What's new

New wet shaver

So I moved up to the R5 plate yesterday and Wow! This has me thinking; could a more aggressive razor be the answer for sensitive skin?

I wouldn't say I have overly sensitive skin but I do experience irritation from ATG passes and touch up. With the more mild plates (R3 and R4) I was not able to get a close enough shave without them. But with the R5 I achieved DFS results with just two passes (WTG and XTG) and very minor touch up under my nose and the corners of my mouth.

It seems I have avoided the majority of the irritation I normally get with a 3+ pass shave. I don't have to shave everyday but I enjoy it and want to and this would make it much easier to do.

Just curious others thoughts or experience with this concept?

So I moved up to the R5 plate yesterday and Wow! This has me thinking; could a more aggressive razor be the answer for sensitive skin?

I wouldn't say I have overly sensitive skin but I do experience irritation from ATG passes and touch up. With the more mild plates (R3 and R4) I was not able to get a close enough shave without them. But with the R5 I achieved DFS results with just two passes (WTG and XTG) and very minor touch up under my nose and the corners of my mouth.

It seems I have avoided the majority of the irritation I normally get with a 3+ pass shave. I don't have to shave everyday but I enjoy it and want to and this would make it much easier to do.

Just curious others thoughts or experience with this concept?
I might say it with a slight adjustment: I believe a higher efficiency (vs aggressive) razor can be the answer for sensitive skin assuming it is backed with the skill to manage the particular razor. At one point in my shaving history, I was trapped in a doom spiral of milder razors as an answer for "sensitive skin." I put that in quotes as I think sensitive skin is attributed to a number of factors including less developed technique, shaving prep, lather building, etc. I am now focused on higher efficiency razors with increasingly improved outcomes. I happen to have this same discussion with a leading artisan razor maker who also saw the same situation with many of their customers.

I might say it with a slight adjustment: I believe a higher efficiency (vs aggressive) razor can be the answer for sensitive skin assuming it is backed with the skill to manage the particular razor. At one point in my shaving history, I was trapped in a doom spiral of milder razors as an answer for "sensitive skin." I put that in quotes as I think sensitive skin is attributed to a number of factors including less developed technique, shaving prep, lather building, etc. I am now focused on higher efficiency razors with increasingly improved outcomes. I happen to have this same discussion with a leading artisan razor maker who also saw the same situation with many of their customers.

Thanks! Yes, efficiency is probably the right word to use instead of aggressive; I'm still learning the lingo ha. I guess the highly efficient razors that aren't too aggressive are the unicorns that everyone is chasing. I'm curious if you would share which artisan maker you've had this conversation with?

Thanks! Yes, efficiency is probably the right word to use instead of aggressive; I'm still learning the lingo ha. I guess the highly efficient razors that aren't too aggressive are the unicorns that everyone is chasing. I'm curious if you would share which artisan maker you've had this conversation with?
There is seemingly a cornucopia of lingo in shaving :) I think many are seeking high efficiency and smoothness, with an implied lower aggression profile. The artisan maker I was referring to is Shane Swartzlander, founder of Blackland. Blackland is a brand I would certainly recommend considering as you move through your shaving journey.

There is seemingly a cornucopia of lingo in shaving :) I think many are seeking high efficiency and smoothness, with an implied lower aggression profile. The artisan maker I was referring to is Shane Swartzlander, founder of Blackland. Blackland is a brand I would certainly recommend considering as you move through your shaving journey.

I have looked into Blackland and the Blackbird is an awesome looking razor; helps that I've always been fascinated by the SR-71. I want to get a "high-end" razor in the near future; the 3 I was leaning towards are Wolfman WR2, Timeless 95, and the Blackbird. From reading it seemed like the Blackbird while very efficient was much higher up the aggression scale than the other two. Would you agree with that?

I have looked into Blackland and the Blackbird is an awesome looking razor; helps that I've always been fascinated by the SR-71. I want to get a "high-end" razor in the near future; the 3 I was leaning towards are Wolfman WR2, Timeless 95, and the Blackbird. From reading it seemed like the Blackbird while very efficient was much higher up the aggression scale than the other two. Would you agree with that?
Those are all nice options. I can't directly comment on the relative Blackbird aggression as I don't own any of the razors you listed. But through my own research and a recent thread looking towards my next razor purchase (Next razor decision tree: Blackbird, Yates 921 H, Lupo 95 OC, or …? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/next-razor-decision-tree-blackbird-yates-921-h-lupo-95-oc-or.627462/ ) , I see mixed reviews on perception of aggression of the Blackbird. It seems many are suggesting the Ti version smooths out some of that over the SS version. My next planned purchase is the Ti Blackbird, so I will hopefully find out once they are back in stock.

While I dont have the Timeless 95, I did just acquire the Lupo 95 OC. Many have suggested those are comparable options. If you are considering a Timeless 95 you may want to look at the Lupo 95 as well. I have a review of the Lupo in the thread link above.

Also, if you don't see any existing thread comparing your three razor options, I would suggest starting a thread asking for input and comparison on them. I believe a number of forum members would be able to comment on them with direct experience using each one.

Those are all nice options. I can't directly comment on the relative Blackbird aggression as I don't own any of the razors you listed. But through my own research and a recent thread looking towards my next razor purchase (Next razor decision tree: Blackbird, Yates 921 H, Lupo 95 OC, or …? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/next-razor-decision-tree-blackbird-yates-921-h-lupo-95-oc-or.627462/ ) , I see mixed reviews on perception of aggression of the Blackbird. It seems many are suggesting the Ti version smooths out some of that over the SS version. My next planned purchase is the Ti Blackbird, so I will hopefully find out once they are back in stock.

While I dont have the Timeless 95, I did just acquire the Lupo 95 OC. Many have suggested those are comparable options. If you are considering a Timeless 95 you may want to look at the Lupo 95 as well. I have a review of the Lupo in the thread link above.

Also, if you don't see any existing thread comparing your three razor options, I would suggest starting a thread asking for input and comparison on them. I believe a number of forum members would be able to comment on them with direct experience using each one.

Wow; okay you have me really intrigued with the Lupo 95 OC. The reviews on it are incredible and it would give me an opportunity to test that end of the pool relatively inexpensively before jumping in with a $3-500+ razor. Do you have any issues shaving with it multiple days in a row?

Wow; okay you have me really intrigued with the Lupo 95 OC. The reviews on it are incredible and it would give me an opportunity to test that end of the pool relatively inexpensively before jumping in with a $3-500+ razor. Do you have any issues shaving with it multiple days in a row?
I can't definitively say at the moment, as I just completed shave #2 earlier. But so far it is not an issue. The area I have to monitor is cumulative fatigue in the lower neckline. So I am going to need a couple of more back to back shaves to see. I also tried a different blade and lather today resulting in a modest decrease in smoothness and effectiveness. So always a few variables to consider along the way.

I can't definitively say at the moment, as I just completed shave #2 earlier. But so far it is not an issue. The area I have to monitor is cumulative fatigue in the lower neckline. So I am going to need a couple of more back to back shaves to see. I also tried a different blade and lather today resulting in a modest decrease in smoothness and effectiveness. So always a few variables to consider along the way.

I will be watching for further reports as you get more experience with it. I'm participating in the August GRUME so not in any rush but this one may be tracking for a September 1st order ha.

I tried the R6 plate last night. It had noticeably more blade feel but didn't seem to be any more efficient than R5 for me. I did get one weeper on my neck from a too long and careless pass. So for now seems R5 might be my sweet spot for the 6S as it's both incredibly efficient and smooth. Where this will lead me... who knows ha.

In other news; the Nacet continues to perform amazingly for me.

Top Bottom