What's new

Question about canned foam, do you still use it?

There is nothing wrong with canned foam if one must use it. It smells really good, better than a lot of shaving soaps. The performance isn't as good.

I keep a can to use on my eye glasses. It cleans them and if you wipe it off the lenses instead of washing, it keeps eye glasses from fogging up, which is why I use it. It also keep car windows from fogging up.

To get the best out of your canned foam, let it sit on your face for at least a minute before shaving. And if you haven’t showered, wash your face prior to foaming up.

Can I have your advice? I have been shaving my head for the last 5-6 years with mach 3 and Nivea Gel, I recently bought a leaf thorn, some blades to test, a brush and a haslinger soap. I had so much razor burn and many irritations and I thought that it was something wrong with my technique or the blades but it was the soap, it is not "greasy" enough for the razor to slide, Ι used my Nivea Gel again and everything is fine BUT I want to try something more natural? with better ingredients or just a better product. Any suggestions for a good shaving cream?

Can I have your advice? I have been shaving my head for the last 5-6 years with mach 3 and Nivea Gel, I recently bought a leaf thorn, some blades to test, a brush and a haslinger soap. I had so much razor burn and many irritations and I thought that it was something wrong with my technique or the blades but it was the soap, it is not "greasy" enough for the razor to slide, Ι used my Nivea Gel again and everything is fine BUT I want to try something more natural? with better ingredients or just a better product. Any suggestions for a good shaving cream?

Not familiar with Haslinger soaps so not sure how good they are. Are you looking for a shave soap to lather or would your preference be creams to lather? Not sure about natural ingredients though. For soaps for the ones I tried that are slick is Saponificio Varesino but it is on the expensive side. Razorock is another good soap and affordable. I even found Van Der Hagen Luxury scented soap to be quite slick, they do make an unscented and can likely be found at a Walmart store. They make a glycerin and deluxe soap but not sure how well they perform. Pre de Provence #63 is also quite slick, they also have a shave cream. Captain's choice is another good one. There are hundreds upon hundreds I haven't tried. This is just a few I like.

For creams that you lather with a brush try Proraso, I have used the red tube which is Sandalwood, and the discontinued Single blade Cypress and Vetiver. St, James of London, I have Mandarin and Patchouli and it is a nice cream to lather. This is just a few I have tried.

For canned shave cream I have only ever used Gillette Foamy Sensitive shave cream. Since I began this type of shaving in 2016 I quit using canned stuff but one thing i notice is some of these makers of soaps and creams make canned creams as well. I know Proraso does.

Have you thought about a different razor other than the Leaf? I see it uses half DE blades. Not sure what is out there for mild DE razors since I mainly use Vintage Gillette's. Blades are another thing that can throw a shave off, you can have the best soap in the world but use a blade that doesn't work for you matter how slick the soap/cream is.

I have not used cartridges or disposable twins in over 8 years until last weekend, I did use a Bic twin Sensitive disposable again including the Gillette sensitive shave cream as mentioned in an earlier post here. One thing I noticed is I forgot how much pressure it took to get a decent shave with the disposable. If you are applying this same technique/pressure to the Leaf razor that could be part of your issue with irritation.

You might want to start a post and ask this question. My tastes in soaps and creams are completely different than what you or others might like and find are slick and perform well. Over the 8 years I have probably tried upwards of 50 different soaps. There are a few that people find are slick and the cars meow that I have thought the opposite. Examples are Martin de Candre, a very expensive soap that I thought gave mediocre shaves and a less impressive drying lather. Mitchell's Wool Fat, it was actually slick but very hard to lather and the little lather I got from it would dissipate fast. DR Harris, Geo F Trumper and Taylor of Old Bond Street I did not think they performed well at all.

There is nothing wrong with canned foam if one must use it. It smells really good, better than a lot of shaving soaps. The performance isn't as good.

