What's new

Spike's DE Blade Search, &c.

Software Update
Where was I . . . ?

View attachment 935490

Way back in February, I was basically gifted a jar of AOS shaving cream in Oud, and wrote about my sentimental attachment to oud at that time. Something kept me from going back to it and experimenting with face lathering as planned . . . but I have now.

I have pretty much dismissed AOS out of hand as a crass commercialization of something where I think the independent artisans are the real heroes . . . but I realize that's just me being an old curmudgeon.

So, face lathering a tiny amount of this with a damp brush is ridiculously easy. It's also extremely time-effective - but I like my hot scuttle in the winter. The scent is intense, filling the shaving theatre for the shave, but rinses and wafts away thereafter. Smells quite wonderful. I haven't used any other oud shaving products, so I really can't compare it to anything.

And most importantly, the slickness, residual and otherwise, is excellent.

This isn't really going into the rotation, but if I'm in a tearing hurry, or in the mood for oud, I'll be glad to have it around.

Thanks for reading.

I have an unopened jar of this as well. You make it sound so good that I just might have to break it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought AOS Ocean Kelp cream and pre shave gel when I first started wet shaving in 2013. The scent was to die for! I was a rookie, so I don't think I got it to work as good as it should have. I might have to pick up some more one day.

‘Ocean Kelp’ should smell terrible (in addition to being a bit redundant) but I haven’t been to the ocean in so long, it sounds wonderful.

I don't know what they were going for but it didn't smell like the ocean. I checked their website and it's not there so there goes that!

I did see a Bergamot scented cream. I love the smell of Bergamot, I mix the essential oil in my preshave mix. I may have to give that one a try before they stop making it.

Edit: I meant to say didn't smell like the ocean but it smelled good.

Last edited:
Quarterly Switch or is it . . .
Software Update ? in any case . . .
Minimalism run amok! Sabbatical nonsense!

It's going to be 65 degrees again today, and punch through into the 70s tomorrow. I doubt the overnight lows will drop below 45 degrees again, so it's time to swap out the sandalwood set and rotate in the lavender . . . except . . . it's not!

New_Stuff.jpg

After a year and a half of the Slow Rotation (patent pending), somehow, I've hardly used the sandalwood all winter. For whatever reason, if I don't want to use the Ghost Town Barber, then I only want the Atomic Age Bay Rum . . . and if I don't want the Bay Rum, I have to have the Ghost Town Barber! I am going through that Bay Rum (I practically bathe in the stuff) at a frightful rate. And I had gotten it to use during the summer!

Gaaah! The problem is, in a moment of madness I signed on to the 2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical. So now, or sometime in the very near future, I'm going to have to go to the BST and try to trade off my other stuff for more of the precious Atomic Age.

Which is a pain in the butt, but otherwise sort of OK. I think I can happily pare down the whole shaving theatre to just the three AS products above. The one in the middle is Chatillon Lux Skin Salve. Over a year ago, Shawn at Chatillon Lux in St. Louis decided he couldn't keep up making his Post Shave Salve in every fragrance they came up with. I am a big fan, and tried to keep both Champs Lavande and Gratiot League Square flavors on hand. He's basically rebranded the stuff "skin salve" and just makes three: Citrus, Lavender, and Unscented. I inherited some unscented from SWMBO, and you know what? It's perfect for/with everything. Sometimes I consider just ordering some raw, organic shea butter, but I think this stuff, mostly shea butter but with the addition of aloe vera, jojoba, witch hazel, lanolin and a couple of other things is even better. It certainly has a profound positive impact on my skin in general, and those occasions/places where I irritate myself (don't say it) even more so.

So what does this mean? Well, I'm certainly also going to hang on to the industrial-sized, industrial-strength bottle of Floid Vigoroso, because August in New York City can be steamy and smelly and I need a heavy menthol solution. Also, SWMBO really likes that stuff. Actually, in the Sabbatical my one permitted exception is menthol crystals, because I feel that the one tiny criticism I can make of the Atomic Age is that it could have just a kiss of menthol to make it perfect . . . "Menthol in a bay rum?" you say, "Blasphemy!" But I'm sure I'm right . . . just waiting for summer . . .

But then, well, there's the soap question. SAD . . . I know, so SAD . . . especially since I ran out of the Barrister's Reserve Spice that I like to pair with the bay rum. I'm going to have to try to get a hold of some more of that, too -- although I am also thinking I would try Stirling's Bay Rum soap, as I like their formula a lot. In the meantime, I have been using the Stirling Weekend in Malibu I keep on hand.

OK, so, we're looking at eventually getting down to just this set:

AS Balm: Chatillon Lux unscented
AS Splash: Ghost Town Barber, Atomic Age Bay Rum, Floid Vigoroso
Soap: Ghost Town Barber, Barrister's Reserve Spice (maybe a substitute), and Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic for the menthol.

Which means I have at least three soaps and two AS splashes I can theoretically trade out during the Sabbatical to keep the other stuff stocked, if I'm lucky.

It means the end of the Slow Rotation . . . but all things pass in time . . .

Thanks for reading.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Probably this isn't going to be helpful in the least...

1-8-19.Boots.AABayRum.Kit.640.JPG

You do know there are a couple of Atomic Age Bay Rum soaps, right?

I'm not tried the more expensive of the two (the newest one). The older one is pretty good. I won't say it's as good as my Grooming Dept soaps but it's certainly no slouch in the performance department. Its scent is, to my nose, not really as good as the bay rum splash, but it's still very nice.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

I like all bay rums (that I've tried) but this one is my favorite.

There is no chance I will be without it, but perhaps I could buy a jug of it and we could figure out something you already have that we could trade for it. I understand the need to comply with the terms of your agreement. Maybe I can help you out. If not me, somebody.

A guy just can't survive without the right bay rum! At least not the way we want to survive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Probably this isn't going to be helpful in the least...

View attachment 970148

You do know there are a couple of Atomic Age Bay Rum soaps, right?

I'm not tried the more expensive of the two (the newest one). The older one is pretty good. I won't say it's as good as my Grooming Dept soaps but it's certainly no slouch in the performance department. Its scent is, to my nose, not really as good as the bay rum splash, but it's still very nice.

View attachment 970145

I like all bay rums (that I've tried) but this one is my favorite.

There is no chance I will be without it, but perhaps I could buy a jug of it and we could figure out something you already have that we could trade for it. I understand the need to comply with the terms of your agreement. Maybe I can help you out. If not me, somebody.

A guy just can't survive without the right bay rum! At least not the way we want to survive.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ewwwww, Jim, you enabler you. Jeesh, you've even sold me on it for Spike lol.

Wow, Jim. What a lovely offer. I will try to work it out in my own way, but I will certainly PM you if I need to take you up on it. As usual, you so totally rock.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The MMOC's got nothin' on the SE2. I have (and use) both. The MMOC's like a vintage Kiss track: pulse-pounding beat and loud guitars. The SE2 is like Wagner's Ring Cycle: blood and screaming. :a15:

The MMOC gives me a drama-free close shave. The SE2 is like Lucy and the football with Charlie Brown: "This time for sure; this time for su...AAAHHHH!"

But I keep comin' back...

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The MMOC's got nothin' on the SE2. I have (and use) both. The MMOC's like a vintage Kiss track: pulse-pounding beat and loud guitars. The SE2 is like Wagner's Ring Cycle: blood and screaming. :a15:

The MMOC gives me a drama-free close shave. The SE2 is like Lucy and the football with Charlie Brown: "This time for sure; this time for su...AAAHHHH!"

But I keep comin' back...

O.H.

Steepen the angle with the SE2. See if that's better. It is for me.

Greetings, old friends. I live!

I continue contentedly using the large supply backlog I assembled three years ago — for a little while longer, at least. After 11 months of house arrest and WFH, I am down to shaving once a week! And for that mighty task, there is no tool better than the SE2. My hand-stropped and flipped Schlick Proline blades handle a one-pass WTG DFS like it’s nothin’. No nicks, no cuts, no irritation, and more than two months on a blade.

I will doubtless go back to the SE1 and four or five multi-pass, BBS shaves a week when cafe society reconvenes, but I’m extremely grateful for the ‘straight razor on a stick’ in these more barbaric times.

Stay safe!

Top Bottom