What's new

Souvenir from Hawaii

I've been pretty busy lately. So busy infact that it took me nearly 6 months to get around to this project.
Last September I took my first trip to Hawaii for a short vacation. While there I went to the beach and came across an area with a bunch of chunks of dead coral washed up onto the beach.
After doing some online research, I found out that it is completely legal to take some back stateside as long as the coral is completely dead. So I brought back a good sized chunk to make a shaving brush handle.
Due to its porous nature, I first stabilized the coral in stablizing resin.
Though not quite as hard a stone, the coral had a significant toll on my tools.
Here are some pictures.

This is what the chuck of coral looked like before sanding down a rectangular blank.
20180313_164123.jpg

Here is the completed brush with a 24mm finest badger knot before blooming from its first use. The gray, which gives it more character, is from an abrasive powder to help sand it smooth.
20180313_164058.jpg

Here it is after washing and blooming the knot.
20180313_164037.jpg

It will be a sad day if I ever drop and break this handle, but it would give a really good excuse to return to Hawaii!

Beautiful brush!! I love it.

But...Pele is going to get you for taking that coral home with you!!!

Maybe you're in the clear if the coral grows in the ocean and not one of the older Hawaiian islands that are atolls. It wouldn't be part of the islands. No need to get an insurance policy--yet. I am in awe of that brush.

Just breathtaking! What a project!

And, factoring in the airfare, by far the most expensive brush I’ve ever seen!!

Very cool. I am eager to hear how the resin solidified the coral and offered anything different to the touch, if anything.

How polished does the coral feel now? Is it still rough to the touch at all?

Very cool. I am eager to hear how the resin solidified the coral and offered anything different to the touch, if anything.
The resin may have made the texture a bit smoother since most of the voids were filled, but it still has a rough feel to it similar to the texture of a granite river rock. Not glass smooth, but it's not going to rub the flesh from the bone either.

Top Bottom