What's new

Some Ebay prices getting out of hand.

V

VR6ofpain

$51 is still too expensive for a slim.
How do you figure that? People typically pay more than that for a Vision, and almost that for a Progress. The Slim IMO is a far superior design than both of them. And someone got a brand new one for $51. Add in the rare factor and I think many people would pay that.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was brand new, I thought it was a used one in a case. I bought a few in cases in excellent condition for $25-30 earlier this year. Yeah if it was unused in it's original case, then it's worth $51 or more.

I'm sticking with buying Merkur razors. I put a bid in on a used Hoffritz slant and the price shot up in to the $60 range in the last few minutes. Many nice vintage razors are collectors items, so you're better off buying new razors.

As with all auctions, bid on auctions ending that day. Simply keep watch on items with more than one day left. It saves you time by giving you a pool of items to choose from if the one you're bidding on ends and you lost. simply ask yourself how much you really want to spend on it. Put that amount in and let auto-bid do the rest. If you lose, don't look back or worry about the fact that you were outbid by a penny. Just pick another specimen and try again.

If you go for months and can't win a bid, it's time to reconsider what you're willing to spend.

IMHO someone got a pretty good deal.

Aye Jay +1000, someone did on that first one.

I'm sticking with buying Merkur razors. I put a bid in on a used Hoffritz slant and the price shot up in to the $60 range in the last few minutes. Many nice vintage razors are collectors items, so you're better off buying new razors.

As with all auctions, bid on auctions ending that day. Simply keep watch on items with more than one day left. It saves you time by giving you a pool of items to choose from if the one you're biffing on ends and you lost. simply ask yourself how much you really want to spend on it. Put that amount in and let auto-bid do the rest. If you lose, don't look back or worry about the fact that you were outbid by a penny. Just pick another specimen and try again.

If you go for months and can't win a bid, it's time to reconsider what you're willing to spend.

Hi Kenyth, I can agree with about half of what you say in the statement I boldfaced above. Vintage razors are collector's items but I don't know if you're better off buying new razors as an exclusive practice. I've sold off all of my Merkurs with the exception of one, a long handled HD, and I seldom use it. It's not a bad shaver and it has that Gillette single ring old type homage look going for it but I really enjoy the Gillettes and Gems I shave with.

Your advice on how to avoid "Ebay mania" is sound enough. It's easy to get caught up in buyer frenzy and loser's remorse if you're not careful.

I completely concur with your last statement. If you're consistently losing on the same type of razor due to low bids, you probably do need to reformulate either your bidding strategy or set your sights on a more attainable i.e. affordable razor. The good thing is there are plenty of good ones out there and there is one for every budget.

V

VR6ofpain

You mention an old Hoffritz. From what I have seen the Hoffritz labeled and Pomco (and even older Merkur labeled) slants of years back have a far superior finish to the Merkur Slants being sold today. I assume it is related to production costs, but I would pick up a NOS or "mint" Hoffritz slant over a brand new Slant anyday. The build quality of them WAS far superior as far as I can tell. As they say, "a picture is worth 1000 words". Look at close up photos of the older Merkur/Hoffritz/Pomco slants and compare them to close up photos of the current Merkur slant. The new ones are covered in production flaws. The old ones are not.

Also, who else here thinks that Ebay "Doesn't mind" shill bidding? Let's face it. The more it sells for, the more money they make. How? They made it possible to retract a bid fairly easily. That makes it VERY easy to shill bid. IMHO, all bids should be final and offering to the next highest bidder should be prohibited as well. I'm positive I've been shill bidded on once or twice. When the bid jumps all the way up to just under your maximum, something stinks.

This is lunacy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320151582610

Just a week ago a brand new Slim, still in the blister pack went for $52. Why would someone pay ~$80 for a used one pretending to be "NOS"? Did they want the blue package? This seller is crazy. The razor does note even look new. It is really dull.

So what, Gabe? It's the market system. It's buyer and seller, you know. I could be accusing you for driving up the price on the Aristocrat I wanted.:biggrin:

This is lunacy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320151582610

Just a week ago a brand new Slim, still in the blister pack went for $52. Why would someone pay ~$80 for a used one pretending to be "NOS"? Did they want the blue package? This seller is crazy. The razor does note even look new. It is really dull.

Look a little closer at the differences in the auctions that you posted, most of the High bid items seller would ship worldwide all the ones that are low the sellar would only ship to the US. It might be that the market outside the US is willing to pay more than the domestic US market.

You must remember, to some people, US prices are cheap. It is sometimes cheaper for me to order stuff from the US, and have it shipped here, than it is for me to buy it here. Also, the US has a huge variety of razors on eBay, which are not available elsewhere.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: You know what the funny part is, the English aristocrat from the US vendor that was sold this weekend for 200+$ was bought.... by a gentleman from the UK:lol: :lol: :lol: .

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: You know what the funny part is, the English aristocrat from the US vendor that was sold this weekend for 200+$ was bought.... by a gentleman from the UK:lol: :lol: :lol: .

I notice the winner had to outbid the next highest bidder by $100 just to clear the reserve price. So there was only one buyer willing to pay that much.

Norm

Howdy all,
Just got into the site, I enjoy reading your posts (especially when involving my razors). Do remember ccollector's quality is on a different price scale. eBay prices are subject to weekly swings based on whoever and how many are bidding. Same items can swing 2x from one week to the other. The reserve is quite helpful to protect the seller's end. The $250 aristocrat was a bargain, considereding its relative from two weeks ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147784690&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=011
About worldwide sales,the comments were correct, items get better prices when offered that way, but many selers avoid doing so because of the hussle.
Cheers!
(C_S_R)

Howdy all,
Just got into the site, I enjoy reading your posts (especially when involving my razors). Do remember ccollector's quality is on a different price scale. eBay prices are subject to weekly swings based on whoever and how many are bidding. Same items can swing 2x from one week to the other. The reserve is quite helpful to protect the seller's end. The $250 aristocrat was a bargain, considereding its relative from two weeks ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147784690&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=011
About worldwide sales,the comments were correct, items get better prices when offered that way, but many selers avoid doing so because of the hussle.
Cheers!
(C_S_R)

Hi welcome to B&B and happy to see you registered and where willing to disclose your identity instead of just lurking in the background.:biggrin: I really love the razors you put up for sale. Awesome finds. When you set the reserve price, how do you decide? If you do not mind sharing that info.

Thanks. Many times the reserve is there simply to cover the seller's costs of purchasing the item. Sometimes it is designed to hit a desired range and by that maximize final sale value. I guess you would have to be pretty familiar with the market dynamics, otherwise you'll end with the item unsold. On the flip side, there is a certain momentum to the bidding process that often yields higher sale price than what you'd get in reserve or fixed-price auctions.

Top Bottom