What's new

Spirit of the Month - March 2009 - Jameson's Irish Whiskey

So what is this small bottle of Jameson that I bought? And will a Jameson 12 be much different?

eta: I bought this at Specs, a large liquor store found throughout Texas, not Trader Joe's.

proxy.php

Last edited:
So what is this small bottle of Jameson that I bought? And will a Jameson 12 be much different?

The standard label and the 12 year are very different beasts. The standard is, IMO, much more of a rocks whisky. The 12 is much more refined and if you like sherry you will most likely really enjoy this one.

I've found the 12 very likable, much moreso than the standard Jamison, and I'd echo Tim's feelings about the sherry. Definitely a richer and rounder flavor.

So I read this thread last evening and stopped on my way home from work and picked up a small bottle of the Jameson's.

I think I have found my spirit.

I have truly enjoyed the scotch whiskeys I have tried over the last year, but the Jameson's is an excellent whiskey.

Next up is saving money from my paper route for a bottle of Red Breast.

Barry

Amen on the Jepson Brandy!

Richard

Yeah, I remember first trying it years and years ago when I picked up a bottle at John Walker on Sutter in SF (where it definitely cost more than $20!) - Jepson and Germain-Robin were pretty much the very first non-crappy CA brandies... there was another one (Carneros Alambic, I think?) that was nice as well. All of them a much better deal than your average Hennessey/Remy/etc. IMHO...

I remedied the Jameson situation, then saw that Spec's had Glenlivet 12yr on sale for almost $10/off, plus I tried some Eagle Rare at my dad's house last night and was impressed, so I got some of that as well.

proxy.php

I tried my first Jameson's & gingerale and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it much more than a coke and whiskey.

I do truly enjoy my Jameson Irish Whiskey and have been drinking it for years.....It is all I use when I make Manhattans.
But my go to Irish Whiskey for rocks is Redbreast Irish Whiskey!

That's because anything on Earth is more enjoyable than coke and whiskey. :wink:

Fair enough. I really don't care for whiskey and coke much (so maybe praising the Jameson's and ginger wasn't much of a compliment). I think cognac mixes much better with coke.

is there a "preferred" way to drink irish whisky (like the scotch guys do with just a splash of cold water),

Scotch? splash of cold water? Please explain.

I am a scotch fiend. I can't stand it when people add coke or some other liquid to it besides soda or ice.

Scotch? splash of cold water? Please explain.

I am a scotch fiend. I can't stand it when people add coke or some other liquid to it besides soda or ice.

In Scotland people often add some water to Scotch to dilute it to bring out the aroma and it also allegedly brings out more flavor. Personally I don't find that it brings out any more flavor. I always like mine neat.

jemmy's a fine whisky, i also like johnny walker black. you gotta drink em neat, however the crushed ice sounds interesting.

Top Bottom