What's new

Spirit of the Month - March 2009 - Jameson's Irish Whiskey

I picked up a small bottle of Jameson today. Make Powers next month's pick so I have an excuse to try some of that as well. :wink:

I picked up a bottle at Trader Joe's. It was $22 for a litre, but I can’t spot the number of years that the whiskey as aged. And no, I haven't drunk that much :biggrin: Does TJ's package it in a different bottle?

I may not know how old it is. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed what I have sampled so far.

I picked up a bottle at Trader Joe's. It was $22 for a litre, but I can’t spot the number of years that the whiskey as aged. And no, I haven't drunk that much :biggrin: Does TJ's package it in a different bottle?

I may not know how old it is. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed what I have sampled so far.

Its a blend of different aged casks... I believe some as old as 12yrs but the composition will change slightly from year to year for consistency of flavor.

This comes up all the time, the whiskies sold at Trader Joe's are not the same as you will get at the liquor stores. They are from casks deemed inferior that what goes into the product and instead of being sold into lesser blends they are kept together and sold as a more top shelf blend or a single malt, but do not think you are just getting a great deal on the same thing, because while you might be getting a great deal, it's not the same product. Don't get me wrong, they will sell some good stuff, but I'd always rather spend a few bucks more and know exactly what I'm getting.

This comes up all the time, the whiskies sold at Trader Joe's are not the same as you will get at the liquor stores.

Seriously!?!... I had no idea. Granted, no Trader Joes here in Ohio (as with most grocery stores lacking attached "independent" liquor agencies) can sell anything stronger than wine, but that's still really good to know. I'm kind of surprised I'd never heard that before.

This comes up all the time, the whiskies sold at Trader Joe's are not the same as you will get at the liquor stores. They are from casks deemed inferior that what goes into the product and instead of being sold into lesser blends they are kept together and sold as a more top shelf blend or a single malt, but do not think you are just getting a great deal on the same thing, because while you might be getting a great deal, it's not the same product. Don't get me wrong, they will sell some good stuff, but I'd always rather spend a few bucks more and know exactly what I'm getting.

Very interesting - Well I am enjoying the current bottle enough that I will search for the 12 year old or the 1780 signature at BevMo this weekend.

i'd like some clarification/support on this. i am certain that this is how TJ's acquires their "house brands," but i can't really see a major manufacturer (jameson or whoever else) putting the same label on a lesser product for sale specifically at TJ's. it just doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective where major brand names strive for a "consistent" product to be sold nationwide and rely on brand recognition to drive sales.

if they were to have a different formula/selection to be sold at different outlets, i would think that they would at least make some subtle changes to the labeling (besides the obvious 1L vs 750mL size difference). furthermore, i would assume that the average trader joe's shopper is slightly more affluent and significantly more interested in the origin and quality of their food/beverages (which is why you see so many "organic" labels there). if anything, a special formulation for trader joes (if it existed) should be marginally better to attract a customer who's willing to pay a little more for a little better quality (versus the average supermarket customer), and have some special labeling.

not trying to thread-jack or call you out--your knowledge of all things liquor has been well-demonstrated here. i'm just really curious about this because it challenges some of my current assumptions

i'd like some clarification/support on this. i am certain that this is how TJ's acquires their "house brands," but i can't really see a major manufacturer (jameson or whoever else) putting the same label on a lesser product for sale specifically at TJ's. it just doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective where major brand names strive for a "consistent" product to be sold nationwide and rely on brand recognition to drive sales.

if they were to have a different formula/selection to be sold at different outlets, i would think that they would at least make some subtle changes to the labeling (besides the obvious 1L vs 750mL size difference). furthermore, i would assume that the average trader joe's shopper is slightly more affluent and significantly more interested in the origin and quality of their food/beverages (which is why you see so many "organic" labels there). if anything, a special formulation for trader joes (if it existed) should be marginally better to attract a customer who's willing to pay a little more for a little better quality (versus the average supermarket customer), and have some special labeling.

not trying to thread-jack or call you out--your knowledge of all things liquor has been well-demonstrated here. i'm just really curious about this because it challenges some of my current assumptions

Okay, for starters, the labels aren't the same. For clarification, I haven't been to Trader Joe's in several years as I think their food is terrible, but that's neither here nor there, but the last time I was there a couple years ago, the Highland Park (for example) was not the same label as the Highland Park 12, 18 or 25 that you'd see at your liquor store, it does say Highland Park on it, because the whisky is from the Highland Park Distillery. Most of the whisky that is produced at distilleries does not go into their Single Malts, it goes into blends or secondary bottlers (like Signatory, Trader Joes, scores of others). HP has a specific flavor profile that fits their single malts when a cask doesn't fit that profile it is sold off instead of being thrown away. Secondary bottlers and blend producers buy this whisky. That's what you are getting at Trader Joe's, it's whisky that doesn't fit with HP so they sell to avoid wasting it. It is of lesser quality (some secondary bottlers can produce better stuff, but that's a whole other thread) which is why it costs less. As for the secondary bottlings that are superior, they will cost much, much more, because a master distillery certainly isn't going to sell off his best product to someone like Trader Joe's so they can sell it at a discount. Simple as that. Secondly about Trader Joes and other markets like that, most people that shop their aren't more informed about where their food or drink comes from, but shopping at places like that makes them feel like they are. Think about it, this holds true for most of the population, even if it doesn't for the B&B audience, which frankly I consider to be more informed that your average Joe, pardon the pun. Most people don't really know or give a damn what "organic" means, but seeing it there makes them feel better, but again that's a whole other thread. Some products like Trader Joe's may be quite good, especially for the money, but trust me, with whisky at Trader Joe's, their products are from the distillery in which they claim to be, but they are not the same product as a traditional bottling.

Last edited:
Nice selection. I was introduced to Jameson several years back while on a trip to Great Britan. My wife, a couple of friends and I rented a car and traveled the back (very small) roads of England and Wales. After a long day on the road hunting castles, abbys, ruins, book shops, and pubs, we pulled into a small town in Wales (can't remember the name) checked into the local B&B/inn and made way to the tavern. A small place with a friendly barkeep, we had the place to ourselves until a group of "locals" settled in. We got the impression they visited another pub on the way. After our dinners, they had some discussion ending with the server/barkeep saying, as we overheard, "that would be up to them", referring to our table. With that, one of the group (who looked very much like Sean Connery) leaned over and said, "would you mind terribly if we had a smoke?" How could we say no? (We were about done, and ready to go anyway.) With that they drew closer and had to buy us a round. Jameson coffees (not just Irish Coffee) and Jameson straight up.

We greatly enjoyed their company and "a round" grew to a few more. A great bunch of guys. Among other things, we discussed our travel and about the Lake District where we were heading next. They recommended we hit a restaurant when we got there. This was the best place in the area (again I can't recall the name) but at all cost we should avoid such-and-such (forgot that place also) because they were "way to pretentious and no fun at all!" So on our first night in the Lake District we were able to get reservations at the "right" place. Well, after a long day of driving we were pretty hungry. When the lovely hostess insisted we sit in the lounge and have a drink and relax before we eat, we began to think that either the drunken-Welshmen (as we affectionately referred to them as) might have been mistaken or the other place was WAY beyond our abilities. In either case, the food and drink was great (however petite) and we toased a (+) Jameson to our Welsh comrades who steered us there.

(Great trip by the way, sorry for the rant) Good choice and I need to pick up a dram or so.

Tom

Nice selection. I was introduced to Jameson several years back while on a trip to Great Britan. My wife, a couple of friends and I rented a car and traveled the back (very small) roads of England and Wales. After a long day on the road hunting castles, abbys, ruins, book shops, and pubs, we pulled into a small town in Wales (can't remember the name) checked into the local B&B/inn and made way to the tavern. A small place with a friendly barkeep, we had the place to ourselves until a group of "locals" settled in. We got the impression they visited another pub on the way. After our dinners, they had some discussion ending with the server/barkeep saying, as we overheard, "that would be up to them", referring to our table. With that, one of the group (who looked very much like Sean Connery) leaned over and said, "would you mind terribly if we had a smoke?" How could we say no? (We were about done, and ready to go anyway.) With that they drew closer and had to buy us a round. Jameson coffees (not just Irish Coffee) and Jameson straight up.

We greatly enjoyed their company and "a round" grew to a few more. A great bunch of guys. Among other things, we discussed our travel and about the Lake District where we were heading next. They recommended we hit a restaurant when we got there. This was the best place in the area (again I can't recall the name) but at all cost we should avoid such-and-such (forgot that place also) because they were "way to pretentious and no fun at all!" So on our first night in the Lake District we were able to get reservations at the "right" place. Well, after a long day of driving we were pretty hungry. When the lovely hostess insisted we sit in the lounge and have a drink and relax before we eat, we began to think that either the drunken-Welshmen (as we affectionately referred to them as) might have been mistaken or the other place was WAY beyond our abilities. In either case, the food and drink was great (however petite) and we toased a (+) Jameson to our Welsh comrades who steered us there.

(Great trip by the way, sorry for the rant) Good choice and I need to pick up a dram or so.

Tom

That was a great story Tom. Thanks for telling it. I hope to make it to Europe someday

Some products like Trader Joe's may be quite good, especially for the money, but trust me, with whisky at Trader Joe's, their products are from the distillery in which they claim to be, but they are not the same product as a traditional bottling.

While it's true that the IB whiskies sold by Trader Joe's aren't all that great, they represent only a small chunk of the booze that TJ's sells - they DO in fact carry plenty of genuine original bottlings at great prices (much like the liter of Jameson's referred to upthread). They don't call the place "the home of $30 Laphroaig" for nothing (or at least I don't :001_smile)!

On a related note, Trader Joe's is currently slinging Jepson Rare brandy (a California artesian Alambic brandy, http://www.jepsonwine.com/current_releases/brandy.html) for $20 a bottle (at least in CA stores) - list is $34! Nice stuff, similar to Germain-Robin, and at $20 a bottle you can't go wrong.

I was waiting for someone else to say it... as I'm an unapologetic Powers devotee. An empty bottle of Powers around my place is like an empty tank of gas in my car... I need to do something about it quickly, or things stop running. :lol:

Wow--Powers. I haven't had that in years, and for no good reason. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow.

I picked up a bottle of the 12 year old. I will compare it to the trader Joes stuff tomarror.

While it's true that the IB whiskies sold by Trader Joe's aren't all that great, they represent only a small chunk of the booze that TJ's sells - they DO in fact carry plenty of genuine original bottlings at great prices (much like the liter of Jameson's referred to upthread). They don't call the place "the home of $30 Laphroaig" for nothing (or at least I don't :001_smile)!

Like I said I haven't been there in a long time and if they do carry the standard bottlings as well as their independent bottlings, those standard bottlings will be the same as the liquor store products. My above posts only applies to independent bottlings.

ah jameson or jemmy as we call it (nectar to the gods) is a great all round whiskey, i have tried all of jameson's whiskey's the 12yr old is really nice & spicy & midleton very rare is top notch, on occasion some shops do deals on midleton for about 100 euro a sweet deal, i drink jemmy straight as it should be drunk, i rate 12yr old red breast nearly as good as midleton & she is only 45 euro, i know this thread is on jemmy but if you get a chance to sample red breast don't hesitate.
slainte

I picked up a bottle of the 12 year old. I will compare it to the trader Joes stuff tomarror.

Jameson's 12 is a very different beast than the NAS Jameson's (what you got at TJ's) - it's got a LOT of sherry going on. Good stuff, but I personally I prefer the cheaper NAS stuff (or Powers, mentioned above). If you're looking for aged, sherried Irish, Black Bush is great too.

snip...i rate 12yr old red breast nearly as good as midleton & she is only 45 euro, i know this thread is on jemmy but if you get a chance to sample red breast don't hesitate.

I agree on the Red Breast, it is a fantastic Whiskey.

I poured myself some Jameson 12 last night. :001_smile It is a very nice, easy drinking whiskey. I think Irish Whiskey is a great way for someone to get into Whisk(e)y. It doesn't have the bold in your face flavors that others may have, which puts some people off.

I poured myself some Jameson 12 last night. :001_smile It is a very nice, easy drinking whiskey. I think Irish Whiskey is a great way for someone to get into Whisk(e)y. It doesn't have the bold in your face flavors that others may have, which puts some people off.

I really couldn't agree more. I really love scotch and bourbon, but sometimes you just want something unassuming, unpretentious, and easy to drink. Irish is how I initially developed a palate for undiluted, unchilled, neat brown liquor, and made it much easier for me to develop an appreciation the flavorful complexities of scotch or the bite of a high-end bourbon over the last few years.

On a related note, Trader Joe's is currently slinging Jepson Rare brandy (a California artesian Alambic brandy, http://www.jepsonwine.com/current_releases/brandy.html) for $20 a bottle (at least in CA stores) - list is $34! Nice stuff, similar to Germain-Robin, and at $20 a bottle you can't go wrong.

Amen on the Jepson Brandy!

Richard

Jameson's 12 is a very different beast than the NAS Jameson's (what you got at TJ's) - it's got a LOT of sherry going on. Good stuff, but I personally I prefer the cheaper NAS stuff (or Powers, mentioned above). If you're looking for aged, sherried Irish, Black Bush is great too.

I am enjoying the regular stuff more than the Jameson's 12 as well.

Top Bottom