Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Soap: Zingari Man the Nomad
Brush: Ever Ready 200 with Rudy Vey Manchurian Fan
Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood​

IMG_6603.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 29th, Thur, 2020

Razor:Gillette old type with a tech fat handle-Mfg in the 1920's, to brass this head that much prior owners must of shaved 10,000 times >?The person who had this last before me had paper wedged in handle, so his technique was unique, squeeze & stroke!:detective:
Blade: Gillette 7 oClock Black- I enjoy this blade for it's smoothness, similar to the GSB without the wax spots.
Soap: Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood- 1st tub used up, love the scent they have mastered by TOBS. Good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- good brush to use to clean the last of my Sandal wood cream, excellent brush.
Soft tips with good backbone & good lather creator.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser, + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red Sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Different type of shave with this vintage Gillette old type razor.

OCtober 29th, Thur, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Wednesday night shave

50B3000F-DF4A-4B54-BE29-63A043168861.jpeg

Prep: Ivory in the shower
Soap: The Goodfellas' Smile Abysso
Brush: Simpson 46 Best Badger
Razor: Yaqi Beast on RazoRock radio knob handle
Blade: Astra SP (#2)
Post: Alum followed by hyaluronic acid followed by vintage Aqua Velva aftershave

I originally bought the Beast to put me over the top for free shipping on an order. I had assumed, mistakenly as it turned out, that it was the same as the RazoRock SLOC, which gets great reviews as a mild, very efficient razor. Turns out that was the Yaqi Mellon not the Beast. Oops. The Beast has a similar open comb cap, but a scalloped safety bar instead of another open comb on the base. In preparing to use it for the first time last night I found a couple of reviews that said R41-level aggressiveness or Slim setting 9. Well, I haven't used the R41 yet, but I did find the Slim on 9 to be relatively uncomfortable. So, I tried to tread lightly. Good news is no cuts or weepers, but i definitely felt the alum pretty much all over my face. There is a lot of blade feel on this razor and I'm finding out that's not my favorite characteristic. I did manage a DFS in two passes, but my face felt a little raw. I'll try riding the cap more tonight and an even lighter touch. Might try a steeper angle, too.

EC29F64A-CAB6-46B4-A395-F844BCE0F771.jpeg

SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 29, 2020

My son has 182 straight razors in his collection, 93 of whose blades are Japanese silver steel or Yasuki steel. I have a much smaller collection - all are users - but three are Japanese silver steel. The razor selected for today’s mug shave is a Tanifuji Airi. The jasper edge is a joy to shave with, and is amazingly sharp, yet still buttery smooth. Some on the dedicated straight forums describe ‘whisker-meltin’ edges and this razor definitely possesses one. This morning’s three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) shave felt like I was just brushing away the rich MWF lather.

There appeared to be a slight weeper after my second mug pass, but it disappeared after I applied the lather for my third and final pass. That’s one of the benefits of MWF that is a feature of its consistent use. It truly conditions one’s skin with long-term use. Of course, it possesses a clean, mild soapy scent, and not one of the strong scents so popular with most wet-shavers. It’s these very differences of opinion that makes this hobby of ours so enjoyable. As a daily shaver, I use MWF generally about 4 out of 7 shaves a week. Creams are a different story!

My dome shave starred my Ronson safety razor! It was developed for proprietary blades in the very early 30s (1931), but works beautifully with Schick Proline Injector blades, although it is admittedly a bit fiddly to set up. Although a bit top heavy, that is not a problem and works beautifully for me. It is a surprisingly capable little safety razor, and one I’m proud to own. It delivered an extremely close dome shave in two ATG passes. I feel cool, clean and smoothly velveteen!

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Proline Injector (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Hybrid Knot #007
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

S.O.T.D - Thursday, October 29, 2020
Pre-shave:- RazoRock Charcoal Lime PreShave Soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Roger Quintero 3D Printed
Brush:- AP Shave Co. Winter Hulk 30mm
Soap/Cream:- PAA Ciderhouse Five
Razor/Blade:- Shick Adjustable Injector (M1)/Schick (2)
Post:- RazoRock Ultimate Alum / Thayers Cucumber WH / Nivea Men's Sensitive Balm
After-shave:- PAA Ciderhouse Five

Shave # 2 with the Schick Adjustable/Schick blade combo, still very impressed with how good this razor is, this is without a doubt the smoothest shaver in my den. My favorite setup thus far has been a Rockwell 6C/4 plate with a GSB. This feels every bit as sharp and smooth as that setup but just seem to have less drag. I have decided to just keep using this setup to test the longevity of the blade, so far I think we have a winner.
20201029_101808.jpg

Thursday, 10/29:

20201029_102141.jpg

Razor - Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed
Blade - Gillette Nacet
Brush - Zenith 28mm boar
Soap - WSP Tobacco (Rustic)
A/S - Proraso Cypress & Vetiver

Fantastic shave! This boar brush is turning out to be awesome. Even at 28mm, it isn't overly big and can churn lather out of these small WSP tins. I got a phenomenal lather from the WSP Rustic formula, every bit as good as Formula T in all categories. Truly terrific stuff, and if you don't count fragrance, only 6 ingredients! Amazing! The residual is crazy on WSP products, even fully hydrated. The scent is great too, a fresh green tobacco. The Superspeed performed beautifully with the Nacet loaded, cruising effortlessly. I'm cautiously optimistic about these blades. The end result is a surprisingly super close shave and soft, smooth skin. Very happy with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom