What's new

Soon to be centenarian to kick off the New Year

IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
This old timer is going to be 100. To kick off the New Year, I will give it a cleaning and give it a 100th Birthday shave. I got this razor from my Great Uncle and was told it was from 1918 courtesy of Uncle Sam. That was 1976. Yes, I fixed a crack in it with solder years ago but it adds to the patina.

You and me both! I have a shot. Great Grandmother was 102 and Grandfather was 97. He had siblings that spun the odometer so it's possible

Last time I used it, It was a great shave. As a kid, I was told not to use it because it would pare the skin off me. Along with that Khaki Set he gave me a 30's fat handle triangle slot Tech. The Tech is a fine razor too. Then Dad got me a SS and I kept these old timers tucked away. After discovering this great forum, I realized what gems I had in my hands.

View attachment 847725 View attachment 847726 View attachment 847727 This old timer is going to be 100. To kick off the New Year, I will give it a cleaning and give it a 100th Birthday shave. I got this razor from my Great Uncle and was told it was from 1918 courtesy of Uncle Sam. That was 1976. Yes, I fixed a crack in it with solder years ago but it adds to the patina.
Wonderful story... can't imagine anyone saying that about their Fusion in about 85 years.

Gillette used to be the best a man could get. Now all you get is an overpriced over hyped piece of plastic.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I will pass it on to a Nephew so he can have it for a generation. Back when these razors were made, Gillette was King (pun intended). Today's products have zero going for them. Overpriced, cheaply made dreck. Who wants to pay rent once a month for 4 carts that each does not last a week, cannot clean or enjoy the experience. I gave that up years ago

Congratulations! I would not be surprised if you soon have a line of people signing up to become your nephew! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story!

I know my Great Uncle would be most pleased to know that I still have it and use it and it will soldier on for future generations. He was a kind refined man. My Great Aunt would be happy too.

Thanks all! I just showed it to my daughter and told her how old it is. She cannot fathom something made today would last a 100 years like this did. Tomorrow we will scrub it up and get it ready. I'm excited for some open comb!

Very little made today is going to last a decade, let alone a century....

Great razor!

Sadly, all my relatives of that generation either got shaved at the barber's or didn't save their shaving equipment. I do have a Schick injector from the 40's from my Dad's father, but nothing cool like an Old. Buying one on eBay isn't the same as having one passed down to you.

Top Bottom