What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 6th - July 12th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday's shave vign.jpg

Woke up this a.m. to find a leak in the hot water heater. Not the best way to start the day. I am using Mallard RC again today. The brush is my oldest one: a Hoffrtiz I bought in 1993. He is a small guy but does a good job. The razor is my newest one: a Wolfman WR2 SS SB 1.05 loaded with a Wizamet Super Iridium. After my usual four-pass shave, I applied Thayers Rose Petal WH and Clubman. The fragrance was GFT Sandalwood. I am close to the end of that fragrance.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD,Tue, July 7th 2020

Razor: Pal injecto-matic razor-Mfg 1952> They called it the million dollar razor because of what they spent to tool up.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (3) great blade for sharpness & longevity.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- nice scent and great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm Sagrada Familia named after famous cathedral in Barcelona Spain- great lathering brush.
Pre- shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 3 tiny nicks= :wink2: just got careless this morning with technique with this razor and it let me know.
SE SOTD, Tue, july 7th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Tuesday, 7/7:

20200707_091812.jpg

Razor - Global Shave Club Espresso
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Wolf Whiskers Becky 24mm synthetic fan
Soap - Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint
A/S - OneBlade balm

Terrific! I decided to save what was left from loading in the bowl last time, and wouldn't you know it, plenty of good lather for today's shave. I love this scent. Mint is really doing it for me lately, and I love lavender, so the combo is unbeatable. Just a nice, clean, pure scent; really addictive. Lather was really nice, and the razor did a really great job. I'm liking this one a lot. It feels very mild, but the shave was really close, on a fifth-use Astra no less, it surprised me. No irritation or nicks, just clean, smooth, and ready to go. 👍

0B3A716E-4DC6-4866-9988-593A74E85CD5.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY, JULY 7, 2020

Today's shave was totally relaxed and quite enjoyable. SWMBO is almost 400 miles away on Cape Cod romping and frolicking with her son and his girlfriend, and it's just my dachshund, Gromit, and I back here in the Philly burbs. What I like about Gromit is that he's a very non-critical observer more interested in chewing his Nylabone than my shave particulars. I've informed my son that I'm keeping this Damascus straight razor along with both Feather Barber's razors. I love Menthol as many of you know, and have developed a real fondness for Osage Rub (OR). So much so that I've subscribed to it on Amazon. It's been incredibly humid and hot for the last few weeks, and while it's great to use during the shaving process, it's even better after one has been working outside as a capstone splash to a good cold soap and water wash. The stuff works all day! They ain't lying' when they describe it as an "Invigorating Splash for Head and Face". Whoo doggie, it sure is!

There's something about this Damascus blade that I prefer over my Dovo's blade besides the fact that it's honed. It just feels better in hand. The knurling on the spine is a nice touch and may contribute to the latter. In any case after my shower and cold water wash, I decided to to return the PAA Preshave Cube. I prefer Rabid Banana over the Charcoal versions I had been using. I stopped using the Charcoal version because of the black mess I always had to clean off my face. No such problem with the Rabid Banana which also has a delightful fruity scent. After applying it I lathered up with Nancy Boy and enjoyed a slow, relaxing two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS mug shave with the Damascus Straight leaving some residual stubble in the usual places, which I have decided to, at this point in my straight razor journey, forego cleaning up. Besides, it was time to use what Ruds Shaves proclaimed as his 2019 Safety razor of the year pick. The RazoRock SS DLC coated DE safety razor has been neglected lately, so it was time for a spin. What I really like about this razor is that it just works! Mowing down the residual facial stubble around the Adam's Apple took no time, and moved me from bloodless DFS to VBBS on the Mug.

The dome shave was a real delight. After rinsing the skull in ice cold water, I scrubbed the noggin shave surfaces thoroughly with the Rabid Banana Preshave cube. It really felt great and was definitely accentuated by the ice cold Nancy Boy lather applied directly on top. I've been reading many shave commentaries of late on my home TSD forum referencing riding the bar vs riding the cap. I don't believe I've ever ridden the cap, and I've been shaving with DEs for a very long time. My straight razor journey has focused my attention on skin stretching, but even more importantly on blade to skin touch, or what many refer to as 'blade feel'. Before returning to straight razors I was very aware of the 'negative pressure' mantra trumpeted about in the wet shaving forums. That's clearly important, but when combined with skin stretching, I realized that 'blade feel' is a very important component of the process except in negative or neutral exposure safety razor designs like the AS-D2 or Colonial Silversmith where it isn't immediately apparent. It's really all about 'blade feel' and the 'sweet spot' for a particular safety razor. So I don't find the whole riding the cap vs riding the bar metaphors particularly helpful personally. YMMV! Sorry about the shaving philosophy excursus. The noggin shave with this wonderful safety razor was a brilliant two pass (WTG, ATG) that delivered your very pleased shaving narrator to VBBS land. I do feel very refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Damascus Straight 7/10 Koa Scales (Mug); RazoRock SS DLC Lupo (Dome & Mug cleanup)
BLADE: Sharp Star (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L Tuxedo Synth
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel and Ultimo Cologne.

SE SOTD,Tue, July 7th 2020

Razor: Pal injecto-matic razor-Mfg 1952> They called it the million dollar razor because of what they spent to tool up.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (3) great blade for sharpness & longevity.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- nice scent and great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm Sagrada Familia named after famous cathedral in Barcelona Spain- great lathering brush.
Pre- shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 3 tiny nicks= :wink2: just got careless this morning with technique with this razor and it let me know.
View attachment 1122689
Have some great shaves!
Gorgeous image, Ron! Great shot of the Pal really highlights some of the differences from the competing Schick Injectors of the period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom