What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

No idea, There were so many makers and so many sub brands. I did a quick check and didn't find anything.

Many thanks for trying! It is a problem - having watched videos of razors being made it is obvious to me that this is no simple task - so it amazes me that so many decided to make razors!

C.

Found two razors during our vacation. The good news on this hunt is I ran across over three dozen razors. That's a major record for an afternoon's hunt. The bad news is most of them were in really bad shape. But I did find two that came home with me. Each was $15. Lots of fun had for $30.

One is a Wade and Butcher WR. My research says it dates between 1837 and 1838. If I'm wrong I'll happily listen to corrections. The blades in fine shape. The second is completely new to me. Any and all comments / info is welcome. It's a shoulderless razor called "The Bess". I blew up the branding area to expose the worn lettering. HELP! The rust looks worse than it really is. It should clean up very well.

DSCN5866 - Branding Views.jpg DSCN5866 - Branding Views.jpg DSCN5867 - Backsides.jpg

Can the scales on either of these razors be saved?

Here's the branding on each of the blades.
DSCN5870 - The Bess Branding.jpg

DSCN5869 - WB Branding.jpg

Fantastic Scores Gents, that Torrey is a drool machine, NICE!
Thank you, let's hope the Torrey shaves as well as it looks I imagine that it will I've had great shaves with the other two that I acquired
I am delighted with this very clean razor with its curious chrome-plated scales. M&F 738, Solingen. I shall see what I can do with it this evening ready for a shave tomorrow morning.

View attachment 810354
Very Nice, I likey oh so much. French tip and thumb notch winners all around I can't improve upon with Arne said she definitely is a beauty

Thank you, let's hope the Torrey shaves as well as it looks I imagine that it will I've had great shaves with the other two that I acquired

Very Nice, I likey oh so much. French tip and thumb notch winners all around I can't improve upon with Arne said she definitely is a beauty

Thank you, I must say I am pleased - and to my eyes the razor looks really quite modern, in the style say of a Ralf Aust, although I suppose, as it came from ebay at moderate cost it is probably fairly old

C.

IMG_7278.JPG
IMG_7277.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG

Snagged this beauty on Tuesday along with this weird looking straight... The Antique stores have been really giving up their bounty lately!
IMG_7271.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dorko 7/8 NOS Straight .Just did a quick touch up on an Escher .Shave was wonderful .Excellent Razor .It did empty my pockets on purchase .
dorko.jpg

IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG
New to me 6/8 BB custom in wood burl. The last owner took great care of the razor and even had a nice shave ready edge on it! First shave today, was very good. I am always impressed with Brian's grinds, a 1/4 hollow that shaves like a full.

Nite (1 of 1)-13.jpg
Nite (1 of 1)-11.jpg

Nite (1 of 1)-12.jpg
I just bought this off the Bay.
I live in Newcastle and this is an image of our Cathedral.
Complete with the original box, the label states the address about 3 miles from where I live.
The razor appears to be pre 1891 with no country stamped on the blade, Ivory scales and a lead wedge, which fits in with a little research I did.
The Tower dates back to 1500's but was renovated and given Cathedral status in 1880 which all seems to tie in nicely.
I thought it was going to be a nightmare to renovate and hone as the blade is as straight as a Banana, it has taken a fantastic edge with the narrowest and straightest of bevels.
It has given me an awesome shave today, a very light and fine blade.

View attachment 811825 View attachment 811824
View attachment 811826 I just bought this off the Bay.
Complete with the original box, the label states the address about 3 miles from where I live.
The razor appears to be pre 1891 with no country stamped on the blade, Ivory scales and a lead wedge, which fits in with a little research I did.
The Tower dates back to 1500's but was renovated and given Cathedral status in 1880 which all seems to tie in nicely.
I thought it was going to be a nightmare to renovate and hone as the blade is as straight as a Banana, it has taken a fantastic edge with the narrowest and straightest of bevels.

Congrats on the great pick-up with some awesome ties to Tyne-side! If you're a toon fan...HWTL this weekend!

View attachment 811825 View attachment 811824
View attachment 811826 I just bought this off the Bay.
Great score, it looks magnificent marvelous job on the restore. Enjoy

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I received this Klas Törnblom today from parts unknown in Lativa. It was born in ESKILSTUNA found its way to Lativa and now have arrived in the United States. It seems to have been broken and now have a pair of scales that are not a set as one side is black plastic and the other is red wood. The blade isn't centered perfectly so I will treat this lovely blade to a new set of scales as a gift for making a successful journey to the States. Maybe a buff and polish for the blade and a hone for its troubles and a big hearty welcome to its new home

View attachment 811917 View attachment 811918
I received this Klas Törnblom today from parts unknown in Lativa. It was born in ESKILSTUNA found its way to Lativa and now have arrived in the United States. It seems to have been broken and now have a pair of scales that are not a set as one side is black plastic and the other is red wood. The blade isn't centered perfectly so I will treat this lovely blade to a new set of scales as a gift for making a successful journey to the States. Maybe a buff and polish for the blade and a hone for its troubles and a big hearty welcome to its new home

Glad you rescued that blade. I cant stand the ebonite hard rubber smell myself, but love that Swedish steel. I used one of mine Tuesday and the shave was so good, I didn't want to use the next razor up on the rotation.lol. Well, I hope you get her sorted soon and enjoy many fine shaves with her.

Glad you rescued that blade. I cant stand the ebonite hard rubber smell myself, but love that Swedish steel. I used one of mine Tuesday and the shave was so good, I didn't want to use the next razor up on the rotation.lol. Well, I hope you get her sorted soon and enjoy many fine shaves with her.
Thank you @Bad_B, I did the same earlier in the week I doubled up with the other Törnblom that I own. It's a model without the thumb notch. On deck for tomorrow is my CVH MK31

Top Bottom