What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
This is part 1 of why I dropped out of the Feb GRUME. A user grade Fili 14 (second gen, I think). It still has 15/16 of blade. The etching is completely gone, but it was very reasonably priced and I'm not really a fan of flashy etchings... Will hone it up over the next day or two and see how it shaves...

View attachment 1621278

If you send that to me you could still claim February GRUME. Trust me.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A unicorn just arrived, 6/8 Geneva Forge Mark (hammered tang). It’s freakin’ NOS.

2757D0B0-CE00-4D9D-977A-5B4E65C38652.jpeg
D0D07DB6-E7C7-4C2D-B1B3-FCF26B9150C5.jpeg

You might be right about that.
I thought I had a box with X-Ray spelled out,
but I just took another look at it, and it's not spelled out,

I've never seen a 6/8 Tornblom, so you're doing pretty good right there.
Meant to mention, on the back of the tang it's lightly etched "Sandvik Stål". My other one had so much rust on the spine thay any etch would have been obliterated. Does yours have the steel called out on it?

It was pretty common on the framebacks to have the source of the steel stamped on the spine but I haven't seen it on a non-frameback before.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@gpjoe, welcome to the gentlemanly art.

Shaving with a replaceable blade straight razor (RBSR) is one way to introduce yourself to SR shaving. They are similar but different from traditional SRs.

Do not be too concerned about learning to strop a SR. It is a task that can be easily mastered. With just stropping on clean (not pasted) leather using a truly shave-ready SR, you will not need to learn honing for many months of daily SR shaving.

It is not uncommon for shave-ready SRs to be listed in the BST forum on B&B. They can be purchased there for about US$50 and above.

Here are some instructions for beginners to SR shaving. They are written for shaving with a traditional SR but much is also applicable to RBSR shaving.

Any questions, just ask. Most here enjoy helping others.

@gpjoe, welcome to the gentlemanly art.

Shaving with a replaceable blade straight razor (RBSR) is one way to introduce yourself to SR shaving. They are similar but different from traditional SRs.

Do not be too concerned about learning to strop a SR. It is a task that can be easily mastered. With just stropping on clean (not pasted) leather using a truly shave-ready SR, you will not need to learn honing for many months of daily SR shaving.

It is not uncommon for shave-ready SRs to be listed in the BST forum on B&B. They can be purchased there for about US$50 and above.

Here are some instructions for beginners to SR shaving. They are written for shaving with a traditional SR but much is also applicable to RBSR shaving.

Any questions, just ask. Most here enjoy helping others.

Thank you.

Just so I'm understanding:

If I obtain true shave-ready razor, and strop it between shaves, it will remain shaving sharp for several months?

If I obtain true shave-ready razor, and strop it between shaves, it will remain shaving sharp for several months?

Assuming you don't ding it, or roll the edge stropping, or some other accident. However, you can easily send it to one of the many competent honers here who would restore the edge for you in the event of misadventure.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Which, of course, means that one MUST have a razor rotation of at least three: one in use, one backup, and one out for honing.

That was easy. 😆😆😆
You would be very well set up with your shavette and just one SR. If you do damage your SR, you just return to your shavette while the SR is being repaired.

You can set yourself up with a new SR kit that really does work for about US$22 including shipping to your door. All you will need is a brush and soap, which I assume you already have. This kit should be sufficient for a few hundred shaves before having to hone (baring physical damage).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you.

Just so I'm understanding:

Yes. I'm just not sure if you the type of person who is ready for SR shaving. Only you know the truth.

Successfully SR shaver appear to be a special type of man.

Successfully SR shaver appear to be a special type of man.
If you translate this to Norwegian it can also mean that you are a weirdo:letterk1:
Just a little fun fact.
When i start to talk about straight razors with friends and family i think the Norwegian translation is probably correct. They just look at me, and change the subject:)
So are we a community weirdos or are we in fact a special type of men?

Top Bottom