What's new

Starting a running journey

Hey everyone -

Figure a few of you must be runners, so hoping for some guidance.

I have NEVER been a runner. Or jogger. I’ve been lifting weights for 15+ years, at times competitively (powerlifting), but now that competitive days are likely behind me, I would like to take up running. Not for weight loss or anything. Just health and the sort of zen experience of escaping screens, etc. No racing goals either.

I’ve found some basic walk-run programs from the likes of Runner’s World. So, two questions:

1. Something like that a good way to start? The walk-run program?

2. Freaking shoes! I’m a big dude (> 200lbs) and carry quite a bit of muscle. Fair amount of fat as well, as I’m not THAT jacked, but still. I seem to run across a few suggestions: Brooks Ghost and a couple different shoes from Asics (Novoblast and Gel - Cumulus). Does it matter at my level?

For background, it seems (from various tests shoe company’s have online) I’m a neutral runner, relatively low arches, no issues with overpronation/underpronation, no lower body niggles or weaknesses of note and tend to strike more toward the front of my foot. I tend to think I should get something highly-cushioned and supportive because of my overall size and lack of experience with running, but can be swayed.

Thanks for reading this far!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Far be it from me to offer exercise advice, but bicycling is much easier on your back, knees and hips. Just a thought.

I’m older than you so that’s one reason I think that way. We’re doing a lot of walking here and I can feel the difference in those places vs. biking and the Concept2 rower.

Far be it from me to offer exercise advice, but bicycling is much easier on your back, knees and hips. Just a thought.

I’m older than you so that’s one reason I think that way. We’re doing a lot of walking here and I can feel the difference in those places vs. biking and the Concept2 rower.
Oh, I agree with you completely. The unfortunate, and rather comedic, reality is that I never learned how to ride a bike at all. Long story.

I no longer run, although I have thought about it from time to time. Shoes are, in my opinion, the most important thing in running. I am down right cheap, but not when it comes to running shoes. Make sure you get ones that fit properly and give good support. Change them by the time you have put 500 miles on them, typically 4 - 6 months when I was running, even if they look brand new. I used to run in ASICS, but there are many good brands. You can drown in all the information on which shoe is best.

Good luck on your journey -- I would never tell anyone to not embark on an exercise program, it's probably one of the best things you can do for yourself and your loved ones. Unlike lifting, running (for me) was way different--like lifting, recommend taking it slow, give your body plenty of time to recover between workouts (with running every day is leg day), good shoes, and mix in other lower impact exercises like walking, swimming or biking (please learn, biking is my happy place) if you can. Walking at a slower pace, and for a longer time will burn as much or more calories as running without putting as many miles on your body. Personally, on active duty at my lightest (6' 180lbs and hovered around 205 for my career) running was a necessary evil and not a choice as I'm not a natural, fluid runner and it took a toll on my back (felt like the vertebrates were loose and knocking around). At 40, during my annual PT test, I blew my L4, had surgery and was just happy to be able to walk again (albeit w/residual nerve damage, and on doctor's orders I haven't run or lifted since (squats used to be my thing), much less wrestled with my kids. Admittedly, I am not you, and running might be your thing and life-changing; try it, but keep your options open, take it slow and listen to your body (just like lifting). None of us are getting any younger and pushing through only works for sappy sports movies; listen to your body.

I run about 22 miles a week and my wife does marathons every year. I think your walk run start is a good way to go into it. You should go to a running store for the shoes. They will film you on a treadmill with different shoes for you to try and see what would work best. a lot of people I see out running are wearing Hokas but shoes I'm afraid are like razors, and there are opinions galore about what is best. Being a bigger guy I would imagine you will want some cush under those feet if you are going to be running on hard surfaces.
I myself am 56 years old, 5'10" and about 160lbs with a body that looks like it was built by an office cubicle :)

I run about 22 miles a week and my wife does marathons every year. I think your walk run start is a good way to go into it. You should go to a running store for the shoes. They will film you on a treadmill with different shoes for you to try and see what would work best. a lot of people I see out running are wearing Hokas but shoes I'm afraid are like razors, and there are opinions galore about what is best. Being a bigger guy I would imagine you will want some cush under those feet if you are going to be running on hard surfaces.
I myself am 56 years old, 5'10" and about 160lbs with a body that looks like it was built by an office cubicle :)
Thanks. I’m 5’8” when it’s sunny outside :). Powerlifting, by its very nature, rewards lower body power, so I have short and big (relative) legs.