I keep a can to use on my eye glasses. It cleans them and if you wipe it off the lenses instead of washing, it keeps eye glasses from fogging up, which is why I use it. It also keep car windows from fogging up.

I never heard of using them on eyeglasses, maybe will try. I know I heard rubbing bar soap on a bathroom mirror and buffing it off is supposed to work, maybe I will try this canned shave cream.

I do have to admit that the scent of the Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin is quite nice.

Not familiar with Haslinger soaps so not sure how good they are. Are you looking for a shave soap to lather or would your preference be creams to lather? Not sure about natural ingredients though. For soaps for the ones I tried that are slick is Saponificio Varesino but it is on the expensive side. Razorock is another good soap and affordable. I even found Van Der Hagen Luxury scented soap to be quite slick, they do make an unscented and can likely be found at a Walmart store. They make a glycerin and deluxe soap but not sure how well they perform. Pre de Provence #63 is also quite slick, they also have a shave cream. Captain's choice is another good one. There are hundreds upon hundreds I haven't tried. This is just a few I like.

For creams that you lather with a brush try Proraso, I have used the red tube which is Sandalwood, and the discontinued Single blade Cypress and Vetiver. St, James of London, I have Mandarin and Patchouli and it is a nice cream to lather. This is just a few I have tried.

For canned shave cream I have only ever used Gillette Foamy Sensitive shave cream. Since I began this type of shaving in 2016 I quit using canned stuff but one thing i notice is some of these makers of soaps and creams make canned creams as well. I know Proraso does.

Have you thought about a different razor other than the Leaf? I see it uses half DE blades. Not sure what is out there for mild DE razors since I mainly use Vintage Gillette's. Blades are another thing that can throw a shave off, you can have the best soap in the world but use a blade that doesn't work for you matter how slick the soap/cream is.

I have not used cartridges or disposable twins in over 8 years until last weekend, I did use a Bic twin Sensitive disposable again including the Gillette sensitive shave cream as mentioned in an earlier post here. One thing I noticed is I forgot how much pressure it took to get a decent shave with the disposable. If you are applying this same technique/pressure to the Leaf razor that could be part of your issue with irritation.

You might want to start a post and ask this question. My tastes in soaps and creams are completely different than what you or others might like and find are slick and perform well. Over the 8 years I have probably tried upwards of 50 different soaps. There are a few that people find are slick and the cars meow that I have thought the opposite. Examples are Martin de Candre, a very expensive soap that I thought gave mediocre shaves and a less impressive drying lather. Mitchell's Wool Fat, it was actually slick but very hard to lather and the little lather I got from it would dissipate fast. DR Harris, Geo F Trumper and Taylor of Old Bond Street I did not think they performed well at all.
Thank you so much for your time and the detailed reply!!!
I need to search which ones I can find here in Greece and try them from your list, I think I tend more towards to creams and not soaps at least for now. I bought proraso preshave, the red one so maybe I will try the cream too, it's inexpensive too. Everything is so new to me and I want to try them all at once :) Ι will try many blades too, I am about to order a few to test. Nacet's seems really good but it's just the beggining. I think I will stay with the leaf for a while but I will buy more in the future. I know most products are different to each person but at least by asking someone's opinion you can avoid the very bad products.
Thank you again so much!!!

Two years ago. I was “required” to live in a hotel for about a month, between ships. I used Gillette gel and BIC 3 blade fixed helad travel razor. Had to add quite a bit of water, a lot of buffing was required.

Perhaps there is an ingredient in the soap your skin doesn’t agree with.

I can’t use Cella soap because it gives me a burning reaction (do a search for “Cella burn” on this site and you will see quite a few people experience this).

Try rubbing the soap on your forearm and see if you have a reaction.

I'll use Barbasol Red on occasion. Had a can of some other stuff, had a purple cap, might have had the word gel in the name. Don't remember brand though. I get a good shave with those canned foams.

I like Barbasol once in a while if I'm in a pinch. Never applied by hand though. It likes a damp brush. It's perfectly adequate imo, just not as fun.

