What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Yes…it’s a sterile Sprecher, because there is the Abalone inlay in the tang, so no markings anywhere on the razor.

I bought it second hand (only used a couple times…still had the edge from Max…never honed by the previous owner) and it is absolutely the best razor I have ever used.

Vr

Matt
I have one razor with Sprecher's edge. It is a CVH and it shaves very well. But just one thing; Sprecher uses 3M tape #22, which is 10 mil thick. So if you hone naked, it will take just a bit to get to that edge.

I have one razor with Sprecher's edge. It is a CVH and it shaves very well. But just one thing; Sprecher uses 3M tape #22, which is 10 mil thick. So if you hone naked, it will take just a bit to get to that edge.
Yes…I killed the edge, 1K, 4k, 8k, 12k, 20k, Okudo JNAT. Zero issues in resetting the bevel…pretty easy razor to hone!

Adding this tape to the spine would increase the bevel angle of an 8/8 by 2°, which would push a perfect 17,5° bevel to a borderline 19,5°. This effect on the level angle would be even bigger on narrower blades.

Last edited:
Yes…I killed the edge, 1K, 4k, 8k, 12k, 20k, Okudo JNAT. Zero issues in resetting the bevel…pretty easy razor to hone!
That's a great progression. I do the same with Shapton glass up to 16k, and then I dial it down with an Oozuku Asagi. Trouble is; your Sprecher is too pretty to use. It needs to be under glass with special lighting to accent the scales.

That's a great progression. I do the same with Shapton glass up to 16k, and then I dial it down with an Oozuku Asagi. Trouble is; your Sprecher is too pretty to use. It needs to be under glass with special lighting to accent the scales.

Ha…thanks! That thought crossed my mind, but then I used it…the only drawback to using it was the masterfully worked and polished spine kept catching the light…I found myself admiring it instead of focusing on the task at hand!

I plan to use it quite a bit…as far as the buttery Sheffield steel feel…I have my SCARGILL on a pedestal for the quintessential Sheffield feel…this razor was right there! Perhaps I will use my SG later this week after I use the Sprecher again on WED.

I received this in the mail today. I will post another photo after I get it cleaned up.
W & B-1.jpg
W & B-2.jpg

I got this one just because of the odd numbers. Traditionally the number following the . runs from 1 to 9. I have found one razor labeled 0 but never seen 43. Interestingly it's also stamped 43 on the other side where so far I have only seen single digits by the pin hole in Arabic numerals. I emailed Fikira to see what he thinks about it.
Plenty of rust and pitting, went really light with the sanding. Scales were caked so after I used flush cutters on both sides I still had to drill the pin out.

E62C371D-A132-4ECC-9F2F-0206B0C21C48_1_201_a Large.jpeg

E97A2711-2DAA-4032-9F87-5A3E3A87136C_1_201_a Large.jpeg

This is part 1 of why I dropped out of the Feb GRUME. A user grade Fili 14 (second gen, I think). It still has 15/16 of blade. The etching is completely gone, but it was very reasonably priced and I'm not really a fan of flashy etchings... Will hone it up over the next day or two and see how it shaves...

View attachment 1621278

It looks much nicer compared to the one I received just over a week ago. Mine was also reasonably priced. I sent it off to Dion at DC Blades for a restore and new scales. It will no longer be considered "reasonably priced" when he returns it to me.

14-1.jpg

That particular model is known as the X-Ray,
and there are variations of it,
in case you didn't already know.
Every clean Törnblom I have seen has the X etch if that's what you're referring to...but I have not seen a 6/8 thumbnotched one before.
The smaller shoulderless ones are more common in my experience.

Every clean Törnblom I have seen has the X etch if that's what you're referring to...but I have not seen a 6/8 thumbnotched one before.
The smaller shoulderless ones are more common in my experience.

You might be right about that.
I thought I had a box with X-Ray spelled out,
but I just took another look at it, and it's not spelled out,

I've never seen a 6/8 Tornblom, so you're doing pretty good right there.

Top Bottom