SOTD "GERMAN THEME WEEK" July 10th - July 16th, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
German Hattric splash
Gillette SA + Voskhod ( 2)
Envy white supreme badger
MEM olive cream
proxy.php

Classy B&W picture, Zalan. I love the soft texture of the photo.

After a no shave Monday, a great shave with the Fat. The Canadian 38-45 Tech loaded with a new Astra SP sliced through the whiskers with ease and left me smooooooth. No after care as I am leaving for work at 530.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Teck Canada Fat Handle
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 10005
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

07/10/17 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Barrister's Reserve Classic Shaving Soap Sample
RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Blackland Blackbird Open Comb Polished Razor with 85mm Handle
Personna Blue Comfort Coated Blade - 6th Shave
RazoRock Alum Stick
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Brut Classic Scent Splash-On
NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm

View attachment 803284

Dandy closely scattered array shot, Steve. I like the way you use the C&E bar soap.

07/11/17 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Barrister's Reserve Classic Shaving Soap Sample
RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Blackland Blackbird Safety Bar Polished Razor with 85mm Handle
Voskhod Teflon Coated Russian Blade - 1st Shave
RazoRock Alum Stick
Homemade Mandarin Generic Distilled Witch Hazel
Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic
NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm

View attachment 803297

Rich variation of your previous shave, Steve. Love all of the reds.

Jamie's Menthol Monday Night shave. 7/10/17

1. Beehive alchemy peppermint pre shave oil (etsy seller, awesome coldness).
2. Stirling frozen tundra.
3. Semogue 610
4. Schick injector type N, Japan Twin schick blade (3rd shave).
5. thayers Lavender mint / Floid Vigeroso / Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm.

Handsome lineup of another chilling shave, Jamie. Other than the chill, how is the Beehive Alchemy pre-shave oil? Have you tried any of their soaps? I'm looking for one of those Type N Schicks; like that handle length.

Oleo Soapworks - "Pucker"
Island Bladeworks "Stoya" | Elite Razor Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)
Chatillon Lux - "Colbeck"

proxy.php

This was my first time using Oleo Soapworks. I chose "Pucker" because it utilizes what appears to be their premium tallow base codenamed "Cellini Lusso". I've just learned that this is the artisan's freshman outing, and it doesn't seem like it. A usable lather came quickly with a moderately damp knot and proceeded to yield a dense creamy foundation. Glide was excellent, and there was excellent residual slickness when the visible lather was completely gone. However, the slickness had a relatively short time limit on it, and once it was gone, there's no reconstituting it. It resulted in a very comfortable pass, regardless. For the second pass, I had to reload the knot because what was there previously had regressed quite a bit. Again, a very nice quality, paintable lather was easily obtained, and BBS was achieved in just over two passes. I suspect the short-lived lather was susceptible to my hard water. There was zero irritation, and the post shave was excellent. My skin really likes jojoba oil, and this soap utilizes it well.

There were no surprises from the as-advertised citrus fragrance. That's not to say it was contrived, mind you. Amateur lemony fragrances often run the risk of smelling like overly sweet cleaning products, but Pucker was well done. It was sharp--approaching bitter---but in a very good way. The lime came through before the completion of the first pass and maintained that lovely, bold citrus that suggested not only the fleshy fruit, but also the peel. I was pleased that Pucker took the natural fruit approach as opposed to the candy sweet version.

After the final rinse, the fragrance was still lingering, and the lime note was at the forefront. This is primarily what made me decide on Chatillon Lux's Colbeck aftershave as the lime was just begging for gin.

Overall, I'm happy with Oleo Soapworks' base, and it's clearly ahead of what I've come to expect from freshman soapmakers. It will take a few more uses to develop a final verdict, but the outlook is good. While I don't doubt my hard water plays a role in the somewhat minor shortcomings I experienced, the leading artisans overcome this obstacle. Oleo should be on your radar.

Outstanding photo, Matt. Your elements seem to be fading into the whitewash background leaving only the color behind. Neat effect. Excellent review. I checked their website and Pucker is out of stock. I'll keep an eye on the site and maybe order another soap if Pucker doesn't show up soon.

Arlington
Doug Korn D7 Shavemac D01 Silvertip
Edwin Jagger Black & Gold

Regards
proxy.php

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

proxy.php

Date: 12 July 2017

Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

Another excellent day at SOTD, gentlemen. Tuesday's photos, descriptive posts and commentary were exemplary. Thank you for each contribution.

I'll try to add more comments on Wednesday. But it's now time to bid everyone a good evening. See you soon.

Razor: Otto Busch Weltmeister

Strop: Scrupleworks Oil Tanned

Soap: SdM Mandarin Orange

Brush: WW Custom Badger

Aftershave #1: Thayer’s WH

Aftershave #2: Lucky Tiger w/M&L Florida Water

Talc: Clubman

IMG_6754.jpg

Miércoles 12 Julio 2017

• Edwin Jagger Pre Shave Lotion
• Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian Tortoiseshell
• Barrister & Mann 42
• Blackland Sabre
• GEM PTFE (1)
• Myrsol Agua de Limón

proxy.php

Wednesday:

Semogue OC 2-B
Proraso white soap
Gillette Goodwill 162
Elios
Guerlain Habit Rouge ***
Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT
proxy.php

Lovely display, Søren. Good looking Rotbard. How does it perform?

Thank you Ron :001_smile

The Rotbart is a nice performer and it is a little on the aggressive side - at least with the Perma Sharp blade.
I prefer a mild razor and it is noticeable more aggressive than a Tech, but not in a way that makes it uncomfortable. As I recall, I have had better shaves so it might just be the Perma Sharp that doesn't suit this razor.

2017-07-12

Horn bowl ¤ Semogue Owners Club, Ash ¤ Gillette Tech + Merkur Super
RazoRock Caprician Lemon ¤ Myrsol Agua De Limón ¤ T&H Freshman

proxy.php

No German theme yet, but coming up soon. Have a great day and shaves Gents... :punk:
IMG_0919.JPG

Ron, in response to one of your previous questions concerning the Blackland Sabre. A wonderfully mild but efficient razor, a la Brass General. The handle is very nicely done, with a good amount of grip and texture. A true pleasure of a razor.....

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Feather - AS-D2
  • Blade: Feather - Black
  • Shaving Brush: Whipped Dog - 30mm (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: Polish Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo - Arancione
  • After-Shave: Sapone Di Paolo - Agrume
  • Fragrance: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - No 74 Victorian Lime

July 12, 2017​
Wolfman Ti OC (.74mm)​
Feather​
30 DC LE with Omega Boar​
Reef Point Tranquility​
Fine Lavender​

Status
Not open for further replies.