What's new

Question about canned foam, do you still use it?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I do not find the (very) few extra seconds to lather with a brush are trifling. A warm, lubricious lather beats the wham out of using canned foam. It also is much more friendly to the planet.

Yes. Nivea Sensitive gel.

Mainly because I love the smell. I pair it with the Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm when I do.

Sometimes I even squirt it into a cup and lather it with my brush.

Not a fan of the Barbasol scent and don't have any Gillette products at the moment.

I do not find the (very) few extra seconds to lather with a brush are trifling. A warm, lubricious lather beats the wham out of using canned foam. It also is much more friendly to the planet.

I am retired so I have plenty of time to make lather. Even when I worked after I found this type of shaving I always seemed to find time, if I was short on time I would just skip a day and shave on the 3rd day.

I'm not sure lathering is much more friendly to the environment when one throws out a plastic tub versus a tin can.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am retired so I have plenty of time to make lather. Even when I worked after I found this type of shaving I always seemed to find time, if I was short on time I would just skip a day and shave on the 3rd day.

I'm not sure lathering is much more friendly to the environment when one throws out a plastic tub versus a tin can.
Try a wooden bowl.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Never again. I use a shave stick when traveling. But I don't care if anyone else uses it. It's not a religious thing with me, I just don't like it as well as the other alternatives. In your situation I wouldn't be surprised to find myself trying a canned shave for a day to see the difference. I'm the curious sort.

I much prefer to bowl lather a soap or cream, but I always have a can around for a surprise or emergency quick-shave.

I like travel cans and try different brands for fun. Tried Gillettes, Edges, Barbasols, Aveenos and Prorasos (my favorite). Will try Nivea next.

Never again. I use a shave stick when traveling. But I don't care if anyone else uses it. It's not a religious thing with me, I just don't like it as well as the other alternatives. In your situation I wouldn't be surprised to find myself trying a canned shave for a day to see the difference. I'm the curious sort.

That is just it, after seeing those cans sitting under the sink it did make me curious since it has been over 8 years since I used shave cream in a can. I am going to try it tomorrow and will likely report back here.

I much prefer to bowl lather a soap or cream, but I always have a can around for a surprise or emergency quick-shave.

I like travel cans and try different brands for fun. Tried Gillettes, Edges, Barbasols, Aveenos and Prorasos (my favorite). Will try Nivea next.

I only remember trying Gillette, Barbasol and Colgate. I kind of remember trying a gel but can't remember which, IIRC it cost more for the same shave as I went back to the cheaper stuff. I don't ever recall seeing Nivea shave cream in the past. A few years back I was looking through some shave creams on one of the online stores and saw Proraso in a can, that made me a little curious as to whether it was as good as the brush shave creams, what I have tried is red and now Cypress and Vetyver that is discontinued.

A few years back I was looking through some shave creams on one of the online stores and saw Proraso in a can, that made me a little curious as to whether it was as good as the brush shave creams, what I have tried is red and now Cypress and Vetyver that is discontinue

The canned Proraso is not quite as good as the tube or tub, but since I tend to use it up faster (i.e. small cans) the scent stays fresher…tub might last a year or two in rotation.

1717786249664.png

This morning I did test out the old canned lather. I was reluctant to use the Bic Sensitive twin blade but it actually did quite well and ended up with a really good shave. A few things I forgot about canned lather is:
1. It is really messy compared brush and shave bowl.
2. I have to rinse just about every stroke so as not to clog the razor.
3. The scent is quite nice, mild but a really pleasant smell.
4. The amount of pressure needed to get the razor to cut like it should.

It has been about 3 hours and do fell a little more irritation than if I were to have used a soap/cream and my DE. I am going to have to try it with my favorite DE razor, Gillette Slim, and see how well it works with that. Than at some point I might have to try this razor with one of my creams or soaps, not sure how it will work out since I like my lather on the thick side. I might have trouble rinsing the razor out and maybe clog it, Wouldn't really be much of a loss I have at least 6 more of them that aren't getting used anytime soon.

No!

Decades ago I started with cream in a tube. Then for a few years went to the Dark side - foams and even bought gels a few times in the army.

I am a Jedi again now. :lol: At least for the last 15-20 years.

No!

Decades ago I started with cream in a tube. Then for a few years went to the Dark side - foams and even bought gels a few times in the army.

I am a Jedi again now. :lol: At least for the last 15-20 years.

I had it already and had to try it since it has been 8 1/2 years. Even though I have 2 cans I have no desire to buy any new cans. These two cans will likely end up being used at the rifle range!:a33:

i have a couple of the tiny Proraso for travel (only when I need to go super light) and a large one of the Proraso White on hand for guests or the rare time I have to rush a shave. I think I'll use it tomorrow just to mix things up

It's been a few decades since walking away from the canned stuff. I've been using some variant of soap (liquid, hard, castille) since, though I'd a small experiment for a couple of years using a shave oil. I recall it was not as cushioning as I'd have liked and I could never really get past the chemically smells: too much for my proboscis. I think the last can I had was Edge Gel.

Yes. 90% of my shaves, I bowl mix soap. However, when pressed for time, I use either 'Smartly (smells like the ocean) a Target store brand, or Orange cap Barbasol (for sensitive skin).

Not once since I started wet shaving.

If I do not want to use a brush, I use Cremo.

I cringe every time I hear Cremo. I tried the stuff shortly after I started in 2016 and it felt like I put a blow torch to my face. It took a day or two for my face to feel normal again.

So it does seem a good percentage still use it now and then. Sometime in the near future I will have to try it with my DE razor instead of the twin disposable and see how good of a shave I get.

Top Bottom