What's new

Very impressed with Shield Predator

I've bought and sold a few GEM razors without ever having used one...something about using a "box cutter" blade in a razor terrified me.

On a whim (after seeing a post by @LRod) I purchased a Shield Predator and 100 PTFE blades from Bullgoose Shaving. I know I probably could have found the blades cheaper, but a Ti razor for 120 bucks...I could not help myself.

So, first the bad:

This isn't a Blackland razor in terms of machining. All of the matte surfaces are VERY nice, but the tricky part - the threads - not so much.

I've got a Vector in stainless steel, which may not be a fair comparison, but both razors use the same flat post to attach the handle. With the Vector if you are misaligned when screwing on the handle it stops dead, letting you know at first thread. With the Predator, the threads are not only a bit gritty, I turned the handle at least 3-4 turns before it jammed. Of course if you remove and realign the handle it screws right on, but is still a bit crunchy.

I had a Timeless Ti Crown handle, and it is MUCH smoother when installing but still more prone to misalignment than my Vecttor...and it looks great on the Predator:

Screenshot_20231005_223903_Gallery.jpg

My first use was a single WTG pass on my beard, finished with one of my DE razors. It was uneventful and seemed to shave nice. It was really just an ice-breaker to get me over my (unfounded) fear of this blade format.

My last two uses were 2-pass head shaves WTG and ATG with touchup, and I gotta say...the shaves are incredible. 🙂👍

I'm getting BBS head shaves with zero irritation, and better yet, these are autopilot shaves with no fear of drawing blood. The razor is very smooth with no tugging or resistance even ATG...I'm guessing due to the thicker, stiffer blade, similar to an AC blade.

Anyway, I use my Vector exclusively to shave my head (never used it on my beard) and thought that it was the pinnacle, but I gotta say: the Predator is right there doing it's part to dethrone the king.

I am very impressed.

I've bought and sold a few GEM razors without ever having used one...something about using a "box cutter" blade in a razor terrified me.

On a whim (after seeing a post by @LRod) I purchased a Shield Predator and 100 PTFE blades from Bullgoose Shaving. I know I probably could have found the blades cheaper, but a Ti razor for 120 bucks...I could not help myself.

So, first the bad:

This isn't a Blackland razor in terms of machining. All of the matte surfaces are VERY nice, but the tricky part - the threads - not so much.

I've got a Vector in stainless steel, which may not be a fair comparison, but both razors use the same flat post to attach the handle. With the Vector if you are misaligned when screwing on the handle it stops dead, letting you know at first thread. With the Predator, the threads are not only a bit gritty, I turned the handle at least 3-4 turns before it jammed. Of course if you remove and realign the handle it screws right on, but is still a bit crunchy.

I had a Timeless Ti Crown handle, and it is MUCH smoother when installing but still more prone to misalignment than my Vecttor...and it looks great on the Predator:

View attachment 1735249

My first use was a single WTG pass on my beard, finished with one of my DE razors. It was uneventful and seemed to shave nice. It was really just an ice-breaker to get me over my (unfounded) fear of this blade format.

My last two uses were 2-pass head shaves WTG and ATG with touchup, and I gotta say...the shaves are incredible. 🙂👍

I'm getting BBS head shaves with zero irritation, and better yet, these are autopilot shaves with no fear of drawing blood. The razor is very smooth with no tugging or resistance even ATG...I'm guessing due to the thicker, stiffer blade, similar to an AC blade.

Anyway, I use my Vector exclusively to shave my head (never used it on my beard) and thought that it was the pinnacle, but I gotta say: the Predator is right there doing it's part to dethrone the king.

I am very impressed.
This is a great razor. I got a head only direct. I got it for $41.40. Now it's $68.60. I like longer handles that's why I did the head only option. This is the only Gem type that I use. I may revisit my shovelhead in the future but it didn't go well the last time I tried it.

This is a great razor. I got a head only direct. I got it for $41.40. Now it's $68.60. I like longer handles that's why I did the head only option. This is the only Gem type that I use. I may revisit my shovelhead in the future but it didn't go well the last time I tried it.
What kind of handles work with it?

What kind of handles work with it?

Not sure of the actual thread diameter and pitch, but any "standard" handle will fit. I'm using a Timeless Ti Crown, though many others will work.

Copied from elsewhere:

"Most modern razors use M5 x 0.8 threads except for Fatip who use M4.5 x 0.75 threads. The old Gillettes used #10-32 (SAE) which has a pitch of 0.8 so close to M5 x 0.8."

So far I found these two to work:
Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Reusable-Ecofriendly-shaving-Traditional/dp/B0BXKTR9DM/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?crid=35S6MHSVJ9L89&keywords=pearl blaze razor&qid=1698605279&sprefix=pearl razor ,aps,977&sr=8-13
&
The Pearl fits outside of the head recess and the Shark fits inside. I tried a Muhle R41 GS and all WSC handles and they don't work.

Of course this ^^^^........is a better answer. 🙂

I just verified that these will work:

Razorock: barber pole, HD, UFO, halo UFO
Above the Tie: Windsor
Timeless: Crown
Gillette: Tech fat handle and ball end

There is a recess cut into the underside of the base plate which measures ~8mm, so the end of the handle will need to be of a smaller diameter. Not sure if it will fit a handle with a diameter of 8mm.

Of course this ^^^^........is a better answer. 🙂

I just verified that these will work:

Razorock: barber pole, HD, UFO, halo UFO
Above the Tie: Windsor
Timeless: Crown
Gillette: Tech fat handle and ball end

There is a recess cut into the underside of the base plate which measures ~8mm, so the end of the handle will need to be of a smaller diameter. Not sure if it will fit a handle with a diameter of 8mm.
This is good. We could get a compatibility list. I have a Yaqi, iKon, and a Cadet I've yet to test it on. Maybe it won't be an issue if a V2 is released. I have the half DE and the AC2 Shield razor heads with no compatibility issues.

This is good. We could get a compatibility list. I have a Yaqi, iKon, and a Cadet I've yet to test it on. Maybe it won't be an issue if a V2 is released. I have the half DE and the AC2 Shield razor heads with no compatibility issues.
Cadet SS-01 No
Yaqi Monster Yes
iKon Bulldog No

I love the Shield and tried a Shovelhead for the first time this week. Loved it too!

I need to retry my Shovelhead. I think I had a bad blade the first go.
Best GEM razors I've tried so far are the Shield, GEM Junior and the Shovelhead. All 3 feel similar (the Shield has the most blade feel) and of course has better clamping since it's CNC machined. And it's got a smaller head! But the other two have been very smooth shavers as well.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Shield unfortunately doesn't/didn't ship directly to Germany from AliExpress, so if I get a shield razor, it's only possible over the Boti brush store so far, and they don't have shield razors in offer there anymore.

I am very much taken by the Romulus though, that's Yaqi's take on the Vector.

So GPJoe recommended I try this GEM out for head shaving and I'm very interested in trying it. I've spoken to the guy over at AliExpress and he's helped me out with what is what. Really cool guy. I am going to look at maybe buying it direct from AliExpress as that would be the cheaper option for me. I kind of wanted to wait and make sure my first order from AliExpress arrives first as I've never ordered from there before until I did an order last week.

They seem to have a coated version, but I assume it would be better to get the sandblasted version and a handle to go with it? I didn't realize Shield also have an SE and AC head too. How do those compare?

Not sure if I am allowed to post links here :

They also have a package deal with a black coated handle, razor and stand which looks good. Not sure how good that Cerakote coating is and how durable it is?

Top Bottom