What's new

Starting up...

Plan on going to local tobacconist and starting a new hobby. I love to shave, write with fountain pens, sip good booze, listen to vinyl and read 20 minutes once or twice a day from an actual book:) I feel I am a keeper of traditions. I like to relax and keep my pace slow and steady. I purchased my brown leaf badge this morning. Back to the first sentence, nearby we have a fine shop called Riegels, been around for a long time. Riegels in Fort Wayne, Indiana, it’s worth a google. I plan on going there and getting a set up, they have a bunch of guys sitting around smoking and I hope to join them for my first pipe and some tips. Also looking for the same from my friends here at B&B. So without further ado, please share any tips tricks, or lessons you may have! All input is always appreciated!!!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Tips and tricks? Be patient. It takes time and experience to get things going good. There's several bits of advice in the Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf stickie. It's good that you'll have people to smoke with in real life that can see what you are doing and give you some guidance.

Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on the Gentleman's Guide. More sources on pipe smoking include Smokingpipes.com glossary section, Tobacco Reviews and Pipedia. Various YouTube vids as well. Welcome to the wallet shrinking obsession!

Screenshot_20181230-130231_Google.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Pipe smoking is a black art! When the planets align, you figure out your perfect Tobacco moisture and a favorite packing technique you will have begun your journey.

Seriously though, you really need patience and perseverance to get past the beginner stages. I took a good 6 months until I felt I really was able to appreciate the different Tabacco flavors beyond Latakia. Then it was about a year to start to appreciate Red Va’s.

Now 18 months later I am getting close to where I can pack a pipe, light and smoke it with minimal effort

Everyone is different tho, and you may reach Pipe Nirvana on your first bowl :).

On one hand, smoking a pipe is stuffing tobacco in a block of wood with two intersecting holes, lighting it up and enjoying it. On the other it is an obsession filled with nuance and mystery. Mostly it is somewhere on a continuum in between those two; gaining proficiency takes practice and patience. The learning curve is, however, enjoyable, much like learning to use fountain pens.
Welcome to the fun!

One piece of advice: concentrate on learning to properly pack your pipe. Many common problems start with improper packing.

So I went, the wise gentleman at the store set me up. A no name European pipe, tamper, matches, balsa filters, pipe cleaners, a pamphlet on smoking and care of pipe,1oz. Private blend tobacco that smells like sugar cookies. We then had a seat on the leather couch in the store and smoked, taught me a lot. All that for less than $40. I took to the pipe like a fish to water and love it!!

8837F962-DA19-496A-8B21-006F84EA9E18.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I went, the wise gentleman at the store set me up. A no name European pipe, tamper, matches, balsa filters, pipe cleaners, a pamphlet on smoking and care of pipe,1oz. Private blend tobacco that smells like sugar cookies. We then had a seat on the leather couch in the store and smoked, taught me a lot. All that for less than $40.View attachment 940516

That’s great! Wish I had a store like that here.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just out of curiosity what was his preferred method to pack your pipe?

He pinched some and dropped it in, used a tamper. Did it three times. Lit it and tamped again gently. His pipe was similar to the one I bought but bent stem. For mine he told me to take one big pinch and tamp it, less than half a bowl. His advice was to only smoke half a bowl 5 or 6 times to get some build up on the sides. He told me to never jam my finger in the bowl, probably his preference, but he’s about 80 years or older so I will follow his advice.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think for the first 3 months of my return to pipes I sabotaged myself by tamping way too firmly.

I watched him closely, everything he did was deliberate, gentle and unhurried. His packing. His slow lighting with the match. He didn’t even seem to be smoking, just holding the pipe in his mouth. I copied him at the store and today at home. Very smooth, enjoyable, contemplative and sublime. I plan on doing that twice a day. It reminds me of my morning shave, only I can sit and read or just watch the swirling smoke.

Oh and another piece of advice he gave: “Don’t get your advice from the Internet, pick up the phone and call me or come in, I will help you” lol

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Oh and another piece of advice he gave: “Don’t get your advice from the Internet, pick up the phone and call me or come in, I will help you” lol

There really is no substitute for being able to ask questions, watch someone, and have a pipe mentor. Really shortens the learning curve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best threads I have seen in a while. You have just entered into a new world to explore. You are going to have a blast. There are so many tobaccos to try, pipe shapes and manufacturers/carvers to investigate. The fact that the guy at the store is taking you under his wing is invaluable. Be sure to take him up on it. But remember to smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Just because I say this or that tobacco is awesome doesn't mean you are going to like it too. If you don't like a tobacco, trade it, sell it, ditch it, and move on.

One thing is for certain. There will be pipes that don't work for you and ones that will become priceless. One of my best smokers is a cheap basket pipe that isn't worth two plug nickels. I wouldn't trade that pipe for the world. Purchase price doesn't guarantee that it will smoke well.

Had another enjoyable smoke this morning. 20 minute shave, 20 minute pipe. My family goes off to work and school before I have to. That gives me about 1 hour to myself per most days. I thoroughly enjoyed my pipe this morning. The tobacco the gent gave me was described as middle of the road for flavor. He said to try that and see if I wanted more mild or stronger flavor. The store is local and has 3 locations, and each has a nice area to sit and smoke. If I can get there at some peak times, I’m sure there will be other gentlemen smoking pipes, that I can watch and learn from. I’m going to stick with the setup he gave me, as he said I could get more pipes, but with the instructions on care he gave me and my plan to smoke twice a day, morning and evening. The pipe I purchased will last a lifetime. I may get a corn cob pipe to allow my briar to rest. Also might pick up some drugstore tobacco, just as reference. Good day gents!

For drug store tobacco, get some Carter Hall. Comes in a pouch or tub.

A nice blend of Virginia and Burley tobacco. Mild and flavorful. One light and smoke it to the bottom of the bowl. After 45 years of smoking a pipe, I still always have a tub around.

Probably one of the most popular tobaccos ever. Perfect for breaking in a pipe.

Top Bottom