What's new

Best Irish Whiskey: 6 Bottles for St. Patrick's Day

Fun article on Forbes.com about some of the more pricey Irish whiskies to check out. Seems a rather fitting post with St. Patrick's Day next Tuesday (although most people are probably going out drinkin' this weekend). What do you think, anyone try these? Really want to check out Yellow Spot now that it's available in the U.S..

$Best-Irish-Whiskey_Forbes-1940x1091.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karlaalindahao/2015/03/13/best-irish-whiskey-for-st-patricks-day-2015/2/

Karla Alindahao
Contributor

On the rare occasions that I don’t have a Scotch, I typically slide over an island and order an Irish whiskey. And if you’re not familiar with the better amber ambrosias from the Emerald Isle, what better time to learn about them than St. Patrick’s Day?

The March 17 holiday is a good reason to explore the virtues of classic Irish whiskies such as Jameson and Powers—or one of the small-batch offerings from Greenore. So here are six noteworthy selections in varying price points—from the mid-range Connemara (at $70) to Knappogue’s 1951 vintage, which, at more than $2,000 per bottle, may require a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Greenore 8-Year Small Batch Single Grain Irish Whiskey ($62)
If you’re looking for a versatile Irish whiskey, look no further. The Greenore Single Grain 8-Year is the kind of good quality whiskey you can use in a cocktail, should you so please. Distilled from corn in continuous column stills and aged in ex-bourbon barrels, the whiskey is smooth, crisp, and not too “heavy.” But the Greenore portfolio isn’t limited to the 8-Year: The distillery also released 4,000 bottles of an 18-Year whiskey, which was aged in American oak casks. So if you can, get your hands on that one too.

Connemara Cask Strength Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey ($70)
Named after a district in the west coast of Ireland, this double-distilled whiskey uses the tradition of drying malted barley over peat fires—giving the blend a distinctly complex and smoky taste reminiscent of an Islay whisky. So if you’re a Scotch drinker with a tendency to order Laphroiag, Lagavulin, or Bowmore—get a bottle of Connemara. It’d be a good place to start your Irish whiskey education.

Powers John’s Lane Release Irish Whiskey ($72)
“
I’m all about single pot still Irish whiskeys,” says Dead Rabbit co-owner Jack McGarry. “And the best representation of the 19th-century style [Irish whiskey] currently available is Powers John’s Lane, which is a 12- to 15-year-old whiskey matured in ex-Bourbon casks with a hint of sherry.” And as with most single pot stills, it’s best enjoyed neat—with a splash of water to release its aromas and flavor profiles.

Yellow Spot 12-Year Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey ($105)
A little more than a year ago, Mitchell & Son’s Green Spot arrived on U.S. soil to much fanfare. And just last month, its older sibling—Yellow Spot—was (finally) made available Stateside too. Each batch of this cult favorite bonder’s style single pot still, which was only previously sold in a few European countries, is matured in a combination of casks: American bourbon, Spanish sherry, and Spanish Malaga. The finish is both sophisticated and complex—with a sweetness that can be attributed to the sherry and bourbon casks.

Jameson 15-Year Limited Edition Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey ($572)
Everyone loves a generous pour of Jameson. And it’s probably safe to say that it’s the best-known brand of Irish whiskey in the States. Plus with several expressions in the distillery’s portfolio (including the 12-Year Reserve, Select Reserve Black Barrel, Rarest Vintage Reserve, and more), enjoying a Jameson flight can be quite the treat. But there’s one bottle that’s fairly difficult to find: the 15-Year Pure Pot Still. It’s certainly not inexpensive—but it’s utterly flavorful and worth the price. “It’s unique because the distillate style is 100 percent traditional pot still (Irish Whiskey anoraks call this ‘Trad Pot’) Irish whiskey,” McGarry says. “It’s the heaviest cut, which results in a very creamy and very spicy style of whiskey. And this was the style that defined the category during the 19th century when Irish whiskey dominated the whiskey world.”

Knappogue Single Malt Irish Whiskey 1951 ($2,200)
Knappogue is the best Irish whiskey that non-whiskey drinkers have never heard of. The go-to bottle is its 12-Year Irish Single Malt, which is aged in ex-bourbon casks and has a slight sweetness. But the 1951 vintage blows the mind. “What makes Knappogue 1951 so special is that it’s one of the oldest pot still Irish whiskeys available at this time—and it’s from the old Tullamore Dew distillery, which, back in the day was called the B. Daly Distillery,” McGarry explains. “There were eight barrels found in the late 1980s that came from the distillery. Andrew Castle (owner of Castle brands) purchased the barrels and sold it as Knappogue 1951. So you’re literally drinking history: Irish whiskey history.” And yes, the ’51 vintage is difficult to find but it’s out there. And if you want a sampling before you commit to the four-figure bottle purchase, Dead Rabbit will sell you a pour for $250.

Last edited:
Some nice top shelf Irish.

I just got a couple bottles of Tullamore D.E.W. (regular and 12 year) for Saint Patty's day. Middle shelf by comparison but still not bad sipping whiskey.

proxy.php

I'll be drinking my new acquisition: Concannon Irish Whiskey (aged four years, then finished in Petite Sirah wine casks)

I stick to my regular label Jameson - $36 for a 1.75L. If I'm going up scale, I reach for a single malt Scotch.

Some nice top shelf Irish.

I just got a couple bottles of Tullamore D.E.W. (regular and 12 year) for Saint Patty's day. Middle shelf by comparison but still not bad sipping whiskey.

proxy.php

Ahhh. We have the same tastes in Irish Whiskey...

Kavanagh is/was a pleasant surprise.

Only 2 kinds of people, Irish & wannabes but once a year everyone can be Irish. Happy Saint Patrick's Day

Whiskey was created to keep the Irish from ruling the world but even whiskey couldn't stop them.

Top Bottom