Is Fleet Feet (Google provided) a decent joint? Not sure what a “good” running store is. I’m about 20m from Seattle, so assume anything good would be there and not the suburbs where I am.

Good luck on your journey -- I would never tell anyone to not embark on an exercise program, it's probably one of the best things you can do for yourself and your loved ones. Unlike lifting, running (for me) was way different--like lifting, recommend taking it slow, give your body plenty of time to recover between workouts (with running every day is leg day), good shoes, and mix in other lower impact exercises like walking, swimming or biking (please learn, biking is my happy place) if you can. Walking at a slower pace, and for a longer time will burn as much or more calories as running without putting as many miles on your body. Personally, on active duty at my lightest (6' 180lbs and hovered around 205 for my career) running was a necessary evil and not a choice as I'm not a natural, fluid runner and it took a toll on my back (felt like the vertebrates were loose and knocking around). At 40, during my annual PT test, I blew my L4, had surgery and was just happy to be able to walk again (albeit w/residual nerve damage, and on doctor's orders I haven't run or lifted since (squats used to be my thing), much less wrestled with my kids. Admittedly, I am not you, and running might be your thing and life-changing; try it, but keep your options open, take it slow and listen to your body (just like lifting). None of us are getting any younger and pushing through only works for sappy sports movies; listen to your body.
Learning to ride a bike is something to do. Candidly, I just don’t know where/how a middle-aged man learns these things.

Thanks. I’m 5’8” when it’s sunny outside :). Powerlifting, by its very nature, rewards lower body power, so I have short and big (relative) legs.

Is Fleet Feet (Google provided) a decent joint? Not sure what a “good” running store is. I’m about 20m from Seattle, so assume anything good would be there and not the suburbs where I am.
That looks like a good place to get the right shoes for you and how to get started. I live in Denver and there are a lot of running stores around with the big ones being Fleet Feet and Runners Roost.
Once you find what works, a lot of people just stay with the same brand and buy the new models after their shoes wear out. Because I only run for the lung capacity and not very many miles per week, I can pretty much wear any shoe.

This is what I did.

It's a couch to 5K running program. About 1/2 way down the page, if you click week1, week2, etc, you can download the mp3 file The mp3's... you just listen to, it has OK-ish music and the lady will tell you when to run, when to walk etc.

It's pretty amazing, being ~230-ish lbs, I was dead tired on the week 1, 1 minute run, 11/2 minute walk routine... now I run a 5K 2- 3 times a week. With an extended 8K=10K run once a week / every other week.

I do my runs (on a treadmill) at 5.5mph.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just recently started running again as well. When I was a slim teenager I was happy to run 12 miles over about 2.5-3 hours some evenings just as a way to get out of my parents' house and have some time to myself. Would finish the runs feeling good, no soreness or anything. Now I'm much heavier, took more than 15 years off from consistently running, and can only run about 3-4 minutes before my calves give out.

Right now I'm using an app called "10K Runner" that has a full beginner to 10K running program built in to do over 12 weeks, plus it guides me and times my run/walk intervals. I'm enjoying it. The final run on the program is a 1 hour run with no walking, which it builds up to. Once I'm there, I'm happy to just head out and run for fun like I used to.

For background, it seems (from various tests shoe company’s have online) I’m a neutral runner, relatively low arches, no issues with overpronation/underpronation, no lower body niggles or weaknesses of note and tend to strike more toward the front of my foot. I tend to think I should get something highly-cushioned and supportive because of my overall size and lack of experience with running, but can be swayed.
A good running store will set you up, but all the things you've described will probably mean that you'll be okay in a lot of different shoes. The extra bodyweight will likely be more of a factor in how long the shoes last, rather than how they perform. I say this as a guy who took somewhat of an opposite journey (was running 30 miles a week 10 years ago, started barbell training 4 years ago). I haven't been running this past year but that's a long story...point being I was using the same shoe a year and a half ago at 225 as I was 8 years ago at 175 and it was fine. But they wear out faster.

As far as training goes, I'm sure any beginner template will work. Be advised that your cardio capacity will improve faster than your joints' tolerance for running. So resist the temptation to add mileage too quickly (a lesson I had to learn the hard way more than once).

Good luck, have fun! I love running and I'm hoping I can make it fit in my life again.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Bravo to you! I run about 10-12 miles a week with a goal of logging 500 miles each year, which I've done for the past several. I think it's one of the best things a guy can do. I'm about 190 lbs and have worn the Brooks Ghost and Launch and like them both. I typically change my shoes every 6 months and run consistently throughout the year. Lots of good advice from previous posters. Definitely support your local running store and resist the temptation to purchase gear on line. Also I find that running first thing when I get up in the morning works best for me. Because I'm way too tired after work and on days off if I don't do it early I will find every excuse in the world not to. Also resist the temptation to listen to something on headphones while running. Enjoy the sounds of nature around you (and approaching dogs and cars) Finally, try and find some nice greenways or parks or a neighborhood that doesn't have much traffic. Oh, and setting a goal of completing a race is a good way to stay motivated. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, all! I started my walk-to-run type thing and it's goin well. Though I don't historically do much cardiovascular work, I think being under the bar for so many years makes me start ahead of someone who hasn't exercised before. Very eager to get moving with some pace. Interesting that you mention the Ghost, @JWCowboy, as I just got those as a gift when my wife heard I wanted to start writing. Guessing she Googled "beginner shoes" or something. And since we live outside Seattle, there may have been a little homerism on her part.

I think I am going to skip week two, which is basically a repeat of week one. Instead, the workouts for this week will be mostly comprised of 1 min jog, 3 min walk cycles.

I took up trail running at 47, that was 3 years ago. I had never run before that, but did cycle a lot. I have no desire to run in streets or pavement.

My advise, just get out and do it. Walk run is a great way to start. I also did springs, so jog a while and then run for 100m as fast as you can. Do that a few times over the course of your run. Your stamina will slowly improve and you will enjoy it more and recover faster. My first few runs, I couldn't bend down or lightly jog for 3-4 days after. Now I can easily run 4-5 days in a row, doing 5k each day. Any amount of running or walking is good. Keep your phone and smart watch at home, enjoy the run and being outdoors.

The switch from cycle to run, was to accommodate our new dog, as the dog park wasn't working out with all the COVID dog owners who spend the entire time looking at their phone instead of watching their dog.

Now we trail run 4-5 times a week or more, depending on time and weather.

I started out with the run, walk, run walk. Slowly working up to jogging the full run, with the odd dog pee or sniff break.

On a good day, if I time my run, I'm at 29-30min for a 5k. I'm hoping to get a 28min this summer. We run all year, including winter, so long as it is about -15 or warmer. I have stopped timing my runs and just run for fun.

A few pics from our.adventures. I'm lucky to live within walking distance to one of North America's largest urban forest, full of trails and wildlife. Martha, our rescue dog, is a runner. I can't put on my shoes or any running gear, without her going bonkers. I have never run without her. She has a harness and lead attached to me when we run. She's the best motivation I could ask for.

I use Altra shoes. They are wide and designed for trail running.

My view from stretching:
PXL_20210510_155942967.jpg

Post mud run:
PXL_20210417_184911154.jpg

PXL_20230410_163059345.jpg

Spring run:
PXL_20230410_163112970.jpg

Camping run with extended lead leash:
PXL_20210714_174517061.jpg

PXL_20210714_185129032.jpg

Last edited:
I took up trail running at 47, that was 3 years ago. I had never run before that, but did cycle a lot. I have no desire to run in streets or pavement.

