What's new

New wet shaver

Hi all, new guy here from Surf City, NC.

I've been a cartridge shaver since I first started shaving around 20 years ago. I don't know when I first learned about wet shaving but I've been intrigued about getting a safety razor for many years but never took the plunge for various reasons. I recently got the bug again and decided now was the time to treat myself.

I've ordered a Rockwell 6S kit that includes 100 blades and their synthetic brush and shaving cream. I've also ordered a sample pack of TOBS creams from WCS and around 35 different blade tucks (what a fun rabbit hole!). I plan to just use the Rockwell blades and cream for the first few weeks to not introduce too many variables while I'm working through the initial learning curve.

Eventually I'll probably venture out to trying different soaps as well, Stirling has my eye, but I though creams might be a better start as we have pretty hard water and seems the creams will lather a little easier. I got a scuttle to start; I thought it was more interesting than a plain bowl or mug ha.

I look forward to reading through posts here preparing for my first shave but would love any tips or wisdom you're willing to share! Thanks.

Welcome to the group.
When starting it's best not to change a lot with every shave. Stick with the same equipment and soap for 4 or 5 shaves unless it's causing you lots of problems. Then when you change something only change one thing.

The razor you picked is a great one to start with. I'd recommend starting at the 3 plate for a few shaves then go to the 4 plate. After some time and experience, you can climb the ladder. I find the 6 plate is perfect for me but I've been shaving for many decades. A lot of guys find the 5 plate the sweet spot.

You have a long road ahead of you with all those blades. I recommend Nacet but everyone is different. Soaps are something you just have to learn. I stick with the triple-milled soaps of top quality. But they cost more. But last longer. Some like the low-cost soaps. It takes a long time to really understand soaps when it comes to protection, slickness, and skin conditioning. Yep, shave soap can be more than foamy lather.

Join in and ask questions and we will be happy to help you along this long road.

Welcome! You've acquired some excellent gear. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider starting with a different blade than those Rockwell blades. An Astra SP is a good one IMHO, or even a Derby Extra to start with. Without knowing how thick or coarse your beard is I'd start with plate 2 or 3 on your 6S.

Just remember to start off slowly, and always use a light touch and let the razor do the work. And mapping your beard so you know which direction is with, across, or against the grain is essential to achieving a superior shave.

The razor you picked is a great one to start with. I'd recommend starting at the 3 plate for a few shaves then go to the 4 plate. After some time and experience, you can climb the ladder. I find the 6 plate is perfect for me but I've been shaving for many decades. A lot of guys find the 5 plate the sweet spot.

You have a long road ahead of you with all those blades. I recommend Nacet but everyone is different. Soaps are something you just have to learn. I stick with the triple-milled soaps of top quality. But they cost more. But last longer. Some like the low-cost soaps. It takes a long time to really understand soaps when it comes to protection, slickness, and skin conditioning. Yep, shave soap can be more than foamy lather.
Thanks for the welcome! I will do as you suggest with starting at the 3 plate and slowly working my way up.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever use all of those blades ha. Went a bit overboard but found it interesting how diverse people's favorites are. I thought it would be fun to have a little collection of tucks - as far as hobbies go that one is fairly inexpensive and doesn't demand much space.

Any specific brands of triple-milled soaps you would recommend?

Welcome! You've acquired some excellent gear. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider starting with a different blade than those Rockwell blades. An Astra SP is a good one IMHO, or even a Derby Extra to start with. Without knowing how thick or coarse your beard is I'd start with plate 2 or 3 on your 6S.

Just remember to start off slowly, and always use a light touch and let the razor do the work. And mapping your beard so you know which direction is with, across, or against the grain is essential to achieving a superior shave.
I ordered a few tucks of the Astra SPs and Nacets just based off of the number of recommendations I've seen so can easily start with those. In my research I haven't really seen the Rockwell blades mentioned much; not sure if they're not widely known/used or just not that good. Either way they came with the kit so no loss.

It's tough to gauge but I'd say my beard is average thickness and average to slightly above in coarseness. I usually shave every 2-3 days and was planning to start with the 3 plate in the 6S. Thanks!

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are off to a fine start.
Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, sounds like you're "all in" with wet shaving tools. As a noob, I've done the same thing until taking a time out (as recommended by many here) to concentrate on technique. That's perhaps the very best advice I have received, to concentrate on the "hows" rather than the "whats."

Welcome!

Wow, sounds like you're "all in" with wet shaving tools. As a noob, I've done the same thing until taking a time out (as recommended by many here) to concentrate on technique. That's perhaps the very best advice I have received, to concentrate on the "hows" rather than the "whats."

Welcome!
Dang it. Outside of the insanely overkill blade sample collecting I thought I had done pretty good at not going overboard ha. With the creams I figured a sample pack of TOBS was better than blind buying a tub not knowing if I liked the scent.

I do plan to stick with a single blade and cream for the first few weeks while dialing in technique and will probably experiment with the different creams before branching out with blades too.

Any other specific tips you would've found helpful starting out? Thanks for the welcome!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B. Looks like you are off to a good start. I don't think that this will be a problem for you but you should be forewarned:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Dang it. Outside of the insanely overkill blade sample collecting I thought I had done pretty good at not going overboard ha. With the creams I figured a sample pack of TOBS was better than blind buying a tub not knowing if I liked the scent.

I do plan to stick with a single blade and cream for the first few weeks while dialing in technique and will probably experiment with the different creams before branching out with blades too.

Any other specific tips you would've found helpful starting out? Thanks for the welcome!
Welcome to B&B!!! I see no overkill here. The 6c is a great razor to start with (heck, it could be all you ever need). It gives you the ability to play around with different blade gaps to find your "sweet spot". Spot on advice with starting on #3, but you could go lower out of the gate if your anxious. Enjoy the experience and share your results with us!

Thanks for the welcomes!

While I'm still (im)patiently waiting for the 6S to arrive I ordered some Stirling sample pucks of Island Man, Haverford, and Gatlinburg. Also picked up one of their synthetic 2-band brushes as it's inexpensive and seems well regarded. The Rockwell brush in the kit is a 20mm knot and from further reading seems the recommendation is to start with a 24mm which is what the Stirling is.

Top Bottom