What's new

Souvenir from Hawaii

The resin may have made the texture a bit smoother since most of the voids were filled, but it still has a rough feel to it similar to the texture of a granite river rock. Not glass smooth, but it's not going to rub the flesh from the bone either.

Will this be a face lathering brush? My fear would be that it would experience wear when or if it comes in contact with the bowl or scuttle. But like others have mentioned, you've done some great work to the coral.

Will this be a face lathering brush? My fear would be that it would experience wear when or if it comes in contact with the bowl or scuttle. But like others have mentioned, you've done some great work to the coral.
I'll be using to face lather. It would certainly cause wear, especially ceramic and glass, mugs and scuttles.

Did you happen to bring in Koa wood back? That wood looks great...especially on a guitar. A piece that small might be more accessible.
I'd love to get to pick around some of the left-overs from when they are making Taylor Guitars.

Did you happen to bring in Koa wood back? That wood looks great...especially on a guitar. A piece that small might be more accessible.
I'd love to get to pick around some of the left-overs from when they are making Taylor Guitars.
It never would have made it past customs, but had I had the opportunity and permission, I would have.

I wasn't aware that it would make it through customs. Oh well. Burly Black Walnut here I come...or in a few weeks.

It never would have made it past customs, but had I had the opportunity and permission, I would have.

There's a vendor at the local swap meet who sells koa wood scraps for cheap. They must be woodworkers because the pieces weren't rough. I was going through the pile last weekend thinking "if only I had a lathe and could turn brushes..."

Taking koa from the forest is definitely illegal. Some years ago a group of chronics went to jail for illegally cutting down koa trees and then selling the wood to unscrupulous woodworking businesses.

That coral brush is nice and definitely unique!

I wasn't aware that it would make it through customs. Oh well. Burly Black Walnut here I come...or in a few weeks.

There's a vendor at the local swap meet who sells koa wood scraps for cheap. They must be woodworkers because the pieces weren't rough. I was going through the pile last weekend thinking "if only I had a lathe and could turn brushes..."

Taking koa from the forest is definitely illegal. Some years ago a group of chronics went to jail for illegally cutting down koa trees and then selling the wood to unscrupulous woodworking businesses.

That coral brush is nice and definitely unique!
Yep, aside from tourist, not much comes in or leaves Hawaii.

I've been pretty busy lately. So busy infact that it took me nearly 6 months to get around to this project.
Last September I took my first trip to Hawaii for a short vacation. While there I went to the beach and came across an area with a bunch of chunks of dead coral washed up onto the beach.
After doing some online research, I found out that it is completely legal to take some back stateside as long as the coral is completely dead. So I brought back a good sized chunk to make a shaving brush handle.
Due to its porous nature, I first stabilized the coral in stablizing resin.
Though not quite as hard a stone, the coral had a significant toll on my tools.
Here are some pictures.

This is what the chuck of coral looked like before sanding down a rectangular blank.
View attachment 867321
Here is the completed brush with a 24mm finest badger knot before blooming from its first use. The gray, which gives it more character, is from an abrasive powder to help sand it smooth.
View attachment 867324

Here it is after washing and blooming the knot.
View attachment 867327
It will be a sad day if I ever drop and break this handle, but it would give a really good excuse to return to Hawaii!
That is amazing !! Must be nice to have a work of art you can use that you created yourself. VERY cool !!!

Dave that is so cool! And a first for me at least, I’ve never seen one made out of coral. Great idea and brilliant execution, the brush is stunning. Stabilizing was a good idea too, I have a feeling your shop would be covered with coral dust if you wouldn’t have. Between your fantastic acrylic blanks and now this, you’ve set the bar extremely high for us hobby guys!

That is amazing !! Must be nice to have a work of art you can use that you created yourself. VERY cool !!!

Dave that is so cool! And a first for me at least, I’ve never seen one made out of coral. Great idea and brilliant execution, the brush is stunning. Stabilizing was a good idea too, I have a feeling your shop would be covered with coral dust if you wouldn’t have. Between your fantastic acrylic blanks and now this, you’ve set the bar extremely high for us hobby guys!

Holy cow that's one heck of a brush
Thank you gentlemen!
I actually do have quite a bit of calcium dust to clean up still. before stabilizing the coral, i used a disk sander to more or less shape a triangular blank. It was quick, but made a mess. I wore my respirator and goggles, had my garage door open and three fans blowing out the dust in the air, and required a shower after it was said and done.
I had a lot of fun making this handle and really wished I had the proper tools and setup to work with other/harder natural materials.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Very Nice Dave . really rough on the tools as you said ,How often did you have to put the edge back on ?

Very Nice Dave . really rough on the tools as you said ,How often did you have to put the edge back on ?
Thank you Steve.
Thankfully the tools I have on hand got the job done without having to stop, so I'll only need to sharpen them once. A homemade tool, made from a screw diver, will probably not recover. The steel just ate away!

Top Bottom