What's new

Spike's DE Blade Search, &c.

I am going back to work tomorrow, and in a particularly intense

"Work"..."intense"..."over 60"...

1532733453475_image.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Congratulations, Spike. :clap:

Pop in when you can, we'll keep the lights on till you get back :D Good luck with the new employment, buddy :thumbup:

M

member 119848

Notice

Well, after six months of extreme underemployment, during which I have had the luxury of spending lots of time with strangers who I nonetheless consider good friends, I am going back to work tomorrow, and in a particularly intense way.

Therefore, my ‘best days’ (whatever that means) on this site are very probably over for the foreseeable future. I don’t think I will completely vanish, but no one can predict the future.

Just in case, many, many thanks, and best of luck to everyone. Read more history. Read it to your kids. You won’t regret it.
I wish you all the best for your new job, Tokyospike.
We are hoping that you do not vanish from our community.
You have been inspiring to me, especially regarding our minimalist mindset.

Thanks, all.

hey spike! I've been catching up on this thread and I wanted to wish you well in your new job. I also wanted to mention that I enjoyed your reviews on the ATT SE1 and SE2. Anyway I hope all goes well for you and hope to see you around the boards. Cheers!

hey spike! I've been catching up on this thread and I wanted to wish you well in your new job. I also wanted to mention that I enjoyed your reviews on the ATT SE1 and SE2. Anyway I hope all goes well for you and hope to see you around the boards. Cheers!

Thanks, Phil! Thanks to you I think I have my ‘forever’ razor.

Notice

Well, after six months of extreme underemployment, during which I have had the luxury of spending lots of time with strangers who I nonetheless consider good friends, I am going back to work tomorrow, and in a particularly intense way.

Therefore, my ‘best days’ (whatever that means) on this site are very probably over for the foreseeable future. I don’t think I will completely vanish, but no one can predict the future.

Just in case, many, many thanks, and best of luck to everyone. Read more history. Read it to your kids. You won’t regret it.
Congratulations Spike! I understand where you're coming from (I'm just getting around to reading this myself). Pop on when you get a chance and the guys from the asylum will make you feel welcome. Very happy that you have the employment that you've been seeking. Good luck with this new job!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quarterly Switch
The slow rotation creeps on . . .

Fall.jpg

Yes, friends, once the ragged remains of Florence blew through here on their way out to sea again, we actually had a day where the temperature didn't get up to 70 Fahrenheit. So this week it's out with the Spice and Bay Rum . . .

The Lavender is back, baby! Wet Shaving Products' made to order True Lavender is a great way to leave the house in the morning and confront the damp, cool breezes of Autumn. Everyone already knows how I feel about Mike's Natural and the Chatillon Lux AS salves . . .

Everything has settled into a fine routine around here. Use the SE1 on weekday mornings and the SE2 on the weekend when I have time to pay attention. Still change it up to Ghost Town Barber whenever the situation requires. Still enjoying every shave. Just about 6 months with the Atomic Rocket now; it hasn't lost a bristle nor, as far as I can tell, changed in any way whatsoever.

Hope all is well with you wherever you fare . . .

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Quarterly Switch

View attachment 916449

Yes, friends, once the ragged remains of Florence blew through here on their way out to sea again, we actually had a day where the temperature didn't get up to 70 Fahrenheit. So this week it's out with the Spice and Bay Rum . . .

The Lavender is back, baby! Wet Shaving Products' made to order True Lavender is a great way to leave the house in the morning and confront the damp, cool breezes of Autumn. Everyone already knows how I feel about Mike's Natural and the Chatillon Lux AS salves . . .

Everything has settled into a fine routine around here. Use the SE1 on weekday mornings and the SE2 on the weekend when I have time to pay attention. Still change it up to Ghost Town Barber whenever the situation requires. Still enjoying every shave. Just about 6 months with the Atomic Rocket now; it hasn't lost a bristle nor, as far as I can tell, changed in any way whatsoever.

All good here Spike, and getting better all the time. :001_cool:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Quarterly Switch

View attachment 916449

All good here as well Spike. It's a beautiful autumn day. It's about 70 degrees and sunny. I just watched the Avengers with my grandson and enjoying the day.

Quarterly Switch
Headed back to six months of sandalwood . . .

Winter.jpg

So yeah, the seasons are not really 'quarters' around here. We had two days over Thanksgiving where the temperature never got above freezing, so the time has come: the scuttle is back, the CRSW Select Sandalwood, the Fine Santal Absolut. And it's all still yummy!

But winter pretty much lasts until May . . . so good thing I like this combination a lot. Of course, I will continue to change it up to Ghost Town Barber occasionally, and I sometimes opt for Truefit & Hill Trafalgar AS splash (sadly, now discontinued by T&H).

Shave on, folks . . . and thanks for reading.

70 degrees right now here in north Georgia. A couple of days ago I woke up to temps in the 20's. Fall and winter are crazy like that.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm with you Spike. Summer went straight to snow this year. We skipped Fall completely.

Software Update
Where was I . . . ?

Oud.jpg

Way back in February, I was basically gifted a jar of AOS shaving cream in Oud, and wrote about my sentimental attachment to oud at that time. Something kept me from going back to it and experimenting with face lathering as planned . . . but I have now.

I have pretty much dismissed AOS out of hand as a crass commercialization of something where I think the independent artisans are the real heroes . . . but I realize that's just me being an old curmudgeon.

So, face lathering a tiny amount of this with a damp brush is ridiculously easy. It's also extremely time-effective - but I like my hot scuttle in the winter. The scent is intense, filling the shaving theatre for the shave, but rinses and wafts away thereafter. Smells quite wonderful. I haven't used any other oud shaving products, so I really can't compare it to anything.

And most importantly, the slickness, residual and otherwise, is excellent.

This isn't really going into the rotation, but if I'm in a tearing hurry, or in the mood for oud, I'll be glad to have it around.

Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom