What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

View attachment 811825 View attachment 811824
View attachment 811826 I just bought this off the Bay.
I live in Newcastle and this is an image of our Cathedral.
Complete with the original box, the label states the address about 3 miles from where I live.
The razor appears to be pre 1891 with no country stamped on the blade, Ivory scales and a lead wedge, which fits in with a little research I did.
The Tower dates back to 1500's but was renovated and given Cathedral status in 1880 which all seems to tie in nicely.
I thought it was going to be a nightmare to renovate and hone as the blade is as straight as a Banana, it has taken a fantastic edge with the narrowest and straightest of bevels.
It has given me an awesome shave today, a very light and fine blade.

Nice score mate I'm south of you in Lincoln

View attachment 811917 View attachment 811918
I received this Klas Törnblom today from parts unknown in Lativa. It was born in ESKILSTUNA found its way to Lativa and now have arrived in the United States. It seems to have been broken and now have a pair of scales that are not a set as one side is black plastic and the other is red wood. The blade isn't centered perfectly so I will treat this lovely blade to a new set of scales as a gift for making a successful journey to the States. Maybe a buff and polish for the blade and a hone for its troubles and a big hearty welcome to its new home

That sure will look stunning once you get hold of it, hope you post pics of that when it's restored to its glory.

Great score Ian...those are great shavers!!

Thanks Dagwoodz!! I all ready have one but no where near in that condition.

Those Ator razors are sexy, love the lines! Have fun!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Luecke2326 they sure do look sexy.

Thats a beauty!!

Thanks 6Cuda6 I hope it looks the same when it gets here.

Nice score mate I'm south of you in Lincoln

That sure will look stunning once you get hold of it, hope you post pics of that when it's restored to its glory.

Thanks Dagwoodz!! I all ready have one but no where near in that condition.

Thanks Luecke2326 they sure do look sexy.

Thanks 6Cuda6 I hope it looks the same when it gets here.
@Ice-Man, I most certainly will post once it's restored. I'm thinking about going with some blue acrylester scales blue being my favorite color. Any suggestions?

Got this one in from the UK yesterday...approx 6/8 with ivory or celluloid tang and scales with a turned tin case....no makers marks though sadly.
20170812_114052.jpg

It's a Solingen razor from around 1900. Before that the tang was covered with scales not a whole piece. Good shaver nice looks. No I don't know who made it but ERN is my prime suspect.
Thanks for the info Arne....your a straight razor history archive!!

I really need to stop watching this thread, you guys have me lusting for mor razors. Some great acquisitions.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@Ice-Man, I most certainly will post once it's restored. I'm thinking about going with some blue acrylester scales blue being my favorite color. Any suggestions?

@Deelyte Hell no the blue will make the razor really stand out

Got this one in from the UK yesterday...approx 6/8 with ivory or celluloid tang and scales with a turned tin case....no makers marks though sadly. View attachment 812279

Wow mate that looks fantastic, and I will go with Polarbeard saying ERN.

A WADE BUTCHER
I picked this Wade up today for thirty dollars I said I will bite the bullet and take her home. I believe razors are subjective what I like you may not like and vice versa with a recent thread I decided I would see for myself if I like Wade Butcher razors. I'm going to try to have this blade buffed and polished then honed also I would like some new scales for it and give it a go. If it isn't to my liking there is always BST
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Northfield Cutlery faux frameback. Scales are shot and it needs a shining, but it has potential. HOORAY, antique shop!

Also saw a BEAUTIFUL Henkels #33 seven day set. Wish I could afford THAT!!!
proxy.php

I was doing so fine. I hadn't bought a razor for a very long time, and I felt really content about it. Of course I wanted a Koorat full hollow, but a razor for $500 (configured the way I want it) and already having far more fine razors than I'll ever be able utilise fully? Nah shouldn't think so.

Of course I buy stuff like bath soap, face cream and an occasional shaving soap. I still get a lot of emails from internet shops. So about a month ago one of them sent me an email telling me that they had 50 percent sale on selected products. Well a look can't hurt I thought (yeah!). I immediately saw a black bladed Dovo reduced to about 40 percent of the official list price. Not for me, I've already got two Dovo 5/8 I thought, but then I took another look... and a third. I've wanted a black blade for ages and Dovo makes good razors. Suddenly I had bought it. The price was ridiculousness low, but the buyers remorse afterwards was really bad, Well now I've added a third Dovo 5/8 to my enormous collection, It's comforting to know that the razor is a good one.

2017-08-13 17.58.39.jpg

I was doing so fine. I hadn't bought a razor for a very long time, and I felt really content about it. Of course I wanted a Koorat full hollow, but a razor for $500 (configured the way I want it) and already having far more fine razors than I'll ever be able utilise fully? Nah shouldn't think so.

Of course I buy stuff like bath soap, face cream and an occasional shaving soap. I still get a lot of emails from internet shops. So about a month ago one of them sent me an email telling me that they had 50 percent sale on selected products. Well a look can't hurt I thought (yeah!). I immediately saw a black bladed Dovo reduced to about 40 percent of the official list price. Not for me, I've already got two Dovo 5/8 I thought, but then I took another look... and a third. I've wanted a black blade for ages and Dovo makes good razors. Suddenly I had bought it. The price was ridiculousness low, but the buyers remorse afterwards was really bad, Well now I've added a third Dovo 5/8 to my enormous collection, It's comforting to know that the razor is a good one.

View attachment 812617
Arne dont feel bad...i have more razors than storage....my wife worked so hard to make me a gorgeous storage box that i have compleyely filled up and the razors just keep showing up in my mail boxs.....lol.

Arne dont feel bad...i have more razors than storage....my wife worked so hard to make me a gorgeous storage box that i have compleyely filled up and the razors just keep showing up in my mail boxs.....lol.
You need a Razor Condo! 15 Razors per floor, sadly I am at almost full occupancy, but the 1st floor is for the Coti, Loupe and Trans-ark, but they may get evicted soon, LOL

proxy.php

Top Bottom