What's new

Stones that were let downs

After looking at the similar straight razor post thought I would make one for stones. I have had a couple stones that were let downs. My first jnat had great finishing but a crack in the center of the stone finished it off.

Another stone that was a let down for me was my first vintage coticule. The blue side was finer than the yellow but I just could not get the stone to work for me. Even sent it out to a friend who agreed it was a midrange stone. Below is a photo of that coticule which from the photo actually looks like a sweet one, wish I tried oil on it! Should have kept it for progression but I'm sure it funded another learning experience.
ls90wFl.jpeg

I've been comprehensively underwhelmed by almost every Naniwa I've ever used. Though probably doesn't count as a 'let down' any more - my expectations for them are quite low now.

The Shapton Pro 1500 is pants. Reminds me of a Chosera.

I only have one old Norton Soft Ark but it's not very good.

The JNS Red Aoto I had wasn't even that.

Most jnats are far slower than people like to say they are.

(This is my kind of thread! I'll think up some more... 😈😈😈)

proxy.php

All the stones that @cotedupy likes suck. I don’t even know what they are but they all chipped and damaged my razors, knives, and personal relationships.

The Sigma Power Select II 6K was a let down. It is an excellent 3K stone. I got so mad, I gave it away.

Shapton Pro 12K, similarly, was a let down. Shapton just makes up grit ratings and their 12K more closely aligns with other brands 7K. Word to the wise, follow their particle size and you’ll be good.

Probably fake “Maruka” Nakayama Asagi.
Bought it like this:
0DFA25BC-2C93-4CB8-A0D1-37A02EA94AD5.jpeg

It was off the auctions sooooooo play at your own risk. The “blue” stamp came off when I was scrubbing it in prep for sealing. The fine cracks I thought were at surface level extended much deeper than I expected - and I violated my own personal rule about not buying stones with cracks - so I did the only logical thing and bought a diamond grinding cup and ground the top 10mm off the stone so where no cracks were impacting the surface.
This was the result:
3CF54328-C337-4B44-A0F0-A13DC4CB1E86.jpeg

If you can tell, I sticker-tuned it because I’m butthurt. Might as well roll with it. On the up side it did turn out to be an excellent JNAT. SG of 2.72, denser and finer than my Ozuku and real Maruka Nakayama. Not a bad buy but it still eats at me a bit.

The most beautiful Shobu ever, it started fissuring out of control after I started to lap it. Lines running everywhere, like ice cracking on a pond. Before, the top looked like a top level picture jasper, after it was like a spider web landed on it and not in a cool way. So sad. Was devastating.
Heirloom quality stone became a useless mess inside of a minute.

After looking at the similar straight razor post thought I would make one for stones. I have had a couple stones that were let downs. My first jnat had great finishing but a crack in the center of the stone finished it off.

Another stone that was a let down for me was my first vintage coticule. The blue side was finer than the yellow but I just could not get the stone to work for me. Even sent it out to a friend who agreed it was a midrange stone. Below is a photo of that coticule which from the photo actually looks like a sweet one, wish I tried oil on it! Should have kept it for progression but I'm sure it funded another learning experience.View attachment 1569132

@cotedupy is right on target, Christian. The rock he is talking about is in this thread. @ables and Cotedupy adjusted my attitude about the rock. It didn't fit my expectation that all coticules are awesome finishers. The only way I could get either side of the stone under control was to rub it on a couple of washitas under constant running water. That was a game-changer.

I was recently stunned to find out how good the blue side is now. I can apply pressure for bevel setting and it is very fast. I gradually back off on the pressure through more laps and the refinement people appreciate from BBW develops. The whole process takes place under constant running water. My best guess is that it is topping out in the 6-7 k range. I'm happy about that.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but the visual simularities between your BBW layer and mine are very surprising to me.

I guess the biggest let-down for me was a Zulu Grey stone that I bought from the known South African seller who had announced a cut-rate clearance sale, saying the stones would be shipped in four months time. Well, I ordered the stone, and it never shipped, let alone arrived, and when I contacted my credit card company to complain about it four months later, they told me that nothing could be done as the 90-day legal time limit had expired.

That, to me, was the worst. Not only did I not get to try the stone, I never received it and lost something like a hundred bucks! I was not alone at the time. Buyer beware.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Every waterstone I have ever used. I sharpen carving tools. Curved edge, small surface area against the stone. Probably enough said for those that understand sharpening. I gave waterstones the heave ho long ago.

Got couple stones that were let downs.

First one is a selected grade coticule. It was my first coticule and never had a decent edge off of it. I was about to give up on Cotis until I tried a small bout that worked wonderfully.

C12k. Wanted to like it. It felt dense and hard, and the feedback was decent but never got any improvement on the edge.

Black slate from Maine. Experimental stone that I lapped for testing. It would dull the edge every time even though the feedback on the stone was fantastic.

Top Bottom