What's new

Some Ebay prices getting out of hand.

Another one that went for $32, a little dirtier, with a different case. The razor looks a little different too.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Hmmmm, mildly beat up barber pole open comb aristocrat with not a lot of detialed pics.

I think I would be psyched to get into something like that for $32 as a shaver. They don't come up too often and the mint ones are astronomical. Probably not a british model. I bet that one would clean up pretty nicely.

Then again, maybe I have just gotten too used to the big bids on these things.

V

VR6ofpain

Hmmmm, mildly beat up barber pole open comb aristocrat with not a lot of detialed pics.

I think I would be psyched to get into something like that for $32 as a shaver. They don't come up too often and the mint ones are astronomical. Probably not a british model. I bet that one would clean up pretty nicely.

Then again, maybe I have just gotten too used to the big bids on these things.
I just don't have the heart to bid on them anymore. Seems ridiculous. Probably rather spend the money on a brand new Merkur, just to get the "new" feel. All my razors currently are vintage.

I just don't have the heart to bid on them anymore. Seems ridiculous. Probably rather spend the money on a brand new Merkur, just to get the "new" feel. All my razors currently are vintage.
Gabe, That's exactly what I did. I was looking around for a Big Fellow because I wanted a razor with more heft. There weren't too many around on Ebay and at the time I was looking they seemed somewhat hot. I wanted a New Standard or NEW style Big Fellow (or Big Boy) and those are even rarer than the Old Style Big Fellows.

So I got the Merkur 38C when they first hit the states and am loving it. I'm rotating my old Gilettes in occasionally but for the most part have left them behind. I still look around on the Bay out of curiosity but I haven't placed any bids for months. RAD has been satiated for now........

Gabe, That's exactly what I did. I was looking around for a Big Fellow because I wanted a razor with more heft. There weren't too many around on Ebay and at the time I was looking they seemed somewhat hot. I wanted a New Standard or NEW style Big Fellow (or Big Boy) and those are even rarer than the Old Style Big Fellows.

So I got the Merkur 38C when they first hit the states and am loving it. I'm rotating my old Gilettes in occasionally but for the most part have left them behind. I still look around on the Bay out of curiosity but I haven't placed any bids for months. RAD has been satiated for now........

Well, we can't have that! That's un-Amurrican! So, if you like the 38C and the old open combs, note the 12C (open comb version of the 38C) is available here, and perhaps at other fine vendors around you.:thumbup: I have used the 12C about a month now, and like it quite a lot.

Well, we can't have that! That's un-Amurrican! So, if you like the 38C and the old open combs, note the 12C (open comb version of the 38C) is available here, and perhaps at other fine vendors around you.:thumbup: I have used the 12C about a month now, and like it quite a lot.
As the post said "satiated for now". Next time I am ready to treat myself, and find some room in the cabinet, and feel SWMBO will be cool with one more shaving item on premis - the 12C will be mine. No question about it - that's next on the list - sigh, someday.

V

VR6ofpain

Hey guys, I got a second chance offer on this one. Any opinoins?
I also got a second chance offer! Sounds like some bid shilling going on to me. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

I also got a second chance offer! Sounds like some bid shilling going on to me. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

Does sound fishy, but do the ebay rules allow that? I'm thinking they do; it's like putting out a BIN for two different potential buyers / previous bidders.
I've got one of those razors, in about that condition, and won't part with it. Great balance, great style, close shave.

Norm

V

VR6ofpain

Regardless of eBay rules, if he really did have two of them, he isn't showing a photos of the second one. I was just suspect of the high bidder not actually taking it and only have two feedbacks. Makes me think it was a friend of his trying to push up the price (thinking we other bidders had put something higher). This is bid shilling, which is against eBay rules, but hard to track.

Bid Shilling -- The use of shills is as old as the auction business itself. The way it works on the Internet Auction is that a seller lists an item and then either bids on it himself using an alternate account or has some friends or partners bid on the item for the sole purpose of driving up the price. The bids are false bids never meant to be honored whose sole purpose is to drive up the selling price by forcing the real bidders to bid higher. This is probably the most common of the auction scams. It is also very difficult for the ordinary bidder to detect whether or not he has been the victim of a shill scam. Experienced bidders familiar with the system can at times detect suspected shills. Shilling is forbidden by E-Bay and is also against the law in many states; but it happens all too frequently. Some shilling activities that have been uncovered have shown that some individuals have had as many as 5 or more separate E-Bay accounts.

I sent an email to the seller to inquire if it was a duplicate item and the condition of the combs. Specifically if they were bent. This is his reply.

"Yes it is the same item. the winner had problems with the shipping. We decided to end the sale. As far as the combs there are two combs which are bent a little but not enough to disfigure. "

Gabe,
The person that originally outbid you, jon4atee, is registered in the UK. When I bid (wolf9703) I found that I had a margin of $3.99 to my max bid. I put in the second bid as a psych bid. The winner, elad, has purchased several DEs and seems to snipe. Sounds real. I'm not going to take it. It is time that I tried to kick my addiction. I've probably got 20 DEs or Shicks and an equal number of straights.

V

VR6ofpain

I just don't like the feel of it. Regardless I just scored a nice Rocket so I no longer want this razor anyway. Looking forward to my new English Gillette!

The item location is Europe. If the buyer is from that part of the world he most likely paid in Euro's ($58 US. ). That's still too much for us here in the US but if you were to ship a boxed Slim from US i guess he would pay a lot in shipping.

Slims may be next in the queue to Fat Boys over in the Eurozone regarding their desirability and relative rarity (over there). The same situation obtains this side of the pond with the US and the Brit FTR. In Britain they shake their head and think folk in the US have gone mental when they pay $40 and up for one. Like the George Harrison song says, "It's all up to what you value." Which reminds me I need to fish that CD out of the archives-it's awesome.

V

VR6ofpain

A NOS Slim Adjustable still in the plastic bubble package just ended on ebay for $51.02, which is a much better deal than $80 for a used one!

Top Bottom