What's new

Soderfors extra specialstal

Info on this c.v. h would be much appreciated. I have a mk 31 also what I believe is a "newer" regular c.v. h . This new find has me curious.the scales are ivory and seem to be original. No washers at the pin. Seems to be a 4/8 hollow. The only I d is the c.v.h and eskilstuna on tang and etching on blade. Thanks in advance. I'm guessing 1920's.? Thanks
IMAG1091.jpg

"Söderfors extra specialstål" translates "Extra Special Steel from Söderfors". Once in a while i go to the small community of Söderfors to take a walk along the streets that haven't changed much since this industrial community was founded in the 1600's to supply the Imperial Swedish Army with high quality steel. At the start the main product was anchors to the navy that kept the main Swedish transport route, the Baltic Sea, closed for all foreign warships. The empire finally fell after centuries of war with Russia, but Söderfors remained being one of the top producers of Swedish high quality steel.

Your razor is made in the 1920's, before Kindal bought the rapidly declining Heljestrand company. At the time Heljestrand only had two good products; The No.24 near wedge 4/8 razor and your razor. Most often your razor is marked as No.2 and has bakelite scales. Your specimen though is a luxury version with its ivory and Söderfors marking. I guess that it was made as an act of desperation. The later entry (1925-27) of Magnus Kindal meant that Heljestrand took over the thumb notch series (including your 31) from Jernbolaget, and Heljestrand could continue production until 1980.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You know I was just gonna pm you but I figured the thread title would catch your attention. Thank you very much for the info. This write up with pics just made my find even cooler.

You know I was just gonna pm you but I figured the thread title would catch your attention. Thank you very much for the info. This write up with pics just made my find even cooler.

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could be of help. just by chance I happened to be doing the final restoration work on this Hellberg this morning. It is from the same time period as your razor and made out of the same steel from Söderfors.

20180225_145721.jpg

Indeed. I was almost going to pass on this one being that I have two.this one did seem unique so I went for it.

Arne thanks for another great lesson....and my wife says i never learn anything....hah!

Beautiful razors also gent!!

I picked up one of these today. I don't think it has ever been used. I do not know if the box goes with the razor.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mine was lightly used. I could not get a 100 percent edge but I also didn't want to wear down the spine.

Top Bottom