Thank you so much for your time and the detailed reply!!!
I need to search which ones I can find here in Greece and try them from your list, I think I tend more towards to creams and not soaps at least for now. I bought proraso preshave, the red one so maybe I will try the cream too, it's inexpensive too. Everything is so new to me and I want to try them all at once :) Ι will try many blades too, I am about to order a few to test. Nacet's seems really good but it's just the beggining. I think I will stay with the leaf for a while but I will buy more in the future. I know most products are different to each person but at least by asking someone's opinion you can avoid the very bad products.
Thank you again so much!!!

There are a lot of creams out there for lathering, I have only named a few that I use. I don't know what is available in Greece but if they have a specialty shop for shaving check that out, a pharmacy or drugstore, maybe a grocery store. You will just have to try some that are available. Not sure what shops you have that you can order from but look at the shave cream section. A lot I haven't tried are Lea, Omega, you could try Taylor of Old Bond street, I didn't care for it but a lot of people do, Speick I did try and it was OK, Cella, Palmolive in the green tube is decent. This is just a few more. It ends up to be more trial and error to find something that works. You might even run into some that may give you a reaction, the worst one for me is Cremo, I though my face was on fire, so this is something to be aware of when trying creams and soaps.

I don't mind sharing my experiences. You're are welcome.

Perhaps there is an ingredient in the soap your skin doesn’t agree with.

I can’t use Cella soap because it gives me a burning reaction (do a search for “Cella burn” on this site and you will see quite a few people experience this).

Try rubbing the soap on your forearm and see if you have a reaction.
I would never thought about that, I will try! I think the problem with that soap is that is not slick enough. Thank you so much for your reply!

There are a lot of creams out there for lathering, I have only named a few that I use. I don't know what is available in Greece but if they have a specialty shop for shaving check that out, a pharmacy or drugstore, maybe a grocery store. You will just have to try some that are available. Not sure what shops you have that you can order from but look at the shave cream section. A lot I haven't tried are Lea, Omega, you could try Taylor of Old Bond street, I didn't care for it but a lot of people do, Speick I did try and it was OK, Cella, Palmolive in the green tube is decent. This is just a few more. It ends up to be more trial and error to find something that works. You might even run into some that may give you a reaction, the worst one for me is Cremo, I though my face was on fire, so this is something to be aware of when trying creams and soaps.

I don't mind sharing my experiences. You're are welcome.
Frito Ray also mentioned about the reaction with some soaps, I wouldn't have thought that! I still think that it's not slick enough but I have to try. We have two big e-shops that bring good products but mostly from Europe. I will try Taylor of Old Bond Street, they have good reviews on their products, also Truefitt & Hill but they are more on the expesive side.
Thank you again!

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Funny, I was just on another thread and mentioned that, if scent were the deciding factor, I’d use nothing but Barbasol. I haven’t used canned foam in probably 30 years, but, I can still smell Barbasol.

I never use foam now, not even for travel. A stick of Arko and a stiff boar brush go in my Dopp kit.

I remember when Wally World used to sell Barbisol for around 50¢ a can. It was just the thing for having a shaving cream fight with a bunch of kids.

Funny, I was just on another thread and mentioned that, if scent were the deciding factor, I’d use nothing but Barbasol. I haven’t used canned foam in probably 30 years, but, I can still smell Barbasol.

I never use foam now, not even for travel. A stick of Arko and a stiff boar brush go in my Dopp kit.

I don't remember what Barbasol scents I tried years ago but went back to Gillette. When I grabbed the can of Gillette Foamy Sensitive I forgot how good the scent was. It's mild but leaves a nice scent behind, almost don't need AS.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Not even Proraso in the can?
No, Sir. In my local stores Proraso is usually precisely lined up on the shelves: soap, cream, foam (to keep the brand all together). The first two have always been my choice, being an old school wet shaver. Never used any canned stuff.

Top Bottom