My advise, just get out and do it. Walk run is a great way to start. I also did springs, so jog a while and then run for 100m as fast as you can. Do that a few times over the course of your run. Your stamina will slowly improve and you will enjoy it more and recover faster. My first few runs, I couldn't bend down or lightly jog for 3-4 days after. Now I can easily run 4-5 days in a row, doing 5k each day. Any amount of running or walking is good. Keep your phone and smart watch at home, enjoy the run and being outdoors.

The switch from cycle to run, was to accommodate our new dog, as the dog park wasn't working out with all the COVID dog owners who spend the entire time looking at their phone instead of watching their dog.

Now we trail run 4-5 times a week or more, depending on time and weather.

I started out with the run, walk, run walk. Slowly working up to jogging the full run, with the odd dog pee or sniff break.

On a good day, if I time my run, I'm at 29-30min for a 5k. I'm hoping to get a 28min this summer. We run all year, including winter, so long as it is about -15 or warmer. I have stopped timing my runs and just run for fun.

A few pics from our.adventures. I'm lucky to live within walking distance to one of North America's largest urban forest, full of trails and wildlife. Martha, our rescue dog, is a runner. I can't put on my shoes or any running gear, without her going bonkers. I have never run without her. She has a harness and lead attached to me when we run. She's the best motivation I could ask for.

I use Altra shoes. They are wide and designed for trail running.

My view from stretching:
View attachment 1646590

Post mud run:
View attachment 1646591

View attachment 1646592

Spring run:
View attachment 1646593

Camping run with extended lead leash:
View attachment 1646594

View attachment 1646595
That’s awesome!
My dogs are too large to do that sorta work, but living north of Seattle, I’ve got access to a lot of trails as well and have thought about doing some of that as well!

How's the run journey coming along, @Elliot ?

I'm too late to offer advice on getting started, but what really worked for me was gamifying running. I got a fitness tracker watch, and I love to see graphs of stats. Mine's a Garmin, and they have badges that don't mean anything on their app, and that's good motivation for me. Pointless rewards? Thanks, I actually love it!

I hate running longer than 3 miles without music. I have a set of Bluetooth headphones that let in a lot of sound, but also let me not get bored on paved runs. I can hear electric cars coming up behind me travelling under 25mph, I can hear the clink of dog collars and nails on pavement, I can hear birds chirping. Safe enough so far!

How's the run journey coming along, @Elliot ?

I'm too late to offer advice on getting started, but what really worked for me was gamifying running. I got a fitness tracker watch, and I love to see graphs of stats. Mine's a Garmin, and they have badges that don't mean anything on their app, and that's good motivation for me. Pointless rewards? Thanks, I actually love it!

I hate running longer than 3 miles without music. I have a set of Bluetooth headphones that let in a lot of sound, but also let me not get bored on paved runs. I can hear electric cars coming up behind me travelling under 25mph, I can hear the clink of dog collars and nails on pavement, I can hear birds chirping. Safe enough so far!
Hey Jake!

Yes, so running has actually gone quite splendidly. I say that with a bit of a nagging niggle at the moment, but I have built up my endurance well and have transitioned to be much more of a runner than I am a lifter at this point. An oddity after more than 15 years under the bar.

Glad it's going well for you also! I think for me it's the escape. I work a job that doesn't typically have "slow" days and can be a bit all encompassing, especially as it relates to phone, email, etc. While one can check email between sets of lifting, respond to texts, etc., I am truly out when running -- and it's been a lovely reprieve.

Brrrr.....that was a cold trail run with the pooch.

She sure did like it though.

2*f or -17*c (feels like -27*c with the wind and ice pellets). Luckily we are covered and protected by tree and brush, for 98% of it.

Screenshot_20240120-120322~2.png

Top Bottom