What's new

Spike's DE Blade Search, &c.

I’m terrible with money. I think we are only targeting raw steel stock, not manufactured goods of this type. Also, Japan is not a significant target. Finally, I think the trade war is too stupid to last 10 years. Just my opinion . . .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Spike,

I'm skipping from conversation back in February to now, and I'm very lazy, so I'll just ask.

Are you still riding the cap with the AC razors? Particularly with the SE2 and SE1? Have you or anybody else successfully used these razors shaving steep, riding the guard, or at the design (neutral) angle?

I've only ridden the cap with any of my AC razors (SS General, ATT SE1 and SE2) and am rather terrified of using them steep and being a foolish and bloodied pioneer, especially if that territory has been explored and found to be hostile.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That’s a great idea. Don’t you and Jim have a machine tool purchase in the works? Also, wouldn’t you consider the Fatips to be modern versions of this basic design, with improvements? I think I would consider the additional weight an improvement . . .

Thanks, Al. I am pondering how to work it into my travel kit? Certainly smaller and lighter than the big guy, and easier to find blades for. Seems a shame to not have it where it’s better appreciated than that, though . . .

I am very grateful you came to this conclusion before me. Otherwise, I would feel so alone wandering the streets declaring, “This is the best s**t!

But I think it is.

I've talked to a couple of people with CNC machines (one has many). One was at least a tad interested in razor manufacturing but didn't have any idea now they could be marketed; I'm not sure what he already produces. The other wasn't interested at all being at full capacity already.

I have trouble seeing how it could get much beyond a hobby business.

Doesn't mean an exact copy of the best Old Type on a Fat Handle Tech handle (or something similar) wouldn't sell like hotcakes. The "best razor Gillette ever made." It could be a three piece razor with a handle which looks like the Double Ring!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've only ridden the cap with any of my AC razors (SS General, ATT SE1 and SE2) and am rather terrified of using them steep and being a foolish and bloodied pioneer, especially if that territory has been explored and found to be hostile.

aa384cd4a51f5a1e107b0b6baf498a11--beautiful-words-inspirational-thoughts.jpg

I've used the MMOC steeper than its meant to be used. The sheer rigidity of the blade itself makes it very smooth and extremely predictable. I would think the SE1 and 2 similar.

With a very light touch I'd bet you find them as easy, if not easier to use than your R41. The only difference being, the SE1 and the AC blades will have zero give, where the R41, being a less rigid design, and the DE blade being much thinner and more flexible could be, in a way, more forgiving.

The most difficult part of a shave with the MMOC steep is along any area where the full width of the blade isnt carrying the load. Use the same amount of pressure when only 1/4 or 1/2 the blade is in contact and you'll peel skin.

Shave by feel, cautiously, and you may be surprised how gentle but predictable and effective they can be.

I have trouble seeing how it could get much beyond a hobby business.

How quickly did the RR Barber Pole handle sell out and how many were sold in that time? Buy one, laser scan it in and start pumping them out. I'd bet a 100 would be gone quickly as long as word got out.

Let him laser scan your Single Ring and start producing them. No one else is. The market is wide open. He'd be the only guy making them. After he makes one he'd know the material costs, time and machine wear so he could come up with a price. If its reasonable, even being Brass over stainless, he's in business.

Being the guy with the only game in town is a very good place to be.

Are you still riding the cap with the AC razors? Particularly with the SE2 and SE1? Have you or anybody else successfully used these razors shaving steep, riding the guard, or at the design (neutral) angle?

Yes, I am happily riding the cap with the SE1 and the SE2. I have shaved at the neutral angle with the SE1 without incident, but the shaves aren’t as comfortable. I shaved at the neutral angle with the Mongoose for months quite happily, not knowing any better.

Given that, for me, stretching the skin, a wet lather, and an AC blade as shallow as the razor allows give me very efficient, comfortable, 2-pass plus touch-up shaves - and that the idea of a steep-angle shave purposely involved dragging the edge over the skin - I doubt I will ever use these razors/blades at a steep angle. What’s the point? Others are, of course, free to try.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, I am happily riding the cap with the SE1 and the SE2. I have shaved at the neutral angle with the SE1 without incident, but the shaves aren’t as comfortable. I shaved at the neutral angle with the Mongoose for months quite happily, not knowing any better.

Given that, for me, stretching the skin, a wet lather, and an AC blade as shallow as the razor allows give me very efficient, comfortable, 2-pass plus touch-up shaves - and that the idea of a steep-angle shave purposely involved dragging the edge over the skin - I doubt I will ever use these razors/blades at a steep angle. What’s the point? Others are, of course, free to try.

Thanks, Spike.

I figured you were probably still cap riding the AC razors. I've never tried any of my three - SS General, SE1, SE2 - any other way. In my experience the SE2 is harsh even riding the cap, which makes no sense to me but is true.

BOSC.2.Full Moose Insanity.jpg

However, it's occurred to me to try them all steep. Just how insane that might be remains an open question, but when I say open question I'm hoping open skin doesn't result.

My AC razors are fixing to go on a very extended road trip, but I might play with them today. If I can get up the nerve for the experiment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The only stainless steel razor I have now is my Colonial General. I haven’t mastered that razor (not even close). My face requires a day off between shaves on that guy with a Proline. Yet it is considered a “mild” razor to most that use the AC format. I’ll have to give it a little time here in the next week or two, see if I can learn it a bit better.

Upcoming. Steep. Tomorrow.

Notice

Well, after six months of extreme underemployment, during which I have had the luxury of spending lots of time with strangers who I nonetheless consider good friends, I am going back to work tomorrow, and in a particularly intense way.

Therefore, my ‘best days’ (whatever that means) on this site are very probably over for the foreseeable future. I don’t think I will completely vanish, but no one can predict the future.

Just in case, many, many thanks, and best of luck to everyone. Read more history. Read it to your kids. You won’t regret it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having employment is usually a very good thing, so congratulations, Spike.

You're not going to get rid of us that easily. We can find you anytime via our NYC Spy Network.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Notice

Well, after six months of extreme underemployment, during which I have had the luxury of spending lots of time with strangers who I nonetheless consider good friends, I am going back to work tomorrow, and in a particularly intense way.

Therefore, my ‘best days’ (whatever that means) on this site are very probably over for the foreseeable future. I don’t think I will completely vanish, but no one can predict the future.

Just in case, many, many thanks, and best of luck to everyone. Read more history. Read it to your kids. You won’t regret it.

Congrats Spike.

I hope you manage to pop on more than enough to call it a rare occurrence. You'll be missed...

George-Santayana-Quotes-1.jpg

Notice

The VERY BEST of luck in your endeavours.

Here's wishing you all the best for your future ventures Spike. :thumbup:

And do drop in when you get the chance. I know Nurse Ratched would like that.

Top Bottom