What's new

Sugest any tough sunshades,im rough on sunglasses

i brake any pair in a month, by just cleaning the lens or taking them off ect. I got rough hands,lol any good ones out there?

The frames made by "Flexon" are tough. They are sometimes available on e bay. The Company name is Marchon and the metal frames which are bendable
and almost unbreakable ( almost) are called Flexon.

So now all you need to do is have a lens fitted.

You can get polycarbonate sun glasses and they are pretty tough. You need to get a scratch protection.

The other way is to buy cheap old glasses and just buy new when you bust the old ones. Actually this way is the cheapest by far.

I too, can be rough on sunglasses, being my profession. The best pair I have bought and currently own is the Oakley Magnesium M frame. They are light weitht and strong. Not sure if Oakley still makes them. Also, they have titanium frames.

Another pair I have when I fly is the Maui Jim's Paradise. They are strong, flexible, and great quality in their lens. They are polarized, which can be a pain in the butt with certain LCD flight instruments, but I deal with that.

A kind of odd (and real cheap: about 12 bucks) suggestion, but have a look at UVEX safety glasses.

We get their safety glasses for work and they look good enough for street wear.

A couple of examples:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/uvex.html

I wear the Genesis XC with Shade 5.0 lenses.

If you like more "traditional" ones, there are the Polarized Safety Eyewear and the Millennia (Mil Spec)

Regards,

- John

Last edited:
Do you have a style in mind?

The Maui Jim/Flexon frames are tough, but it is easy to crack the lenses where they are drilled and bolted to the frame. BTDT, luckily most have been replaced under warranty.

There are a few safety glasses out there that look good enough, and the quality of the lenses is much better than they used to be.

Walmart, Sam's club, and Costco all have good sunglasses in their optical departments--they are always a good price but I have picked up Serenghetti and Bolles for under $20 when they were on clearance.

Both of my prescription glasses are Oakley sunglass frames. They are the toughest I have found.

A kind of odd (and real cheap: about 12 bucks) suggestion, but have a look at UVEX safety glasses.

We get their safety glasses for work and they look good enough for street wear.

A couple of examples:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/uvex.html

I wear the Genesis XC with Shade 5.0 lenses.

If you like more "traditional" ones, there are the Polarized Safety Eyewear and the Millennia (Mil Spec)

Regards,
what sizes are there. i see a chart dont know what it means

- John
what sizes are there. i see a chart dont know what it means

saftey glasses would have been my suggestion also..
They are made for the masses and usually can be adjusted to made and acceptable fit
price is right.
I go through a few pairs a month at work..
company supplies.

Once you find a style you like, buy a CASE--because they will be discontinued when you go to look for replacements.

I'm also tough on glasses. I wear military issue American Optics aviators. Their cheap because they're mass produced for the military, they are stylish, tough, and come in a lot of different options in terms of glass/polycarbonate, lens color, frame size, and ear piece style. Only sunglasses worn on the moon!

proxy.php

Question regarding these: Are they 100% UVA/UVB protective (description just says 'protects against UV rays'). It also says they protect against IR from welding, etc. Does that mean these can safely replace a welding helmet?

I can't speak to the UV protection, other than that I like them. Uvex USA should be able to answer tuit suite.

I would never use anything but a welding helmet for electric welding. Actinic light will blind you.

Regards,

- John

Welding shade #5 is a very mild shade, like for brazing with a small flame. definitely NOT for arc welding, which are like #10 and darker shades. It has been a while and it was never my JOB to know, so take this for what you paid for it.

Check out ic! berlin or Mykita, they are very flexible, and they don't have small pieces like screws in them that will break or fall out. I used to go through 1-2 pairs of sunglasses a year until I bought a pair of these. They are not cheap, but they are bulletproof.

The frames made by "Flexon" are tough. They are sometimes available on e bay. The Company name is Marchon and the metal frames which are bendable
and almost unbreakable ( almost) are called Flexon.

Tough? Flexon's frames, at least in my experience, are wimpy. I have not had a pair of their glasses last me more than a year.

My vote is going to be for Costa Del Mar. I have two pair, and that is probably all I'll ever own again.

The comfort is outstanding. I've worn RayBan's, Oakelys, you name it. Even cheaper brands. In fact, I have several pair on the bay right now I'm getting rid of, because Costas are the only things I wear.

Top Bottom