What's new

Bourbon Feels the Burn of a Barrel Shortage!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Say what :a47:...a shortage of barrels
proxy.php

No, come on now...you 'gotta' be kidding me...right?
proxy.php

Surge in popularity coincided with downturn in white oak logging

By Tripp Mickel - Wall Street Journal - 11 May 15

proxy.php
"In 50 years of making bourbon barrels, no one had ever offered Leroy McGinnis more than what he charged for them. But over the past six months, multiple distillers have offered to pay him $250 a barrel—a 70% premium above the $150 list price.

The offer illustrates just how scarce bourbon barrels have become. As bourbon sales have soared, both barrel production and the lumber industry have struggled to keep up.

Mr. McGinnis’s Missouri-based company, McGinnis Wood Products Inc., gets about four email requests a day for barrels. He turns most down. Like many of his competitors, he has only enough capacity and wood to fill orders from longtime customers. The rest go on a waiting list, perpetuating a bourbon barrel shortage now entering its third year.

[FONT=&amp]“There’s never been nothing like there is today, and I don’t see it letting up,” said Mr. McGinnis, whose Cuba, Mo., company will sell 150,000 bourbon barrels this year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The shortage reflects a supply-chain conundrum. Upstream, barrel makers face a wave of demand because a half dozen established bourbon distilleries and 300 new, craft distilleries are increasing production amid a bourbon boom. Downstream, they face a shortage of white oak wood used in barrels because the lumber industry hasn’t rebounded from the housing market’s collapse.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Bourbon barrel making is nearly as complicated as bourbon making itself. Bourbon is aged a minimum of two years in new barrels made of white oak (the barrels are never reused for bourbon, but Scotch and tequila is sometimes aged in old bourbon barrels).

'Cooperages', which are what the barrel makers are called, fit oak planks known as staves together like puzzle pieces, encircle them with metal hoops, and ignite them with fire to create a char inside to color and flavor whiskey.[/FONT]

$Barrels.jpg In Louisville, Ky., oak barrels at the Brown-Forman Cooperage are ignited to char them on the inside, a process that colors and flavors whiskey and bourbon. The barrels, which are used entirely for Brown-Forman’s own spirits production, will eventually contain bourbon brands such as Woodford Reserve, Old Forester and Early Times.

[FONT=&amp]The stress on barrel makers has been driven by the more than 35% increase in bourbon sales in the U.S. since 2010. Including Tennessee whiskey, which also uses new oak barrels, exports topped $1 billion last year for only the second time".[/FONT]

Read More: http://www.wsj.com/articles/bourbon-makers-feel-the-burn-of-a-barrel-shortage-1431371621

Go figure, huh? :001_rolle

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Beauty and bourbon begins with the barrel and that is just soul healing" Old Bourbon Proverb

Last edited:
My brother-in-law worked for Wild Turkey as well as other distilleries for years. I asked him why bourbon makers don't reuse the barrells and he said they could - but under state and federal law if they do so it can't be called bourbon. He said that Diageo - who owns George Dickel - attempted to change the law but was not successful. The Code of Federal Regulations Title 27, provides the specific definition of what constitutes each spirit and states the new barrell requirement for bourbon. My favorite definition is for vodka: [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]“Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You can read the definitions [/FONT]here.

Bourbon sales are up? I don't really understand why. Will have to look into this. The young'uns around here seem to drink a lot of Busch light, not bourbon.

look at it from big corp. if you are selling in year 2000 aged whisky for $20.00 and the eastern markets open up and china starts buying because they have a middle class that can afford the nicety of the liquor world and bourbon starts going over sea in all directions and american stocked piled reserves can't meet the demand for the first time in 40yrs that barrel of whisky just went up in price. no age statement, flavor profile, and you will not taste the difference. well this true for the younger drinkers (more flavored-whiskeys than ever in my 60yrs of memory) but as a long time whisky drinker i smell uncontrolled greed at the expense of the american consumer for many years to come (buffalo trace)

I've often wondered what the difference in taste would be if a barrel was used more than once. I'm sure there are people who would notice. I'm also sure some people would not.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In this sellers' market, the cooperages really have the distillers over a barrel.

The benefits/effects of exposure to the oak is limited and is very different between a "new" barrel, a once used, twice used, etc. barrel. Barrels for some uses can be rehab'd but for most uses after few fills you don't get a significant effect from the oak vs. stainless/plastic/etc. That's why barrels are retired, cut in half, and turned into planters when they still don't leak. (Stainless/plastic/etc. don't breathe and give the Angel's Share effect so their use with adding oak chips/stays/etc won't produce the same product.

The demands of bourbon, scotch, wine, etc. producers for fresh barrels puts a premium on the price.

My appreciation of wine and spirits have given me a greater appreciation of the Cooper's art.

Tom

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The benefits/effects of exposure to the oak is limited and is very different between a "new" barrel, a once used, twice used, etc. barrel. Barrels for some uses can be rehab'd but for most uses after few fills you don't get a significant effect from the oak vs. stainless/plastic/etc. That's why barrels are retired, cut in half, and turned into planters when they still don't leak. (Stainless/plastic/etc. don't breathe and give the Angel's Share effect so their use with adding oak chips/stays/etc won't produce the same product.

The demands of bourbon, scotch, wine, etc. producers for fresh barrels puts a premium on the price.

My appreciation of wine and spirits have given me a greater appreciation of the Cooper's art.

Tom
Tom:
Great read...and great info! :thumbsup:

BTW, when you mentioned 'the Angel's Share' it took me back years ago on a trip to Cognac, France. The Mrs. and I had a wonderful time and the people of Cognac made sure we left with so many things we learned about 'the spirit of cognac'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] "All cognac’s are brandy...but not all brandy’s are cognac". CBJ [/FONT]

I remember there was always something special, distinct and magical (and almost mythical too), in the air of Cognac. I can't put it in words, but you had to be there a few days before you would notice that scent (especially in the morning), in which the locals called this airborne fragrance as 'la part des anges' ('the angel's share'...which by the way, they informed us, is part of the invisible mist of evaporation), from aging cognac in hundreds and thousands of barrels hidden in cellars below ground level (the oldest cellars are called 'Paradise'), and along the streets of this charming and beautiful city.

proxy.php
"Beauty and bourbon begins with the barrel and that is just soul healing" Old Bourbon Proverb

Last edited:
I remember there's always something distinct and magical (and almost mythical), in the air of Cognac. I can't put it in words, but you had to be there a few days before you would notice that scent in which the locals called this airborne fragrance as the 'the angel's share' (which by the way, they informed us, is part of the never ending invisible mist of evaporation), from aging cognac in hundreds and thousands of barrels hidden in cellars below ground level (the oldest cellars are called 'Paradise'), and along the streets of this charming and beautiful city.

Sweet! The air where spirits, wine, etc. are aged in barrels is special, whether upstairs in a hot barn or in a cool damp cellar. Wish we could capture that!

Tom

I read an article about a lot of the clubs selling more whiskey on the rocks or neat to the young ladies these days over fruity vodka cocktails over years past.

When I was active in the dating scene a during the same time I noticed it to also be true making it harder to pick the better girl! I knew the ones that picked whiskey or a tasty beer would be a better choice!.

I find this interesting as there doesn't seem to be a shortage of American oak wine barrels. I've had no trouble getting them over the last three years.

I've often wondered what the difference in taste would be if a barrel was used more than once. I'm sure there are people who would notice. I'm also sure some people would not.
Actually, that's exactly what Brown-Forman does with Early Times. Because they age it in used cooperage, they can't legally call it bourbon (the label says "Kentucky Straight Whiskey), though it meets the legal requirements for bourbon in all other respects. And while it is young (and tastes like it), ET does taste like bourbon, to me anyway. It's not what I'd prefer to sip neat, but it's better than a lot of other cheap whiskey legally entitled to be called bourbon. So, I think your premise is pretty valid.

Top Bottom