What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 8th - July 14th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Merkur Progress w/Persona Red//Rudy Vey w/Plisson synth//Wheat State Soaps//Kiehl's a/s balm//Dior Fahrenheit EdT

SOTD, Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Saponificio Varesino shave soap
Dovo badger brush
Merkur Vision safety razor + no-name stainless blade
Cool washcloth rinse
Pitralon Classic aftershave

proxy.php

SOTD
HEAD AND FACE.

Timeless Titanium .95OC
Simpson's Chubby 2 Super for face
Simpson's Chubby 2 Best for head
Astra SP x3 for both
Boellis Panama 1924 for face
PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa for head
Post shave.. Osage Rub and Proraso Green Balm.
Had Lots of time today to shave. Decided to do a comparison between 2 of my top 5 soap bases.
Face shave was Timeless Titanium .95OC, Astra SP x3, Boellis Panama 1924, Simpson's Chubby 2 Super and face lather.

Head shave was Timeless Titanium .95OC, Astra SP x3, Simpson's Chubby 2 Best and head lather.

Face
20190710_122724-jpg.997996

Head
20190710_130026-jpg.997997

Both shaves were great. The Boellis Panama 1924 does need a light post shave balm. Residual slickness is good but postshave its lacking just a little. The PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa on the other hand didn't need a postshave. Got BBS shave from both but the Panama 1924 did require a postshave balm. For both I used Osage Rub and Proraso Green AS Balm to keep things even. 10 more bucks for the PannaCrema Nuavia, Yes! Scent on both is fantastic. Panama 1924 classic Italian with Almond and cherry. PannaCrema definitely more complex.

Have great shaves!

7/10/19
C.O. Bigelow
Simpson Duke #2 in Best Badger
Merkur 37C Slant Bar
Personna Red (2)
Osma Alum Block
Pitralon
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Versace Pour Homme
SOTD7-10-19.jpg

Wholly Kaw | Nightcap | SFWS 2019
Island Bladeworks | Stoya | Elite Razor Manchurian
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

proxy.php

Thursday SOTD
proxy.php

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge
Blade: Schick (D4)
Brush: Vie-Long Silvertip Fiber 24mm
Bowl: Castle Shave 4 1/4"
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Enigma
Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Lemon Lime Chill
Shave Soap: MAOL & Grooming Dept FrankinLime
Balm: Castle Forbes Lime
Aftershave: Shulton Old Spice Lime
Cologne: Shulton Old Spice Lime

SOTD : 11th JULY 2019.

12.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Lemon Flower Extracts Transparent Soap.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword.

Bowl: Tesco's (UK) Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Proraso White Sensitive.

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium.(3)

Razor: Muhle R41.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Boots ~ Freshwood ASL +Aftershave Balm.

Greetings,

Another early morning shave.

When i first ventured into the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving like everyone else i was totally naive and inexperienced and jumped in with both feet buying various shaving items based solely on the looks rather than knowing anything about them and because everyone else had them on display in their SOTD set ups.

My first few early experiences with the muhle R41 '2013 version' where to be honest horrible! i had nicks & irritation with every shave. I purchased the R41 on impulse at the time i thought the seller may have sent me a 'faulty razor' thinking this was why it was so aggressive for me or i was using a dodgy batch of blades however, it never accured to me that the major contributor to my horrible first outings with the Muhle R41 was down to 'yours truly', through ignorance, lack of good preparation technique, & shaving confidence of which in my case i was lacking in all.

The R41 alone has taught me to train my mind to "Shave the lather from my face,rather than the stubble," adding to that,using the weight of the razor and blade without adding any pressure at all,with this in mind my shaves with the R41 vastly improved,after that i applied this train of thought each time i shaved regardless if the razor was aggressive or non-aggressive, with patience respect of the razor & gaining my shaving confidence i was rewarded with sublime error free shaves.

The R41 is an aggressive/efficient razor, or should i say can be aggressive if the person shaving with it makes it aggressive. Any razor can be aggressive and cause irritation & give you nicks if you don't treat it with respect ,learn your technique and gain shaving confidence and don't become a complacent shaving idiot blaming the problems you've created on your shaving items.With my shaving experience growing i found mastering my technique and gaining my shaving confidence the assertive muhle R41 is actually better than a milder razor for reducing irritation as it mows through stubble more efficiently requiring less passes.

My shave today i only required 2 passes + a pick up pass for a 'BBS' shave ,normally i do a 3 pass + a pick up pass to get the near same results. As always razor choices and opinions are very subjective.A superb efficient semi-open comb german made razor which will always be a firm favourite of mine.

The Proraso Sensitive Soap provided me with slick protective lather for the shave leaving a equally good post shave feel. Out of the 3 proraso soaps i've tried i find the sensitive the best for its slickness.

A very comfortable 2 pass + pick ups bbs smooth shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a generous dollop of Boots ~ Freshwood aftershave balm.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited (3).jpg

THURSDAY SOTD
RR German 37 Slant HD handle / Shark SS (2) / Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger / Pre de Provence​

11 July 19
Razor:
Gillette New short comb
Blade: Nacet stainless (5)
Brush: 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Haslinger Sheepmilk & Lanolin – Face lather
Aftershave: Element Botanicals Man up tonic
Additional Care: Thayer’s / Jack Shave spritz
IMG_20190710_212148.jpg

Thursday SOTD

GEM 1912
GEM PTFE (7)
Long Rifle Bay Rhum (sample)
Stirling Synthetic 22mm x 51mm
Aqua Velva Ice Blue​

Timeless Polished T1 .95 SB Head
Russian Ti Handle
Feather
Cold River Schapenmelk Shave Soap
Zenith Boar Brush
PAA Mysterium Serum
Kramperts Finest Bay Rum

SOTD 2019-07-11

Hot water prep
1972 Wizamet Junior P1 / Wizamet Iridium (1)
Stando Red Synthetic
Lider shaving cream
Przemyslawka EDC

proxy.php

Thursday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Soap: Los Angeles Shaving Soap Woody Lavender
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (3)
Brush: oscar11 Boar-26mmx60mm
Aftershave: Country Club Classic Fougere

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

LASS Woody Lavender today. 20 seconds to load the oscar11 Boar brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus in the Gillette Slim. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Country Club Classic Fougere aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Thursday

Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Best
Soap: Arko
Razor: Gillette New Bar Handle SC
Blade: Dorco ST300
A/S: Brut Splash-on
Cologne / Fragrance: Zirh Ikon

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.