over time, they will likely get closer to 'perfect' through their own experience.
If you well off you can buy bunch of pricy stuff to experiment with, if not set price point, go to Classifieds on this forum, with such your first pick with give you shave that is what you want. The PerfecShave, but like the PerfecWave some Surfer find, and other look and never find.

From the original Old Type to the New Improved, NEW, the pre-war Tech, and finally the Red Tip Super Speed.

Are those 3 different razors (New Improved vs New vs pre-war tech)? sorry probably a stupid question. I've seen people throw around the phrase pre-war tech but never understood what they meant

Karve Overlander with a 4” handle. Flawless shaves.

Chiseled Face Ti - great razor.

Candidly, if I shaved my head, the Blackbird handle would be short for me. I wouldn’t want that much blade feel on my head.

Carbon Ti ++ plate. Wonderful shaver.

Henson I would say is also good, but I prefer the Overlander. Have owned medium and aggressive hensons in Ti and Al.

Are those 3 different razors (New Improved vs New vs pre-war tech)? sorry probably a stupid question. I've seen people throw around the phrase pre-war tech but never understood what they meant
All 3 are quite different. The pre-war tech is generally recognized by the triangular-shaped slots in the base plate, compared to the rectangular-ish slots post-war (post WWII, which ended in 1945). There were a lot of "tech" variations as it was a very popular design.

www.mr-razor.com

Pretty much all you need to know about Gillette safety razors!

Be careful though, you might want one of each!

I was also going to recommend the Mr Razor site - excellent reference with lots of pictures.

I would say you can't go wrong with the blackbird, lupo 95, or perhaps the tatara nodochi. Maybe even consider the gamechanger 84 or lupo open comb variantsi f looking for a more aggressive razor.

I have the same question. Have these guys left from my first couple sample packs. I have settled on Feather, Silver Blues, and Astra Green. But I want to get into these and see how they do. My Razors are Rockwell 6C, Merkur 34G, Gold Fat Handle Tech, and a Muhle R89. What combo do you guys suggest?
1682178858408.jpeg

Gonna bump this thread and report in that the search continues.

I tried an R41, which felt very draggy and rough the entire time. It also did not seem to provide any closer of a shave than my Rockwell 6C on a 5 plate. Overall it was just unpleasant.

Also tried gamechanger .84, which did feel very smooth, but again I can't say I noticed a huge difference in closeness / efficiency. I mean maybe my technique is not dialed in? but I'm not sure.

Thinking of trying the Lupo 95 next, maybe the OC variety. Thoughts on the Fatip piccolo?

I tried an R41, which felt very draggy and rough the entire time. It also did not seem to provide any closer of a shave than my Rockwell 6C on a 5 plate. Overall it was just unpleasant.
What blade did you use? Shaving my face with a Feather in an R41 leaves it feeling like it's been worked over with a farrier's rasp. A Bic CP or an Astra SP, on the other hand, leave it feeling great... and I'm neurotic about going over any patches I can feel till it's all glass.

What blade did you use? Shaving my face with a Feather in an R41 leaves it feeling like it's been worked over with a farrier's rasp. A Bic CP or an Astra SP, on the other hand, leave it feeling great... and I'm neurotic about going over any patches I can feel till it's all glass.

A feather one day, and maybe Gillette platinum or silver blue the other day. Neither were great. But I will give Astra and Bic a try. I've had a pack of unopened Bic for a few weeks now, just never pulled the trigger on it.

Gonna bump this thread and report in that the search continues.

Also tried gamechanger .84, which did feel very smooth, but again I can't say I noticed a huge difference in closeness / efficiency. I mean maybe my technique is not dialed in? but I'm not sure.

Thinking of trying the Lupo 95 next, maybe the OC variety. Thoughts on the Fatip piccolo?
The Lupo 95 should do the trick. Efficiency of the R41 without the rough as nails shaving experience.

Top Bottom