What's new

Speakeasy Aquisitions - January 2011

Liquor Store gift card :)

proxy.php

I was out wasting time and ended up perusing the scotch selections available. Ended up picking this up

proxy.php

The looks of the bottle were the deciding factor :blush: , though it is an ok scotch. I would likely recommend it as a beginner scotch as it does not really have that much of a personality, but covers the range of flavour notes of scotch (nothing kicks you in the teeth, but they are all there)

IMHO, the BEST value for the money ANYWHERE in the world of bourbon. I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against any other bourbon. Amazing stuff.

I meant to post back sooner with my impressions. It's lovely stuff, this. I love bourbon, but I'm not really a neat bourbon drinker. Rather, I favor strong mixes where the bourbon still shines. I drank this stuff neat the other night, and it's the only way I'll ever drink it from now on. It's sweeter and less spicy than Bulleit, which is my usual bourbon. Overall very easy to drink and very flavorful.

Forgive me, I can't pour it until after work...although I did call in sick today...maybe this will help the chills I've got. :smile:

proxy.php

Forgive me, I can't pour it until after work...although I did call in sick today...maybe this will help the chills I've got. :smile:

I've got about one or two more pours of that bottle. I'm sure it will help with the chills!

Sure thing, I'll break out my Old Forrester to celebrate...:lol:

Seriously, here is how i got my handle. I use the sniffer for neat and the silver beaded for mint juleps. But the Pappy Van Winkle is for special occasions...only.hehe

I know you're just saying Old Forrester to keep everyone else out of your house, but you'll pour the good stuff for me. :biggrin1:

( SNIP )

I know you're just saying Old Forrester to keep everyone else out of your house, but you'll pour the good stuff for me. :biggrin1:

Of course, I will. But, Old Forrester is a fair bourbon. As a matter of fact, I buy Old Forrester just for Mint Juleps...and friends who like coke ( choke ) with their Bourbon. Arguably, best bang for the buck in a bourbon whiskey, IMO. For general sippin, I go Woodford as number 1 with Makers Mark as 2nd.....then there's Pappy Van Wink..........:thumbup:

Last edited:
Of course, I will. But, Old Forrester is a fair bourbon. As a matter of fact, I buy Old Forrester just for Mint Juleps...and friends who like coke ( choke ) with their Bourbon. Arguably, best bang for the buck in a bourbon whiskey, IMO. For general sippin, I go Woodford as number 1 with Makers Mark as 2nd.....then there's Pappy An Wink..........:thumbup:

I wasn't turning my nose at Old Forrester, it's a solid bourbon. But it's no Pappy.

I have some Woodford, but I haven't bought a bottle that didn't start with the letter "B" in about two years.

In order of preference:

Blanton's Special Reserve - absolute favorite, even above PVW (ducks for cover)
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel - gotta get this one abroad or at major airports.
Basil Hayden
Baker's
Booker's

One of the more surprising finds this year, and I take back my statement on "B" bourbons, has been Makers 46. Very good stuff.

The latest addition to my (small) collection is the bottle on the right. Ron Zacapa Centenario XO. Technically it wasn't a 2011 addition but it's close enough as I bought it on new years eve.

I got the bottle of Ron Z 23 (2nd from the right) from my brother for Christmas.

My Bundaberg Black (on the left) is my most prized bottle. Got that from my lovely wife the day before we got married.

proxy.php

I have some Woodford, but I haven't bought a bottle that didn't start with the letter "B" in about two years.

In order of preference:

Blanton's Special Reserve - absolute favorite, even above PVW (ducks for cover)

Do tell, LMAO !!!
How's bout uploading me a little snort, so I can judge it....hehe.
If it's better than Pappy and cheaper, too...I got to get me some, that's fo sho !

First post-New Year's restock...all bombers, all Stone:
  • 6 Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
  • 2 IPA
  • 1 Ruination
  • 1 Arrogant Bastard Ale
I wish I could find more of their 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA, it was very good.

Top Bottom