What's new

Question about canned foam, do you still use it?

Do any of you still used canned foam now and then at home? I can see those that travel using canned foam you can feel free to post but I was more curious about those that may still use it now and then at home.

The reason I ask this question is, I was putting away my scuttle in the cabinet under the sink for the summer and was looking for my shave bowl. Of course there sits two new cans of Gillette Sensitive foam that has been sitting since before January 2016 when I got into this type of shaving. I don't recall ever using it since. It got me thinking if anyone else still uses canned foam now and then. Not really interested in grabbing a can since I get such wonderful shaves with the soaps and creams I have. But the more I think about it the more desire I get to give it a try. I am not sure if it is good anymore though. If it isn't I can take it to the rifle range and use them for target practice.

To top it off I still have a number of twin blade disposables I haven't touched in that long either. I tried giving them to my friend before i got him into DE shaving and he didn't want them, maybe should give those a try also. I just don't think I could do my ATG pass with those though, they might be too rough to do that.

No, but I never really used it much to begin with. In fact as I write this I don't think I've ever actually shaved with it, just sort of played around with it as a curiosity. I'm not sure why; I just never really felt like it was something I would actually want or need to use.

You should try them though if you're interested.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use Barbasol occasionally at home as it brings back memories of a wonderful tour of the USA and a visit to Pasteur's in New York. I get just as good a shave with it as with any other soap I own, but I prefer a vintage hard soap and a brush for 99% of the time. Barbasol canned foam was introduced in the 1950s so it can certainly be considered as traditional shaving, whatever that means. Disposables are also perfectly fine, I prefer a Bic Metal or Gillette Trac 2, many people use them frequently or for travel. Give the foam and disposable a try, you may be surprised how good a shave you get, especially now you have some DE experience.

No. I’ve never gone back to try foam. I can’t see any purpose in it. I have used cartridges for travel.

However, you already have some foam. Why not give it a try with your regular DE razor. Let us know how it goes.

I don't know how soon I will do it but certainly should give it a shot before I do something else with them.

There is only one way for you to scratch that itch and asking us is not it... :)

It wasn't the fact I was asking if I should try it again, I was just wondering if others had gone back and tried it. I just never gave it a thought over the years and happen to see them two cans laying way in the back. Yes, I might have to try it again before I do something else with them. Just hopefully one of them is still good after 8-9 years.

I use Barbasol occasionally at home as it brings back memories of a wonderful tour of the USA and a visit to Pasteur's in New York. I get just as good a shave with it as with any other soap I own, but I prefer a vintage hard soap and a brush for 99% of the time. Barbasol canned foam was introduced in the 1950s so it can certainly be considered as traditional shaving, whatever that means. Disposables are also perfectly fine, I prefer a Bic Metal or Gillette Trac 2, many people use them frequently or for travel. Give the foam and disposable a try, you may be surprised how good a shave you get, especially now you have some DE experience.

Yeah, I am going to have to give it a shot one more time to see the difference. When I switched to DE shaving and started lathering soaps it felt so much better on the face and skin. I never really liked Barbasol, from the time I started shaving some 40 years ago I tried a few different foams over the years. Never did buy the more expensive gels foams. I remember using Colgate and then found the Gillette Sensitive skin shave cream in the green can stuck with it until this faze. I can't remember the cartridges I used, something like Atra I think or maybe it was the Trac II, it was twin blade, swivel head and I used the ones with the lube strip. Once they went up in price I switched to the disposables I used last, Bic Sensitive twin with the two color lube strip. Not sure how well they will work since I make a thicker lather but maybe give them a shot along with the cream again just to be nostalgic. If it clogs with my lather no loss since I don't use them anymore.

I have some mini cans of Prep brand Italian shaving cream. I've used it for travel a few times, but mainly I use it for home haircuts. It's for cleaning up around the neck and sides when the main haircut is done. It's very quick and easy.

I don't think I've ever used canned foam. Not technically, anyway. I used to use Edge shaving gel, back when I was first shaving. Then, years later, I went straight from that to Bigelow in a tube.

I do about 50 shaves a year with canned cream. I use Proraso green (my favorite), Gillette (Barbershop fresh or Foamy Original), Clubman or Barbasol. All work well but the Proraso is first followed closely by the Gillette.

Yes, I do. When I am pressed for time, it works well enough for me. I like both Gillette Foamy and Barbasol.

I used to just apply it dry with my fingers when I shaved with disposables. After I joined B&B, I learned to apply it with a brush and to use a bit of water as well. This made the slick properties better for me for whatever reason.

I have a new can of Barbasol but haven't used it in the year and a half since I made the Big Switch.
I confess the ease of using canned goo appeals to me sometimes but when I'm in a hurry or just not in the mood to whip up shaving soap, I just grab some Cremo off the shelf. It takes little time to apply, works beautifully for me, it's nice and slick and it's economical as well.

I don't think I've ever used canned foam. Not technically, anyway. I used to use Edge shaving gel, back when I was first shaving. Then, years later, I went straight from that to Bigelow in a tube.

I will count gel as canned foam. I think I tried some gel one time, can't remember which, and it turns to foam when rubbing on the face, or at least the stuff I bought did. Couldn't see paying more for it than Gillette so I went back.

I have a new can of Barbasol but haven't used it in the year and a half since I made the Big Switch.
I confess the ease of using canned goo appeals to me sometimes but when I'm in a hurry or just not in the mood to whip up shaving soap, I just grab some Cremo off the shelf. It takes little time to apply, works beautifully for me, it's nice and slick and it's economical as well.

Shortly after I found this type of shaving I did buy some Cremo to try and I had a bad skin reaction to it. Contacted Cremo about it and they sent me a new tube for free, Cooling I think(it had just come out IIRC). I reluctantly tried that and same reaction, it felt like I had a blow torch pointed at my face.

Top Bottom