What's new

Stainless RR Hawk - first impressions

Finally got mine in today. Looks really nice and good weight. Tolerances are spot on and finish is very, very good. Looking to take it for a spin tonight. Hoping I can post my thoughts here, that is if @John Clayton III would not mind. Don't want to intrude or hi-jack his thread. If not, I'll just start a new thread....
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG

Finally got mine in today. Looks really nice and good weight. Tolerances are spot on and finish is very, very good. Looking to take it for a spin tonight. Hoping I can post my thoughts here, that is if @John Clayton III would not mind. Don't want to intrude or hi-jack his thread. If not, I'll just start a new thread....
/QUOTE]

Go for it. I'm sure others would like to know what you think.

My SS Hawk arrived yesterday.

proxy.php

For some reason I was expecting it to be black, but it is actually a nice gunmetal grey. It has a nice feel in the hand and weighs in at 3.75 ounces, typical for this type of razor. Fit and finish are good, especially considering the price point. The rings on the handle provide for a secure grip as well as a distinctive look.

Head dimensions appear to be the same as the aluminum Hawk. Also like the aluminum Hawk is a standard thread on the cap screw so aftermarket handles may be used if desired.

My latest fave blade, the Schick Proline, is a snug fit on the tabs, requiring a little jiggling to get it seated, but once seated having absolutely no play even before being tightened.

My first shave produced no surprises, smooth, close and not overly aggressive - not all that different from the aluminum Hawk. Duh. The perceived aggression is slightly higher than the aluminum Hawk, but I believe that this is entirely due to the increased weight.

The stainless steel DLC Hawk is a good razor. For $60 it is an awesome razor.

proxy.php

The Hawk "family" is growing.

--Bob

My SS Hawk arrived yesterday.

proxy.php

For some reason I was expecting it to be black, but it is actually a nice gunmetal grey. It has a nice feel in the hand and weighs in at 3.75 ounces, typical for this type of razor. Fit and finish are good, especially considering the price point. The rings on the handle provide for a secure grip as well as a distinctive look.

Head dimensions appear to be the same as the aluminum Hawk. Also like the aluminum Hawk is a standard thread on the cap screw so aftermarket handles may be used if desired.

My latest fave blade, the Schick Proline, is a snug fit on the tabs, requiring a little jiggling to get it seated, but once seated having absolutely no play even before being tightened.

My first shave produced no surprises, smooth, close and not overly aggressive - not all that different from the aluminum Hawk. Duh. The perceived aggression is slightly higher than the aluminum Hawk, but I believe that this is entirely due to the increased weight.

The stainless steel DLC Hawk is a good razor. For $60 it is an awesome razor.

proxy.php

The Hawk "family" is growing.

--Bob
Nice family reunion you have going there.:001_smile

I do pretty much agree with everything you've said here concerning this version of the Hawk. I got my first shave in yesterday morning with a Feather Pro, and in my perception I did notice just a bit more of an aggressive shave as compared to the Brass General. I have neither of the other Hawk iterations in aluminum, so I can't compare to those. It is a razor towards the mild end, yet very efficient and smooth. Nicely balanced and weighted. The handle is either love/hate in my eyes. It's ok, but doesn't check the boxes for me. You are right in that it offers great grip and it definitely won't slip from your hands.....

Overall, an excellent all SS razor that shaves as good as those that cost 2-3 times as much. Going to try it out with a Proline blade for today's shave and see how it goes. Great razor, great price and a great first time shave..... I like it.:thumbup1:

I've gotten a couple more shaves in with the SS DLC Hawk with both the Feather Pro and Schick Proline. Both paired with this razor have been great shaves, but with the Proline, just as @spidey9 stated, it's a very smooth blade that gave me an excellent close shave. Very forgiving blade with not much blade feel paired with the Hawk. 2 shaves with the Proline and it's at least as good as the Pro if not better.
IMG_0888.JPG

GlazedBoker -
Have you trying the Feather Super blade with the SS Hawk?

I can say that the Feather Super is great with the SS Hawk DLC. The only razors I can use the Super with are the Colonial General Brass and the SS Hawk DLC. Very smooth shaves with both of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say that the Feather Super is great with the SS Hawk DLC. The only razors I can use the Super with are the Colonial General Brass and the SS Hawk DLC. Very smooth shaves with both of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur. Haven't used the Super in the SS Hawk, but have in the Brass General. And it is an awesome pairing. One of the best shaves I get from an SE.

Thread Revival time:

Just a quick heads up to those that have wondered if RazoRock would be releasing a SS Hawk. Rumor is, and I say that I read this on another forum recently that ItalianBarber is considering bringing back an all SS V3 Hawk in high polish with a bit more blade gap and blade exposure. This directly from RazoRock themselves, no 3rd party gossip. Not set in stone, but you know how those guys over there in IB think. Once an idea starts, they pretty much see it through. I personally would be all over a V3 in this potentially new iteration of the Hawk. Stay tuned to their social media sites as they will be announcing it through there very soon.... :ihih:

Thread Revival time:

Just a quick heads up to those that have wondered if RazoRock would be releasing a SS Hawk. Rumor is, and I say that I read this on another forum recently that ItalianBarber is considering bringing back an all SS V3 Hawk in high polish with a bit more blade gap and blade exposure. This directly from RazoRock themselves, no 3rd party gossip. Not set in stone, but you know how those guys over there in IB think. Once an idea starts, they pretty much see it through. I personally would be all over a V3 in this potentially new iteration of the Hawk. Stay tuned to their social media sites as they will be announcing it through there very soon.... :ihih:

Thank you, that is great news. As soon as they are available, i will buy one for sure.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Of course. But we need to adjust the nomenclature.

Instead of "want" and "need", we should be using terms like "demand" and "command".

For example, "I really want that $300 razor" becomes, "I demand that razor. Right now."

"I need 300 of my favorite blades" becomes, "I command that 300 of my favorite blades be delivered."

"I need a black DLC Stainless Steel Hawk" becomes, "I command its presence in my shave chamber."

It's all about attitude.

Brilliant!

Would like to see the V3 of the SS Hawk but, the SS DLC Hawk will suffice for the time being. It’s no slouch by the way with a Feather Pro installed...

69ACAB69-1431-40E3-9A5C-8E01E7B05ACC.jpeg

Top Bottom